Dangers of Bungee cords

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

"Behind every glass eye lies a tragic story, of cancer, assault or a moments inattention with a bungee cord".

"It's extraordinary that bungee cords seem to be the most common accidental cause of losing an eye, reinforcing the comment earlier about them needing to have warnings attached. Given the terrible outcome risk, this prominent labelling should surely be a condition of making and marketing them."

It seems that these things are the biggest cause of lost eyesight in the UK.

get rid! and use ratchet straps before you regret it! *-)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ,

Seen a lot of reports of dogs and other pets becoming entangled with these cords, one grossly even showed the dog with the cord entering the mouth and escaping out of the eye socket. The cord had been left carelessly in the boot and the dog started chewing it. Such a pity

cheers

derek

I could not endorse the comments more. We used to use these as temporary lashes to keep the sails of our cruiser from falling into the bilges or overboard into the sea as we did not have roller reefing. On returning to our moring after a day out I had one of these let go and hit me in the eye, blood everywhere not able to open my eye and imense pain. Managed to get into the tender with help from my wife and get to shore and then hospital. I was very lucky as the hook had glanced across my eye, slightly cutting/ scratching the surface and hooked my upper eylid, the cause of the blood. Fortunately no permenant damage but...... I have not used the hooked type since, my lesson learned.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental

someone on my e bike forum nearly lost his eye. Like Basel he was lucky it survived...

That is why I copied some bits from that thread. When I think back there are many times I have injured my self with them :-S

Hi;

I've just been outside getting the van ready for our first trip, and have used a couple to secure things in the boot. Never liked them, and after reading your post JM I'll pop out and remove them. Main problem I think, is that we always overstretch them. No excuses tho' thanks for the warning

regards

alan b

Very good points made. I use a few bungee cords but will look at ratchet straps. I've already had a quick look at Go Outdoors and ABC Camping. Nothing any good there.

I saw some on ebay but they appeared to be capable of strapping down a tank. I just want to use them to hold the bikes on the bike rack as a backup to the rack straps.

Any suggestions ?

John

JudgeMental - 2012-03-01 4:37 PM

"Behind every glass eye lies a tragic story, of cancer, assault or a moments inattention with a bungee cord".

"It's extraordinary that bungee cords seem to be the most common accidental cause of losing an eye, reinforcing the comment earlier about them needing to have warnings attached. Given the terrible outcome risk, this prominent labelling should surely be a condition of making and marketing them."

Eddie, where exactly did this come from????? :-S

I know a few people have lost their lives when bungee ropes have snapped or not been adjusted properly & were left too long.

but I fail to see how strapping ratchet straps to their legs instead of the bungee ropes would have saved them (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2012-03-04 6:10 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-03-01 4:37 PM

Eddie, where exactly did this come from????? :-S

from a thread on e bike forum the first quote "behind every glass eye" was from a consultant

the rest from a member on forum

Lidl do packs of ratchet straps from time to time..pretty good for the money

I've used bungee fixings for the biggest part of fourty years and never even come close to losing an eye. Surely there are plenty of items out there that are dangerous if appropriate caution and care are not taken. A chainsaw for example in the hands of a professional tree surgeon is no more dangerous than a chop saw to a carpenter but either could sever a limb if appropriate caution were not employed.

D.

Warning labels on bungees?  what ever next......

'warning this product is elasticated and if stretched and not hooked on properly it will rapidly contract bringing the hook end with it and likely whack you very hard on a delicate part of your anatomy making your eyes water and cause the utterance of a number of expletives.  It will be guaranteed to be a sensitive part of your body because these elasticated cords are designed and constructed in accordance with 'Sods Law'.......Oh and if you needed to read this to realise that elasticated straps will function in this way you probably shouldn't be allowed to play with grown ups toys'.

If you are one of the failures of the Darwin theory please only use bungees in the presence of those with a sense of humour and do not use bungees in the presence of children, women or those of a sensitive disposition because the resulting bad language uttered whilst rubbing said damaged part of your anatomy could get you arrested for being a sexual deviant'.

..ummm?..a bit odd,some of the responses to this... :-S

..If someone had posted a news article,for example,showing how some local authority/council etc,had banned their employees from using bungees,the usual response on here,would've been for everyone to go mad!

With shouts of "..nanny state.."..etc

..and not forgetting the often used(..although usually in correctly).. "PC madness"... :-S

I'm a bit suprised that,when advised to be careful of twanging,a twangy thing into your face because it may cause injury,people are receiving the news as if it had never crossed their minds before?... 8-)

Guest JudgeMental

some of you are truly moronic...

"A Seemingly Harmless Everyday Household Device has the Potential for Catastrophic Injuries

The majority of bungee cord accidents involve the eye and are becoming an increasingly common cause of both severe and penetrating eye injuries. In one hospital study, more than half the patients seen in the emergency room for bungee cord-sustained eye injuries required hospitalization for treatment of their injury. Injuries included bleeding within the eye, lacerations to the eye, traumatic cataracts, and tearing or detachment of the retina from the back of the eye. Most victims with damaged eyes had a mild-to-serious loss of vision, some had no useful vision, and some had injuries that were so severe that their eye had to be surgically removed."

"Our eye expert, a neuro-opthalmologist, testified that the bungee cord blow caused four injuries to the right eye: (1) damage to the optic nerve, (2) loss of central vision in the eye, (3) loss of color sensation and (4) marked loss of brightness sensation. These injuries made him legally blind."

there are 100's of related reports on web about this.

JudgeMental - 2012-03-05 10:47 PM

some of you are truly moronic...

"A Seemingly Harmless Everyday Household Device has the Potential for Catastrophic Injuries

The majority of bungee cord accidents involve the eye and are becoming an increasingly common cause of both severe and penetrating eye injuries. In one hospital study, more than half the patients seen in the emergency room for bungee cord-sustained eye injuries required hospitalization for treatment of their injury. Injuries included bleeding within the eye, lacerations to the eye, traumatic cataracts, and tearing or detachment of the retina from the back of the eye. Most victims with damaged eyes had a mild-to-serious loss of vision, some had no useful vision, and some had injuries that were so severe that their eye had to be surgically removed."

"Our eye expert, a neuro-opthalmologist, testified that the bungee cord blow caused four injuries to the right eye: (1) damage to the optic nerve, (2) loss of central vision in the eye, (3) loss of color sensation and (4) marked loss of brightness sensation. These injuries made him legally blind."

there are 100's of related reports on web about this.

Hey Eddie, take it easy with the name calling will ya?

D.

Well, I have to confess. I use bungee cords to hold down the wind out awning as well as a flat strap.

Last time away while packing up instead of releasing the cord before pulling the ground peg to which it was attached, I stupidly pulled the peg... a momentary lack of concentration or whatever ........... As the peg started to come loose the cord tension whipped it away, the peg shot up in the air and hit the side of my van ............... it could have flown away and hit someone and yes, the hook end could have got me........ lots of things are safe if used sensibly and with care by sensible people but just sometimes ................ I won't be using bungees for tying down the awning again: thanks for raising the issue Judge.

Harvey

Guest JudgeMental

No worries Harvey thread was for the open minded among us......Not for the minority of ever so clever, no it alls that seem to inhabit this forum.....

I only became aware of problems with these cords as it was discussed ( in a much more adult way with no point scoring) on another forum. Someone nearly lost an eye but it survived,and was told he would probably get Glaucoma. As a result. then others started contributing and it became apparent this was a real area of concern that most people don't really consider....

JudgeMental - 2012-03-05 10:47 PMsome of you are truly moronic..."A Seemingly Harmless Everyday Household Device has the Potential for Catastrophic InjuriesThe majority of bungee cord accidents involve the eye and are becoming an increasingly common cause of both severe and penetrating eye injuries. In one hospital study, more than half the patients seen in the emergency room for bungee cord-sustained eye injuries required hospitalization for treatment of their injury. Injuries included bleeding within the eye, lacerations to the eye, traumatic cataracts, and tearing or detachment of the retina from the back of the eye. Most victims with damaged eyes had a mild-to-serious loss of vision, some had no useful vision, and some had injuries that were so severe that their eye had to be surgically removed.""Our eye expert, a neuro-opthalmologist, testified that the bungee cord blow caused four injuries to the right eye: (1) damage to the optic nerve, (2) loss of central vision in the eye, (3) loss of color sensation and (4) marked loss of brightness sensation. These injuries made him legally blind."there are 100's of related reports on web about this.

Millions of items have the potential for causing catastrophic injuries but don't require warning labels on them because in general those using these items realise the potential for serious/lethal consequences.  It is called 'common sense'.  I am amazed that this 'appears' to be a genuine call for warnings to be put on bungee cords......whatever happened to common sense?  It is mentioned in the body of your post...'Accidents'...and accidents happen regardless of warning labels. 

There is enough H&S overreaction and nannying going on and it is impossible to prevent 'accidents'.  There is a theory that all this H&S/nannying interference warning about the dangers of every little thing instead leaving people to think for themselves is actually making things worse because it stops people 'thinking' for themselves....

Oh and less of the name calling please...

Like any item bungee's should be used with common sence, in the corse of my employment I've had to use shockcord at loadings that have required three people to fit them. Don't overload them and chuck them away if showing signs of damage or age decay.

p.s. be very carefull on what ratchet straps you purchase, there's some cheap ones about that are not sunlight resistant, I had one of these let go on me(maybe they should have a safety label ;-) )

Guest JudgeMental

but the risk can be entirely avoided by using ratchet straps... *-)

I was not calling for safety labels because i know very well that they will largely be ignored or removed....

Archived