Webasto diesel air heater problem

Mel B

In our Flash 04 we have a Webasto air heater which heats the van up lovely, however, it does it toooooo well. I've been experimenting with it today and on the lowest setting and it gets up to 25 degrees before it stops cooking us - I've checked this with a couple of thermometers (mercury and digital) so know the temperature reading is right (next to the thermostat) - the lowest setting should mean that it stops heating when it reaches 10 degrees so we definitely seem to have a problem. I temporary unscrewed the thermostat and moved it nearer to the outlet vents and it hasn't made any differrence as it gets really warm in the van before it makes any attempt to stop heating.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the solution please. We have a habitation service booked for later this month at RDH Services at Calow near Chesterfield but I'd rather have an idea of what the exact fault is beforehand in case it's something we can easily sort out ourselves, or get done by a Webasto agent locally, rather than wait until we take it to the RDH Services chaps. :-S

Mel

Is it a webasto or an erberspacher ? ours is an erber and i know a little about it. the sensor in the habitation area is only a two wire sensor so no reference voltage or circuitry to let you know if the sensor has developed a fault. In this heater if the habitation sensor is not connected (or open circuit) the heater uses its own sensor in the heater ducting to stabilize and monitor the temperature of the heater, this means that it is not using the cabin air as the reference rather the ducting air temperature. So to fault find i would follow the sensor wiring checking it has not been trapped or cut then if you can get to where the sensor plugs into the heater PCB remove the plug (check for corrosion) then test the resistance across the sensor and see if you get a reading on the k,ohm scale if you do, check that when the sensor is warmed up and cooled (hair dryer as a heat source) that the resistance varies. if there is no reading the sensor is open circuit or the wiring is damaged. And that is the cause of you getting all warmed up

Dave.

Its an Eberspacher as Derek correctly remembered! :$

I had the dinette seat base off and had a shuftie at where the wiring went - it goes into a black connector which then goes to the temperature control dial. At one point the wiring was squished/twisted (from when they put the base on originally I assume) but as the heater turns off, albeit at a much higher temperature than it should, hubby doesn't think this is part of the problem. :-S

I'll get the meter out tomorrow and check the readings etc as suggested.

hi Mel

A friend of ours has the Eberspacher Heater & he would not let a Motorhome Dealer near it.

He swears by using commercial garage who are much more familiar with the Eberspacher, as many Commercial vehicles have them fitted.

Sorry I can't advise who he uses, as he is in Spain at the moment (lucky s**)

flicka

RDH Services were formed from the original service guys from RDH and are fully registered/certified by Chausson - they don't sell them, just service and repair them (under warranty). I'm got details of a couple of vehicle engineers in our area off the Eber website so if needs be I can get in touch with them.

Mel

our eber works fine and never had any probs. I would suspect that its the sensor or could even be the stat itself as from what you say you appear to have no temp control other than full or near off.

Mel B - 2012-03-01 8:48 PMIts an Eberspacher as Derek correctly remembered! :$ I had the dinette seat base off and had a shuftie at where the wiring went - it goes into a black connector which then goes to the temperature control dial. At one point the wiring was squished/twisted (from when they put the base on originally I assume) but as the heater turns off, albeit at a much higher temperature than it should, hubby doesn't think this is part of the problem. :-S I'll get the meter out tomorrow and check the readings etc as suggested.

Squashed wiring could easily increase the sensor circuit's resistance and therefore 'trick' the heater. I'd deffo cut out the squashed bit and reconnect with the two pairs of wires with good quality connectors as a starter for ten.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this ... couldn't get at the connection block on the remote sensor lead as it's buried in with a load of other cables but have spoken with the chap at RDH Services and he is going to have a look at it and agrees it is either the sensor itself or the squished wire so they'll sort it for us under warranty. I did try contacting a local agent (not a motorhome dealer) but as the unit has been 'adapted' by Chausson for the motorhome Eberspacher won't fix it under warranty - the local agent actually rang Eberspacher to check for us.

Archived