Dangers of Bungee cords

Guest JudgeMental

Well I have to say that I for one am grateful to Judgemental for bringing the hazards of bungees to my attention. I hadn't really given it much thought, but I will certainly be purchasing a ratchet strap for one particular application - strapping my outdoor chairs into the rear locker, which I have been doing with a very stretched bungee. Thank you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
donna miller - 2012-03-08 1:09 PM

That photo is absolutely terrible Mel.

Nobody has turn-ups in their jeans nowadays.

.... which is why I was using them for doing the gardening in .... *-) :D

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-08 3:42 PM

:-D :-D

I'm afraid to ask this, but is the person in the photograph someone Mel used to know?

... fear not Brian, I know the person quite well ... it is I !!!!!! You'll notice that I had tied the ladders in so they couldn't move. Hubby thought I was nuts, but it was actually very secure ... honest!

:-D :->

Mel B - 2012-03-08 8:42 PM............................. fear not Brian, I know the person quite well ... it is I !!!!!! You'll notice that I had tied the ladders in so they couldn't move. Hubby thought I was nuts, but it was actually very secure ... honest! :-D :->

Hmmmmm, I rather thought it might be. Well, don't do it again! :-) You have no harness. You should work from the tree, and not from the ladder. You're using the wrong kinds of saw. Your saws are not attached to a lanyard. And, you've cut away your climbing aids before you've finished lowering the canopy. By comparison, a bungee cord is safety personified! :-D

Well, don't do it again!

- I won't need to! :-S

You have no harness.

- I had a stout strap round me, you can't see it in the picture (and I did wear goggles! B-) )

You should work from the tree, and not from the ladder.

- Not sure I understand this as there's no way I could have used the tree to support me hence the need to stand on the ladder ?????? 8-)

You're using the wrong kinds of saw

- I have a 'proper' tree saw but it couldn't be used easily, and the ones I did use worked perfectly (and more safely).

Your saws are not attached to a lanyard.

- Why should they have been - I was only about 7ft of the ground ???? (didn't you like my spare 'saw holder' ?)

You've cut away your climbing aids before you've finished lowering the canopy.

- I wouldn't have used the existing 'branches' to steady me as they were too skimpy so it made no difference!

By comparison, a bungee cord is safety personified!

- ooooooer ... the Judge will be after you for saying that! :D

Horses to water Mel! :-) I did quite a lot of tree work 20 or so years ago, in the days of Dutch Elm Disease, in Kent, so had the necessary training on use of saws, power and hand, and safe working practise. So, in case you should have to repeat the exercise:

You have a lanyard on a saw (power or hand) for three reasons: first - it stops you dripping it on someone's head, second - if you do drop it, it only falls to the end of the lanyard, so you don't have to climb down and then back up again, and third - and most important, you can climb up using both hands, while the saw follows on its lanyard, so is far safer.

A waist tie or belt is the best way to break your back if you do fall, which is why a harness is the only safe device to wear if a fall is possible.

The reason for not standing on the ladder while working is that it is less secure than the tree, so you are more likely to fall from it. In many cases it is necessary to remove the ladder before beginning to cut, in case the ladder is hit by a falling branch. This can bounce the ladder off the tree, to fall on whatever, or it can destroy the ladder.

You work your way up taking off side branches but leaving a foot or two on anything you can stand on, those are you foot and hand holds. This means all material falls clear, and you can climb back down if necessary. You rope onto the tree via your harness so that you can cut with both hands free and both feet on the tree.

Guest peter
Oi Mr moderator.......I've just noticed that some nobs started a thread about bungee cords whilst I've been away in spain. What's that got to do with motorhomes. :D

Just a relivent point on bungees, surly one reason of failures is that soo many people pull them too tight,

It's supposed to be left with elasticity which holds much better without being too tight.

I've seen so many using them pull them so tight that it is like a rope, this will cause failures.

They are very good if used for the right job, for heavy holding use other forms of straps.

peter - 2012-03-11 10:00 PM

Oi Mr moderator.......I've just noticed that some nobs started a thread about bungee cords whilst I've been away in spain. What's that got to do with motorhomes. :D

Some folk tie bits down in their motorhome with bungees, Peter, and if you get enough of them, you have a nice shock free way to tow your motorhome! You just have to think laterally. :-D

Interesting topic. Thanks to my own bungee accident last Sepember, i'm now the proud owner and user of a pair of hearing-aids. The hook came loose as I pulled it over a load (probably I hadn't fixed it properly - being a human being, I make mistakes). WHAMOH!!! - straight on top of my poor, bald head (not the eye, thankfully) and the old cliché of "making your head ring" was spot on. My hearing was instantly wrecked and hasn't got better - hence the hearing-aids.

I joked afterwards that though we appear to be bombarded with H&S advice and labelling, the humble bungee was perhaps more deserving of such attention than other more obvious things. I think it's a useful subject for discussion because, although in retrospect the potential for accidents with bungees should be obvious, it's a commonplace, superficially safe item that carries a higher risk than is immediately recognised...

"What's that....? Sorry, you'll have to speak up, I'm deaf - now"

Doug

Guest peter
Brian Kirby - 2012-03-12 11:47 AM

Some folk tie bits down in their motorhome with bungees, Peter, and if you get enough of them, you have a nice shock free way to tow your motorhome! You just have to think laterally. :-D

Good point Brian, it would avoid the usual snatching you get on take up of the rope. :D

If you attach a few to the back of the A frame towed car to top of Motorhome, then when you reverse you can lift the car up so making reversing much easier.

You can also use as a dog lead, when it runs away to pee on neighbouring pitch, cocks a leg, it looses ground grip, and comes flying back into its own pitch.

Another use, is to stretch across two awning poles and you can use as a bow for firing arrows (tent pegs) at the natives when they attack.

peter - 2012-03-12 9:42 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-12 11:47 AM

Good point Brian, it would avoid the usual snatching you get on take up of the rope. :D

Apologies, I forgot the health warning. Once the motorhome starts moving, don't brake!! :-D

Brambles - 2012-03-13 9:42 AM

... Another use, is to stretch across two awning poles and you can use as a bow for firing arrows (tent pegs) at the natives when they attack.

You could also use them like this to fire your dog over to the dog walk on CC campsites to prevent it from fouling the pitch!!! 8-) :D No ... I am NOT going to try!!!! *-)

Guest pelmetman
crinklystarfish - 2012-03-13 9:17 AM

They tend to minimise the influence of the jerk in the towing process: highly recommended.

So how do you fit them to the tugger driver?

JOKE.............HONEST :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2012-03-13 6:32 PM

... Another use, is to stretch across two awning poles and you can use as a bow for firing arrows (tent pegs) at the natives when they attack.

You could also use them like this to fire your dog over to the dog walk on CC campsites to prevent it from fouling the pitch!!! 8-) :D No ... I am NOT going to try!!!! *-)

You'd be wasting your time I think, it would probably crap itself the moment it was jettisoned.

1footinthegrave - 2012-03-13 8:02 PM

Mel B - 2012-03-13 6:32 PM

You'd be wasting your time I think, it would probably crap itself the moment it was jettisoned.

I think this idea must be abandoned, as the outcome is too uncertain. The jettisoned ballast would inevitably lighten the dog, but by an indeterminate amount, leading to almost certain overshoot by the dog and, in addition to indeterminate mass, the exit velocity of the ballast, and the timing of same, make its separate trajectory impossible to predict. Too much risk of backfire, I think! :-D

B-) Glad i read this thread,i didnt think they could be so dangerous 8-)

I treated one i was useing with great care B-)

Ive replaced mine with sail ties,from a boat shop they are thiner elastic with round plastic ends,they are more user friendly,i think :-S

I once got slapped round the earole by a bungee cord..when I was a serving soldier ..we used em for tying the bivvy./basha to trees...I was putting quite a bit of tension on said bungee when wallop off it came and slapped me round the lugole..result 4 stitches in my right ear...Did I stop using em NAH..one little cut in 25 years of soldiering...You just have to be careful....

Archived