Halogen Oven @ Maplin

Dr Dave

• 1 month later...

Can I ask if the halogen oven uses much electricity?

we had a problem using our microwave oven with grill, it kept blowing the electric on a site we use a lot and wondered if the halogen oven might be the answer? :-D

issie - 2012-04-05 3:38 PM

we had a problem using our microwave oven with grill, it kept blowing the electric on a site we use a lot and wondered if the halogen oven might be the answer? :-D

It will depend on what the power supply rating is on the campsite, which halogen oven you get and its power draw - a 1000w one will use about 4.2 amps, a 1300w one will use about 5.5 amps if my 'calculations' are correct! So, if you have a power supply of 6 amps, you should be okay with either (so long as you don't try to run anything else at the same time).

issie - 2012-04-05 3:38 PM

Microwaves draw a high current on start up the cheaper smaller ones likely to be used in a Motorhome it is about double the running current, larger more powerful ones with inverter technology only take about a third more power on start up.

You won't get that problem with a Halogen oven, the Maplin one is 1300 W about 5½ amps so shouldn't be a problem on most hook-ups, just be careful in Italy where hook-ups are often only 3 amp.

Do be careful when on 220v hook-ups abroad, often in France the voltage can be down to around 200v then you would be drawing 6½ amps on full power.

Archived