Bike Security

kelly58

Guest JudgeMental
I've got one, its OK but not very loud really...........I have an alarm fitted to my bike which is much louder but Icant find a link. You still need decent locks though :-D

Guest JudgeMental

you can put the clasp in lock 2 ways...1 alarm is activated. 2 it is not

I would not rely on it as its not a proper security lock..we use it for secondary locking

Judge you could always wrap a few bungee cords around it, then with a bit of luck they might lose an eye trying to 'nick it'. *-) Ray

I'm going to go out and have a 'good look' at what might spoil their day, in trying to nick mine.thanks for the 'Heads up'.

...I'm always a bit wary of making things so secure that additional damage is caused by trying to remove them, but, I have seen one solution in use, and used another one myself many years ago.

A suitable long (and wide) shackle padlock can be used, replacing one or both of the bottom mounting bolts means that it cannot be unbolted. (beware of the quality of the shackle, however).

Alternatively, buy the "Paulchen" accessory (140200) from the top left of this page:

http://www.merkau.de/paulchen-zubehoer.html

I had a Paulchen rack for my first (VW) van many years ago, and fitted two of these. The knurled "wheel" replaces the normal nut on the mounting point bolt, and then allows a padlock to be passed through it. The padlock simply acts as an "interference" device, sticking out far enough sideways such that it would hit the 'van wall if an attempt is made to unscrew it (i.e. you cannot turn the knurled wheel to undo it, because there isn't enough clearance).

Brute force or power tools will defeat these, but it provides some deterrent at least.

Archived