possible van change

ips

Lying here on the floor (have been for 5 days now) with acute sciatica (again, had it for nearly 30yrs) I am thinking that the climb into the tranverse bed above the garage may not be an ideal thing to be doing long term as my sciatica is likely to get worse and or more regular. Cant unfortunately do anything about carreer change even though my job is less than ideal for my sciatica.

S0 ........... reccomendations for van change with following criterea.

Must be brand new

Preferably max 5.99m

2 / 3 berth

Ideally transit based but not essential

Permanent made up bed but low not over garage

Dont suppose a garage will be an option with layout so a lot of / big storage lockers

Nice usable shower

Preferably off side door

Open to all suggestions even if not exactly as above, you never know I may be missing an alternative ideal.

Thanks in advance, loking forward to replies.

ips

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks judge

7 or even 7.5m is do-able if needs must but I know mrs ips would not go for the single bed option.

Have looked at adria in the past when we got the current MH and liked em, in fact an adria model was on the short list.

Could even be converted to PVC if there was a made up bed and cat swinging space option :-D

I do like the sporty look of a PVC but we could never find one that suited, as I say ..... open to all suggestions.

When my back is playing up,the thing that I find I need the most in the van,is floor space...

(... as just putting socks on,involves all manor of contortions,with arms flailing all over the place and legs cramping up etc).

Although our current van has a low(ish)level french bed,it can still be a struggle to get out of and I think our next van,would probably be an island bed model(..if we could find one that wasn't too long and "tail-heavy" looking).

.....how about this for a compromise?

Low-level transverse rear bed with storage under. (the brochure shows the bed raised, as well, so maybe its an extensible garage). Helps to meet your 5.99m challenge.

Ticks about all your boxes (the shower is cosy, but it's the same as mine, and I'm not small.) ;-)

Also nicely panel-van width - which I can ssure you is not a bad thing in a coachbuilt.

http://camperuk.arkict.co.uk/vehicles.asp?id=86&model=Van VS

Hi ips. Sorry, no suggestions for a van, but regarding your sciatica, have you tried using a medical inversion table, can be quite effective at relieving sciatica. You hang upside down by your feet, stretching the spine, and relieving pressure on the nerves.

Brian B.

JudgeMental - 2012-02-28 2:31 PM

Twin rear singles may be the answer but you not going to get that within 6m

Adria compact SL @ 6.6 m

Agree with twin singles as you get a great 'garage' too.

The compact SL is 6.36 IIRC (std XLWB length).

I did like the SL but thought the Globecar Campscout was better, mainly due to the innovative shower arrangement which is richt in the middle of the van and, with very clever use of two sliding circular tambour doors, turns the Adria's tiny (unusable, IMHO, washroom) into a palatial en-suite in a van!

The quality seemed great and in the only van to seriously tempt me, so far, into downsizing.

http://translate.google.com/translate?tl=en&sourceid=ie8-activity&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.globecar.de%2Fde%2Fmodelle%2Fd-line%2Fcampscout.html

I wanted to see the Adria SPX but not at the Excel show.

Guest JudgeMental

me to Chris! very interested in SPX,. adria stand was pathetic with just 2 panel vans

I was not recommending the 636 long panel van as I did not realise IPS would consider a pVC. the compact SL is a coachbuilt.

I agree the globecar is the one and excellent value

JudgeMental - 2012-02-28 5:00 PM

me to Chris! very interested in SPX,. adria stand was pathetic with just 2 panel vans

I was not recommending the 636 long panel van as I did not realise IPS would consider a pVC. the compact SL is a coachbuilt.

oh er I like the trend scout and its on a tranny. Spose would have to make the bed up but prob no big deal. Wonder how usable the shower is ?

Robinhood - 2012-02-28 4:24 PM

.....how about this for a compromise?

Low-level transverse rear bed with storage under. (the brochure shows the bed raised, as well, so maybe its an extensible garage). Helps to meet your 5.99m challenge.

Ticks about all your boxes (the shower is cosy, but it's the same as mine, and I'm not small.) ;-)

Also nicely panel-van width - which I can ssure you is not a bad thing in a coachbuilt.

http://camperuk.arkict.co.uk/vehicles.asp?id=86&model=Van VS

Further variations on this theme also from Hymer, Pilote, and Dethleffs.

JudgeMental - 2012-02-28 5:00 PM

Oooops, sorry eddie! Yes, I am familiar with the compacts and they are nice, a little like the small Hobbys mentioed by Robin and Brian.

Guest JudgeMental

The trend is small there are 3 of you right? the 636 van are not much more then 1 foot over 6m.

The Fiats the best for a panel van conversion..it is wider so more practical and a fine van if buying new......I had a Ford up until last year the Fiat van is a much nicer drive...

without going out and measuring it my bed (transverse rear king size) is about a metre high. the adria has the best bed of all of them, maybe the Hymer is as good...

ips - 2012-02-28 5:03 PM

Boleroboy

Ooh I like the scout, I take it these rear transverse PVC jobs are not permanent made up beds. Also what kind of heigt would the beds be on this style of van ?

The Campscout has longitudinal singles which can be left made up and also has a filler to make it into a (very) large permanent double with huge storage - it might be a tad high though, so you would need to check.

Also the 'seperate' shower (utilising the normally void space in the 'corridor') is really very spacious. The upside is that it leaves the toilet as just that with a small basin and no compromise to try and include a (naff) showering facility.

When not using the shawer, the void returns to being the corridor....................pretty clever I thought, although i saw Basil thought it was all a bit complicated.............??

JudgeMental - 2012-02-28 5:57 PM

The trend is small there are 3 of you right? the 636 van are not much more then 1 foot over 6m.

The Fiats the best for a panel van conversion..it is wider so more practical and a fine van if buying new......I had a Ford up until last year the Fiat van is a much nicer drive...

without going out and measuring it my bed (transverse rear king size) is about a metre high. the adria has the best bed of all of them, maybe the Hymer is as good...

Only two of us since mini is beggered off to windsor with new job, so this has made us re-think our criteria.

Now VERY interested in PVC if we can find a suitable layout. I particularily like ford allways have but if you have had both and consider the fial a better drive then who am I to argue.

Globecar seems to be a ery good price am I right in thinking that the comparable adria would be closer to 40k as I would like to keep to sub 35k if possible.

Hi IPS

The Flash 04 came with an option to make the front dinette ito a double bed @£197 (from the 2011 catalogue) although i think it was a factory fitted option im sure it could be done retrospectivley by using an infil piece between the side facing seat and side of the fridge where the grab handle is and of course a suitable piece of foam. Just a thought as this would give you a lower bed at minimal cost. I am considering such a mod to our van as the Twin grandaughters are getting a bit bigger now!

Dave

How about one of these:-

http://www.rapido.fr/sites/gbr/prod.php?ref=891f&serie=8

Brownhills had one when we were up there last and we were discussing it with the couple that ended up buying it. It was very nice and I think that the bed, when not in use, sits up and gives you a bit more room around the end. There is still a small garage and a decent size lounge. The downsize is the kitchen, but its exactly like mine and I manage perfectly well, you just need to be organised.

If we had won the lottery, I would think about buying one.

thebishbus - 2012-02-28 4:28 PM

Hi ips. Sorry, no suggestions for a van, but regarding your sciatica, have you tried using a medical inversion table, can be quite effective at relieving sciatica. You hang upside down by your feet, stretching the spine, and relieving pressure on the nerves.

Brian B.

I can highly recommend an inversion table I got a second hand one (as new condition) off E bay a couple of years ago and it definitely helps to relieve sciatica.

D.

Oh dear, poor old you ... :-(

Have you considered looking into altering your van so the bed will go lower - seeing as it's already got the 'lowering' mechanism anyway, it might be possible to alter the front panel and move the mechanism down to allow it to go lower, this would still leave you with the drawers and steps (if you need them).

An alternative Chausson is the S2 which has a fixed French bed amidships, with a very large washroom and separate shower across the rear. The front end of the fixed bed utilises the folded rear seat back and there is still a fair amount of storage under the bed itself, although I don't think there is any external access to it. We saw it at the NEC in 2010 when we bought our 04 and we were very impressed with it, had we not wanted a garage, we might have got it ourselves.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Chausson-Flash-S2/_ch1_rw740

This is all very interesting suff so thanks far, spoken to mrs ips and or various reasons we are defo very interested in a PVC so new criteria is

PVC max 6m

new around 35k

made up double or easy to make and must be low and easy to get in out of bed

pref offside door

pref tranny base

in the lead so far is the globecar fortscout really like the look of that but need to see one in the flesh

Archived