Overnight at Calais

dobscott

We are planning to take two motorhomes on our first foreign trip to the Vendee in August. As we live in the north of England our first part of the trip will be to travel to the Channel tunnel and take an evening crossing. As children will be with us we would like to overnight as near as possible to Calais. I would very much appreciate any advice that any experienced traveller can give to help us to have a safe and comfortable overnight rest before we continue our journey south. Thank you. Geoff

Hi Geoff If you come out of tunnel terminus onto the e40/a16 and head towards BOULOGNE then come off at junction 31 and follow signs to Centre Commercial you will come to a big AUCHAN Supermarket where you can safely stay the night, we always stay there when getting of ferry, they have security with dogs around all night. Also at the petrol station there is an Aire de Service where you can get water and empty your loo. Hope this is is of use to you and safe journey. Regards Chalky.

Hi Geoff, There is good place at Arques near St Omer approx. 30 miles from Calais. Take road 43 and leave at Arques and follow signs for Municipal Camping. You can stay on site for 9.35€ p.n or on hardstanding outside site for 2€ p.n. There is also a service box outside camping entrance. Nice place alongside lake. Name of site is Camping Beausejour, Arques. Roy.

Hi, Geoff The Junction 31 Auchan store appears a good choice, by the way when you come off at junction 31 go the oposite way to Bolulogne the Auchan store is NOT on the retail site you can see as you come off the motorway you need to head towards St Omer another good site is at Le Touquet next to the equestrian centre ? (head towards the airport) this is a big Aire with electric hook ups for about 70% of the vans and it only costs 5/6 euros its about 40 miles from Calais, people were still coming onto the area at 9:30 pm so you shouldn't have any problems Have a great holiday

hi geoff i always use the tunnel and kip in their waiting area. as you come out of the tunnel complex you will see an Elf filling station on your left. enter the filling station and fill up if you really need to ( it's cheaper at the supermarkets ). go to the right of the building past the MH service point ( probably still broken ). just before you get to the road go left and park up with the lorries & MH's. i found the official calais aire de stationment too noisy and the nearby seafront the haunt of local hooligans. this was about 5 weeks ago. i travel at night and when i wake up i'm usually the only one there. mike

Hello All, We are this side of the water, of course, so we are normally in Calais waiting to go over to your murky, distant wetlands called the UK but we have always stopped by the ticket office at Calais ferry port. It's within a metal security fence, there are usually several other vans there and we have always felt safe overnighting, plus it's free and there are showers (bit chilly but OK) in the arrivals/departure building. My husband would never wild-camp but we both feel safe there.

I'm a bit dubious about the advice to park at the Calais ferry parking area. We did this for years until falling foul of a gang of 'immigrants'. With the closing of the Sangatte holding facility they might not now be around - on the other hand they might. Has anyone a reliable update on the situation?

Archived