Fixed bed replacement mattress

thomsonjr

We are new to Hobby ownership having just bought a pre-loved Hobby 600, 2001 model.

One problem you may be able to help us with is where to find a replacement mattress for the Hobby 600. The existing mattress is quite stained and feels damp. We have the exact sizes having contacted Hobby in Germany.

We have searched various sites on the internet but are not sure how good or bad they are. Would appreciate any advice on where we could source a replacement mattress.

Many thanks for any help you gan give.

Gleber

Guest Tracker
No experience of Hobby but have you considered a memory foam mattress as they are very good to sleep on and can easily be cut to shape without damage if needed?

Made to measure and properly finished. We used this firm twice with brilliant results.

C.

Unit 3, 555 Sutton Road

Southend-on-Sea

Essex SS2 5FB

Tel/Fax: 01702 – 614421

Mon – Sun 10am until 4pm

By appointment only due to factory environment

Sales Line: 01268 – 778767

Mon – Sun 8am until 8pm

SPECIAL OFFER 40% off List Price

If you have a slatted bed base with gaps between the slats greater than 2” (50mm), please inform us at time of ordering.

UPPER LAYER

Manufactured from Visco-Elastic ‘Memory-Foam’ that has the qualities of being both energy absorbing and temperature sensitive responding to the user’s natural body heat.

MIDDLE LAYER

Manufactured from High-Grade ‘Load Bearing’ contoured foam to optimise ventilation.

LOWER LAYER

Standard Range, manufactured from High-Grade ‘Load Bearing’ foam to optimise pressure distribution with a choice of Hardness in Medium* or Firm to the users preference. Available as Dual FOC, (please see below).

LOWER LAYER

Combination Range, manufactured from High-Grade ‘Load Bearing’ foam to optimise pressure distribution with a choice of Density to the users declared own weight/s. Available as Dual FOC, (please see below).

THICKNESS

Available as 6ins (150mm) with 50mm upper layer, 40mm middle layer and 60mm lower layer, as 7ins (175mm) with 50mm upper layer, 40mm middle layer and 85mm lower layer, or as 8ins (200mm) with 75mm upper layer, 40mm middle layer and 85mm lower layer. A thicker mattress will not provide additional comfort. As a general guide, floor to mattress top should be between 20ins (500mm) and 22ins (560mm).

FOAM TO

British Standard BS 3379: 1991 (AMD 7126) Foam Classification and Recommended Application for Domestic foam mattress cores.

Schedule One, Part 1: The Furniture and Furnishings Fire and Safety Regulations 1988 (Amended 1989, 1993).

GUIDE TO

Adult (Individual Weights) Levels of Comfort and Support:

Standard Range in Hardness as – *Medium = up to 5’ 6” and 11 stones, 5’ 9” and 12 stones, 6’ 0” and 13 stones.

Combination Range in Density as – Up to 12 stones, 12 to 15 stones, 15 to 18 stones, Over 18 stones.

PATIENT CARE

Paediatric = Up to 8 stones, Standard = 8 to 22 stones, Bariatric = 22 to 30 stones.

If in doubt, please ring Martin Ashmore on mobile 07791-605722 Mon – Sun 8am until 8pm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Gleber

A mattress can be a very personal thing regarding comfort, so it may be better to see if you can visit a manufacturer & find one to suit.

One thing to think about if thinking of a Memory Foam Mattress and not familiar with them, is that they can be quite warm (they rely on body heat to operate.)

We use Memory Foam Toppers, but with Coolmax covers, (Memory Foam Warehouse) which do help

A few more options, depending on if you want a traditional mattress or memory foam:-

http://www.memoryfoamwarehouse.co.uk/pages/Made-to-Measure-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Service.html

http://www.jonic-uk.co.uk/shop/151/index.htm

http://www.caravanmemoryfoam.co.uk/

http://www.careavan.org/mattresses.html

http://www.sleepdetox.co.uk/

http://madetomeasuremattresses.com.au/mattresses/motorhome/

Have you considered trying to clean the mattress and then fit a protective cover?

The below thread was started about condensation problems with a mattress, but there are some postings about cleaning too which might be useful - see Dereks Uzzell's posting dated 12 January 2012 6:49 PM for a link.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25446&posts=18

Thanks to all who gave advice on this. I have now found a Hobby dealer in Kendal Cumbria who can order me a new Hobby mattress. I did consider all the ideas for cleaning but really would only feel happy with a new mattress.

Gleber

thomsonjr - 2012-03-05 10:07 AM

Thanks to all who gave advice on this. I have now found a Hobby dealer in Kendal Cumbria who can order me a new Hobby mattress. I did consider all the ideas for cleaning but really would only feel happy with a new mattress.

Gleber

I sincerely hope you've checked the price of a Hobby-supplied mattress (and obtained a cast-iron guarantee regarding delivery date).

I don't rate Hobby mattresses much - certainly the 'interior sprung' ones in my own motorhome are nothing special (though they are light).

I would have thought you'd be much better to obtain a replacement mattress from a UK manufacturer where you'd be able to choose the specification and, if there were any problems (like the size of the replacement happened to be wrong), you'd be able to take this up directly with the manufacturer.

Your choice, but the Hobby factory hasn't had the greatest reputation in the past when it comes to providing spares to UK owners, nor (dare I say it?) the greatest reputation for helpfulness when UK owners have had problems.

• 4 months later...
I think my boyfriend has finally tired of hearing me complain about his mattress. My back aches when I wake up (it actually crackles when I roll out of bed in the mornings), and even though he''s been religious about rotating, his side of the bed is so sloped and scrunched, it looks like an accordion on the side when you take the sheets off (he''s 6''3" and 230 lbs, so a big guy). It''s some sort of Serta that he got "on sale" for about $1000 4-5 years ago. Does anyone have recommendations for a good quality mattress that won''t poop out after a few years from his weight? As close to $2000 as possible would be good, but up to $3000 if necessary (for a king/cal king...always forget what the difference is). Thanks!

valentinetti0 - 2012-07-10 12:01 PM

I think my boyfriend has finally tired of hearing me complain about his mattress. My back aches when I wake up (it actually crackles when I roll out of bed in the mornings), and even though he''s been religious about rotating, his side of the bed is so sloped and scrunched, it looks like an accordion on the side when you take the sheets off (he''s 6''3" and 230 lbs, so a big guy). It''s some sort of Serta that he got "on sale" for about $1000 4-5 years ago. Does anyone have recommendations for a good quality mattress that won''t poop out after a few years from his weight? As close to $2000 as possible would be good, but up to $3000 if necessary (for a king/cal king...always forget what the difference is). Thanks!

Forgive me, but wouldn't you be better seeking advice about this through a USA forum? Mattresses are generally bulky heavy things and any recommendations regarding a particular UK-available mattress are unlikely to apply to you as shipping the things to the States would be prohibitively expensive.

I notice that a GOOGLE-search on "USA mattress reviews" retrieves plenty of hits that (I would think) would give you a fair idea what products should meet your requirements.

Robinhood - 2012-07-11 10:27 AM

......I may be an old cynic, Derek, but (given the content in the signature in the OP) I don't think the post was looking for a reply. (or deserved one ;-) )

Ah, I see what you mean - though it beats me why a bedding company in Houston should waste their time frigging about on a small UK leisure-related website.

I normally have the viewing-signatures option turned off and, if I could, I'd invisible-ise avatars too. Both are distractions I can easily do without (particularly moving-picture avatars). I'm not against people adding a signature or an avatar and I can appreciate that they may be considered clever/hilarious/profound, etc. but I'm just not interested and I don't really want to see them.

I suspect this aversion may go back to when I was a mainframe programmer and keeping usage of computer memory and data storage to the minimum was more important than Godliness. Either that or I'm mentally considering signatures/avatars as a sort of 'postings foreplay' and, at my age, time (and opportunity) is in increasingly short supply.

Derek

You made the following comment about Hobby -

Your choice, but the Hobby factory hasn't had the greatest reputation in the past when it comes to providing spares to UK owners, nor (dare I say it?) the greatest reputation for helpfulness when UK owners have had problems

I appreciate you will be speaking from experience but I would add that I found Hobby very helpful when I had a problem with the paint finish on our Hobby Van. So far I have not required any Hobby spares though.

Peter

Peter

I've never dealt directly with the Hobby factory myself, but reports by UK Hobby owners over the years (often complaing about paintwork problems) regarding the factory's lack of after-sales interest (at least relating to UK buyers) have not been confidence-inspiring.

I note from your earlier postings that your 2007 Van's paintwork problem was being dealt with under warranty where there would be a contractual obligation to rectify the fault.

'Gleber' (this thread's original poster) was seeking to replace the mattress of a 2001 Hobby and was proposing to order a new mattress via a UK Hobby dealership. This mattress (presumably) would have been supplied to the UK dealer by the Hobby factory in Germany.

Now, whether my view of Hobby's customer-care reputation is accurate or not, my advice - for Gleber to establish the price of the mattress and make certain of the delivery date - is just commonsense. Add in the fact that an 11-years-old motorhome is involved and that even a small variation in size between the original mattress and the replacement could impact disastrously on how well the new mattress fits (or doesn't fit!) and it seems to me that my other caveat

"...you'd be much better to obtain a replacement mattress from a UK manufacturer where you'd be able to choose the specification and, if there were any problems (like the size of the replacement happened to be wrong), you'd be able to take this up directly with the manufacturer..."

is also commonsense.

It may be that a replacement mattress was ordered through the UK Hobby dealership, the Hobby factory supplied it rapidly, the mattress fitted perfectly, the price was fair and Gleber is now delighted. Unless Gleber provides an update (most recent Gleber forum-logon was 14 June), there's no way to know.

I just know that (for several reasons, not just that I'd be wary of the Hobby factory's competence in meeting the order) I would not have chosen to obtain a new mattress via the route Gleber was proposing to take.

• 1 month later...
thomsonjr - 2012-08-17 6:09 PM

The replacement mattress was ordered through the UK Hobby dealership, the Hobby factory supplied it rapidly, the mattress fitted perfectly, the price was fair and Gleber is now delighted.

Gleber

I'm glad that things went well.

Just out of curiosity, could you say, please, what size of mattress you bought from Hobby, what type (foam or interior spring) it was, and what was the overall cost?

Archived