Winterising - Fridge melt water, worth checking!

Daves

When was the last time you used your van fridge? Chances are that, when you last switched it off and defrosted it, the melt water dissappeared down the pipe at the back and has been sitting in the receiver at the back of the fridge since. If the ice-box was particularly chocked with ice, the water may have even overflowed from the receiver onto the floor of the van behind the fridge. Not good news obviously at any time but during the recent frosts its been merrily freezing and melting and doing damaged that you would never know about unless you took the vents off to look. By now the receiver itself could have split ready to dump the next lot of melt water onto the floor to continue the rot.

Add this to your winterising list!

Or you could always do what I have done and add a drain tube to the bottom of the receiver routed down through the gas drop in the floor to empty on the ground below.

You should be able to make something out of washer tubing or similar sized nylon pipe and fittings.

By using the receiver as a 'half-way' house (rather than simply extending the existing drain tube) if ever the hose below the floor freezes then the fridge would still drain into the reciever as originally.

All I do now is look for a small pool of water on the floor after switching off the fridge, Simples!

Keith.

I agree regarding the little receiver at the back. If nothing else it will be partly filled with smelly water which will make you wonder what has died in the fridge. I usually take it out and wash it all and poke a pipe cleaner or cotton bud up the pipe. A good job to do when on site in the sun, put it all back together and congratulate yourself with a cold beer.

Archived