Tyre pressures please

david lloyd

Hi everyone I have read before that it is better to check the proper tyre pressures for the van based on the actual weight of the vehicle when loaded rather than trust the pressures as they are when they come out of the factory. Unfortunately, I can't recall where I read this and don't have a number for Michelin. I have had the van weighed and it will be on 3500kg when fully loaded. Front axle is 1620kg and rear is 1880kg (within the plated limits). The van is fitted with Michelin XC Camping tyres - 225/65 R16. Does anyone have details on the appropriate tyre pressures or, alternatively, a number on which to call Michelin to ask their advice? Many thanks, david

Hi, David I think most of your questions are covered in the topic below "Tyres (ATS Euromaster)" as for Michelins phone number i would have thought you could get that by searching their web site at www.michelin.co.uk, albeit i would email them and wait for a reply as you can then print the reply and carry it with you, just in case the pressures don't co-inside with those given by the MH manuifacturer, as if you were involved in an accident the tyre pressures could be raised as a contributing factor ??

Totally agree. When I'm seeking information from Michelin I always ask my questions via their website. This gives the Michelin technicians 'thinking time' rather than having to provide the off-the-cuff answer demanded by a phone call. Plus (as enodreven says) you can print out Michelin's e-mail reply for future reference. As I've got Michelin's Technical Data handbook I'm sure I could calculate suitable inflation pressures based on the axle weight and tyre information you've provided (which is exactly what Michelin like to have). However, Michelin's advice will carry weight with anyone who might be in an authoritarian position to quibble over such matters and my advice won't!

Thanks enodreven and derek I have asked the question of Michelin via their website yesterday but we are departing tomorrow for France so had hoped to get an answer before by telephoning them as well. My fault - it was not high enough on my list of things to do!! There's still time though so I'll just keep on with the preparations. Many thanks both of you, regards, david

It's me again. Have just spoken to Micheling technical at Stoke (using the info in Cisco's previous posting) and got an immediate, over the phone, answer. The front axle (at 1620kgs) should be 52 psi and the rear (at 1880kgs) at 63 psi. Vedry specific pressures I must say but Bob at Micheling advises that there is a tolerance of +/- 4 - 5 psi for motorhomes on the XC Camping tyres. So I'm off to check mine now and will set them at 55 front and 65 rear. Bob assures me this will soften the ride and improve road holding too. Will be away in France from tomorrow for 3 - 4 weeks so no more posting (unless I find a suitable internet cafe or wireless hotspot) - 'speak' to you all in June. Best regards, david

Archived