New Ford Transit

PCC

Finally, some pictures of the new Ford Transit.

http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2012-tourneo_custom_concept/

Will have short and long wheelbase and a chasis cab version. Looks like a competitor for the VW transporter so smaller than the current Transit. They're saying that it won't be sold in the US so presumably there will be another, larger, version of the Transit announced in the future.

By the way, Fiat have announced that they are pulling out of the Sevel agreement with Peugeot and Citroen that builds the Ducato, Boxer and Relay (and the Scudo etc) in a few years time and will make there own van, probably with Dodge in the US. I suspect this will make a huge difference to the motorhome market

Unsurprisingly, lots of interest, discussion and pictures on the Ford Transit forum.

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=104702

The vehicle shown in the photos would supersede the current 8-seat Transit Tourneo. How much of the concept will turn up in 'commercial' Transits remains to be seen. Let's hope there's (at last!) cab-seats with adequate height adjustment and an instrument panel that can be read in daylight.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-02-29 6:47 PM

Unsurprisingly, lots of interest, discussion and pictures on the Ford Transit forum.

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=104702

The vehicle shown in the photos would supersede the current 8-seat Transit Tourneo. How much of the concept will turn up in 'commercial' Transits remains to be seen. Let's hope there's (at last!) cab-seats with adequate height adjustment and an instrument panel that can be read in daylight.

Totally agree with that Derek, it's the one thing that we think is really naff about the van!!!! :-S

Derek Uzzell - 2012-02-29 6:47 PM

The vehicle shown in the photos would supersede the current 8-seat Transit Tourneo. How much of the concept will turn up in 'commercial' Transits remains to be seen.

As little as possible I hope!

That thing's not a Transit - looks more like a Japanese import of some sort to me.

If that's destined to be the biggest "light commercial" in Ford's stable, the Sevel guys must be laughing their heads off.

And I speak as a founder member of "DAFTIES" - Devotees and Afficcionados of Ford Transits In Every Shape (although I actually changed the organisation's name when they brought out the "Connect" - that silly little thing didn't count either!)

It's well recognised that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I've always felt that the frontal treatment of the 2006-onwards Mk 7 Transit was seriously unattractive.

The front of the Tourneo Concept has the 'house look' of recent Ford cars, particularly the latest Mondeo. I note that the Concept's windscreen-wipers sweep to the windscreen pillars, rather than from side to side, so there would be no need for distinct LHD or RHD wiper-arm positioning. The headlights look like they just MIGHT offer a switchable 'RHD/LHD' dipped-beam pattern, which would be a boon for many motorcaravanners.

There's a small red picture on the Transit forum that suggests what a panel-van equivalent of the Tourneo Concept might look like. Sure it has a similarity to some Japanese people-carriers

http://tinyurl.com/7jt87o4

but why should that be a bad thing? What would be really nice is if the next Transit had a similar duration warranty!

Owners of motorcaravans based on earlier Transits should not despair if they feel psychologically threatened by a radically revamped new version. There are companies offering products to transform your boring old 'commercial' cab's appearance - for example:

http://www.van-x.co.uk/vx-store-4/index.php?route=product/category&path=63

Adding shiny door handle/mirror covers and step protectors, a chequered bonnet-bra and a deeper front bumper to your Transit will do wonders for your self-esteem and attract envious glances from wardens and fellow campers at Caravan Club campsites. Who needs a posh new Transit when, for a few hundred pounds, you can 'pimp up' your present vehicle? More ideas on:

Deeply grateful Derek - low self-esteem has always been a big problem for me (ask my family :D :D )! I'll get onto "pimping my ride" straight away.

Trouble is, to buy that lot I'll now have to sell the van and buy an older one, which will wipe out the self-esteem advantage anyway.

What I HAVE succumbed to, because after 4 yrs I was getting fed up with all the black & grey in front of me, is real wood dash trim, which I ordered yesterday. I'll let you know how it looks.

It's about as much 'Transit' as what it is Lamborghini. Certainly neither use nor ornament to the motorhome/campervan market. The ridiculously raked angle of the windscreen would necessitate a pop-up roof in order just to move around inside the damn thing. And look at the dashboard disaster.......oh dear! *-)

Where on earth do you stick your mug of tea/coffee, pens, pads etc? There is no storage space at all.

Dashboard storage and practicality is big bug of mine since previously owning a Mk3/4 Transit which had flat surfaces giving two big trays in the centre where you could stick loads of junk that didn't fall on the floor every time you turned a corner, plus a very useful trough just below the heater controls where you could store a supply of pens, pencils, fag lighters or whatever. All within easy reach of the driver too.......brilliant.

My Mk5 dashboard does have some storage in the form of a big deep 'box', but unfortunately it's on the passenger side well away from reach of the driver.

This new 'Transit' (which just isn't a Transit at all) has a glove box.......and that's it. One great mass of ugly plastic serving no other purpose than to mount instruments.

ChrisB - 2012-02-29 5:24 PM

Nice vehicle, but I can't see it replacing the "standard" Transit. Looks more like the size to replace the smaller "Connect" version?

I assume that this Tourneo will replace the current Tourneo.

(?)

Tony Jones - 2012-03-01 9:16 AM

Deeply grateful Derek - low self-esteem has always been a big problem for me (ask my family :D :D )! I'll get onto "pimping my ride" straight away.

Trouble is, to buy that lot I'll now have to sell the van and buy an older one, which will wipe out the self-esteem advantage anyway.

What I HAVE succumbed to, because after 4 yrs I was getting fed up with all the black & grey in front of me, is real wood dash trim, which I ordered yesterday. I'll let you know how it looks.

Next step should be to treat "Roxie" to a full-body wrap.

http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk/

I'm thinking all-over matt black, with heavily tinted window-glass, wide black alloy wheels and a pull-down chromed-mesh protective cover for the windscreen, with "Roxie" written in shocking-pink diagonally across the bonnet. (Sort of SWAT meets Sheilas' Wheels.) 'Flames' behind the wheel arches would also be good.

Hmmmm ... maybe I'll stick with the wood dash for now.

It arrived yesterday - looks as if it'll be great. Just noticed though, the instructions talk about using something translated as "primer" first, which was supposed to be in the box but wasn't.

I've sent a message to the seller, but in the meantime does anyone know what this refers to? Is it just an "alcohol wipe" for total cleaning, or something more important?

Typical press blurb with not a mention of GVW. It looks to me that Ford will be moving away from the one cab does everything of the current Transit range to this mid size probably up to 2800 gvw model and a RWD only for the larger size vans. Posssiby even has high as 5000 kg to compete with the other manufacturers. Will any be made at Southampton or has that plant closed down. My money is on the real Trannies being bashed out in Turkey again.

No doubt a few converters will try the quart in a pint pot trick on the Torneo , Ok if you are less than 5ft 8in tall, slim and agile. Not for us then.

George Collings - 2012-03-03 10:13 PM

Typical press blurb with not a mention of GVW. It looks to me that Ford will be moving away from the one cab does everything of the current Transit range to this mid size probably up to 2800 gvw model and a RWD only for the larger size vans. Posssiby even has high as 5000 kg to compete with the other manufacturers. Will any be made at Southampton or has that plant closed down. My money is on the real Trannies being bashed out in Turkey again.

No doubt a few converters will try the quart in a pint pot trick on the Torneo , Ok if you are less than 5ft 8in tall, slim and agile. Not for us then.

Ford's own website says:

New Generation of Ford Commercial Vehicles

The debut of the Tourneo Custom Concept has added significance in heralding the arrival of a completely new generation of Ford commercial vehicles. The full range of models will be revealed during 2012.

Kicking off this major series of introductions, the Tourneo Custom Concept itself highlights a new family of Ford people movers and one-tonne vans which will be launched in Europe and other global markets, but will not be sold in North America.

“The imminent arrival of an all-new people mover and van is an exciting moment for us,” said Gale. “The new model gives us plenty to talk about, and we look forward to sharing more details very soon.”

This new range will be powered by enhanced versions of the new 2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel engine, which was initially introduced in 2011; with Auto-Stop-Start technology fitted as standard, Ford is targeting best-in-class fuel economy.

Three power ratings will be available: 100 PS, 125 PS and 155 PS. All versions are paired with a six-speed manual transmission and feature front-wheel drive.

The model range will include a wide choice of body styles and two wheelbases (SWB and LWB) allowing for extra luggage or goods capability where required.

Ford will be presenting larger and higher payload Transits later in 2012. These models will be sold globally, including North America, and will also feature rear-wheel-drive.

“2012 is a tremendously significant year for Ford as we begin the roll-out of a completely new range of commercial vehicles,” said Odell. “Our market-leading commercials have established a tremendous reputation for value and durability, and our new range is destined to raise this to a new level.”

So whatever ranges of people-carriers and 1-tonne vans the Tourneo Concept may spawn, these won't be the Transit chassis on which future Ford-based motorhomes will be built.

It seems that the Southampton factory is still open:

http://www.factorytour.co.uk/southampton/

That's good to hear. I was afraid Ford would go the way of Bedford.

Remember when they scrapped the good old CF, and tried to tell us a Japanese van was a "Bedford Midivan?" It lasted about five minutes, one converter (Autohomes) had an abortive go at doing something with it, and nowadays there's no such thing as a Bedford!

It came right in the end when the Nissan/Renault/GM combo started building the current Trafic etc range at Luton, but look how long that took!

Archived