PC Rathband

nightrider

Guest Tracker

I well remember being gobsmacked by some do gooders saying that Moat was a victim of the failure of society at the time - I wonder if they still feel that way and whether the same can now be said of David Rathband?

I'm not blaming anyone and unless you have been there nobody can fully understand how he must have felt having lost everything he once held dear simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I can understand how despair and the inability to consider that there is any worthwhile future can make someone take their own life.

The only consolation, if consolation is the right word, is that at least he suffers no more.

Let us just for a minute step into PC Rathbands shoes.

There he is, as far as anyone knows, sat in his patrol car minding his own business. Possibly thinking about what's for tea, planning his holiday, buying his Wife a treat.

In other words, a completely normal day for him until Moat did what he did.

It is impossible for me and any other decent and fair minded person to imagine just how that mans life changed in seconds.

Rest In Peace.

Martyn

I full agree with all the comments regarding the sad state of affairs that created the situation for him. However, to take your own life is in my opinon not the answer. Yes, he had problems and undoubtedly felt that his whole world had gone, but others have lost their sight and managed to make lives for themselves. He lost his wife and admitted he basically drove her out because he could not cope with his injuries. He had not lost his job as the Police were trying to get him back to work, even although obviously he would not be on the beat.

No, I would not like to lose my sight expecially under these circumstances but it does not mean the end of living if you adapt. Therefore on that ground I am saddened he did this because like other suiciders, it is the ones left behind who have to pick up the pieces. His wife for one will no doubt wonder if she should have stayed etc

One thing that does make me despair of our society is the messages of support being made for Moat and rather disgusting comments made about PC Rathban on the internet. At least prior to the internet these sorts of slime stayed hidden under rocks, now they have a free and easy platform to spread filth. It is one reason why I will never go anywhwere near Facebook or Twitter

Regarding suicide, it all depends on your breaking point, what bothers one does not bother another, the real villains of the piece in this instance are the slime bags who introduced Moat into the world of drugs which turned him into the monster he ended up as, all so sad.

knight of the road - 2012-03-04 4:31 PM

Regarding suicide, it all depends on your breaking point, what bothers one does not bother another, the real villains of the piece in this instance are the slime bags who introduced Moat into the world of drugs which turned him into the monster he ended up as, all so sad.

....... plus those who helped him commit the crimes.

:-(

Agreed, but you can look at it another way. By taking his own life PC Rathband has in some way allowed Moat to win as they are both dead. I also believe that given time PC Rathband would have made a good enough life for himself and maybe even made another romantic relationship. Yes, he was blind but bluntly everything else still worked. So, again I feel he took the easy way out.

On an aside without necessarily referring to this particular case, have you noticed that the majority of suicides are commited by people on their own. You do not see too many getting on a chair with a noose around their necks while the wife and kids are watching. Is that a result of depression or bluntly cowardice.

LordThornber - 2012-03-04 4:52 PM

I don't blame others, I blame Moat.

He was responsible for his own actions, he had a choice whether to engage in the substance misuse scene. It's unlikely a gun was held to his head forcing him to buy and use.

No users = no dealers.

Martyn

I prefer it the other way Martyn, no dealers = no users. A drug dealer should be charged with manslaughter for setting someone on the slow path to despair and death.

Dave225 - 2012-03-04 4:51 PM

Agreed, but you can look at it another way. By taking his own life PC Rathband has in some way allowed Moat to win as they are both dead. I also believe that given time PC Rathband would have made a good enough life for himself and maybe even made another romantic relationship. Yes, he was blind but bluntly everything else still worked. So, again I feel he took the easy way out.

On an aside without necessarily referring to this particular case, have you noticed that the majority of suicides are commited by people on their own. You do not see too many getting on a chair with a noose around their necks while the wife and kids are watching. Is that a result of depression or bluntly cowardice.

Suicide can never be classed as the cowards way out, never never, suicide is the result when no matter how hard you try there is simply no other alternative to ease your inner turmoil.

No one can know what PC Rathband was going through, walked in his shoes, and how it had affected him, he made his decision to do what he did, whether it was the right or wrong one for him and others is not for us to decide. To do what he did he must have been in a very, very, very depressing and awful 'place'.

It could be that he felt he couldn't go on as he felt so terrible, or that he didn't want to burden others around him ... we shall never know but one thing that is very certain is that it has been a most awful time for him and his family/colleagues since he got shot by Moat and their lives were and could never be the same again.

My condolenses to them all.

To walk into an empty house that at one time was full of happiness and chatter is the worse thing that any man or woman can experience, that is enough to send anyone over the cliff, never judge anyone unless you have walked in that persons shoes, been there seen it and done it.

A very sad day when we learned what had happened.  RIP

Taking ones own life is not IMO a conscious decision in the true sense of making that decision.  I believe one has to be in such a state of mental turmoil that it seems to be the only way out of that 'deeply distressing/depressed' state.

PC Rathbone should IMO never be judged on his actions....it is quite possible he did not 'consciously' even know what he was doing.

Having read some articles on how he has conducted himself since the tragic events that took his sight away and altered his life for ever I have nothing but admiration for him and may he now rest in peace and may his family bear the loss with fond memories.

The day starts just like any other

Sat watching the seagulls swoop down

The radio set crackles out a report

A domestic on the far side of town

You reach for the handset to offer to attend

A shadow falls across the windscreen

The world turns to thunder inside of your head

The rest a blue light flashing dream.

Like ripples of a pebble thrown into the waves

Evil deeds spread in every direction

Wrecking the course of innocent lives

Washing away love's protection

Dragging the wreckage of lives out to sea

Until there's no reason to live anymore

The remains of a family, life and career

Strewn on a strange distant shore.

Groping blinded towards a new life

But just seeing how it was before

Adrift in a dark world, no lighthouse to guide

Until you lose sight of the shore.

Borne on a rip tide of rising despair

Far from your own promised land

Steering a last course to a place without care

Setting it by your own hand.

Who is to judge? Could you bear such pain?

I' m not sure that most of us could

The evil men do lives on after

Much better we dwell on the good.

R.I.P. David Rathband.

We must agree to disagree on that one. I know of friends where one partner has taken their own life and the misery that the remaining partner has to go through for the rest of their life is nothing short of torture. Parents of children who do the same thing never ever get over it, so again i must disagree with anyone who somehow thinks that taking your own life is the answer. It merely allows the person concerned to avoid their reponsibilities. Blindness is not something I would ever wish on anyone but there are many blind people in this world having as good a life as they possibly can, and good luck to them all. Again PC Rathband was blinded, not crippled. I look at some of the soldiers who have come back from war horribly disfigured and they still manage to try to move on

In this particular case there is a brother and parents who now have to live with this so instead of one victim there are now many.

Dave225 - 2012-03-04 4:23 PM

One thing that does make me despair of our society is the messages of support being made for Moat and rather disgusting comments made about PC Rathban on the internet. At least prior to the internet these sorts of slime stayed hidden under rocks, now they have a free and easy platform to spread filth. It is one reason why I will never go anywhwere near Facebook or Twitter

My one wish is if there is a hell I just hope those lowlives that worship the slimebag Moat, lowlives that are lower than the germs that crawl out of the khazi, suffer there for eternity along with the likes of Moat. No excuses from the bleeding hearts about their upbringing, just let the ****s suffer.

There, I feel a bit better now :-)

Dave225 - 2012-03-06 8:35 PM

We must agree to disagree on that one. I know of friends where one partner has taken their own life and the misery that the remaining partner has to go through for the rest of their life is nothing short of torture.

I can see where you are coming from Dave but PC Rathband had nothing left. He didn't even have a wife except in the sense of the word. Yes, some do commit suicide for selfish reasons, debt for example, and leave partners behind to deal with the problems they should have been dealing with but I think he was an exception. No one knows what his relationship was like with his wife before Moat. It's all if's and but's but one thing is certain, his mind was certainly in turmoil to commit suicide because those of a sane mind have nowish to die.

Personally I would find blindness hard to cope with. It must be awful especially having had sight rather than being born blind.

I read some time ago of another sad case where an individual lost his sight. He said the hardest thing was sleeping as he dreamed normally - seeing everyone - having a normal life.

The deppressive effect of waking up every morning to the realisation that he was blind was terrible.

It happened every day when waking up in the morning or even just coming to after a "nap".

I suspect it was a significant problem for PC Rathband.

Of all one's senses, sight, hearing, speech, smell and taste the worst one for me to lose would be my sight, lose one of the others and I could get by, But for me to lose my sight I would be awfully tempted to do what PC Rathband did????

I am a stickler for safety in my workshop and out on the garden round, as soon as I or my grandkid Sammy picks up or goes to start a machine, inbuilt safety mode kicks in, a circular saw has no probs with soft tissue and bone and a strimmer kicks up stones and debris at 60MPH so its a case of goggles and hard hats on

One thing that really fascinates me is when you see deaf and dumb people "signing" to each other, wonderful.

Desperately sorry for his family but no-one who hasn't been that low can possibly understand what drives a person to end their life. It is known to be the ultimate selfish act but who are we to criticise or judge, 'there but for the grace of God go you or I'. As for raoul nobody forced him into drugs we are all responsible for our own actions, don't blame the dealers, they would be redundant if people didn't choose to do drugs. Hope he rots in hell

By all accounts Moat was a nice bonny looking kid, what turned him into the monster he ended up as? Was it when he was introduced into steroids when he went into bodybuilding? yes, it was his choice to start popping the pills, no one forced him did they? For me people who deal drugs are the scum of the earth, I hate them with a zeal.

Where I buy my turf from there is a well known red light district and it is horrifying to see the young and not so young women selling themselves to get the money to finance their drug habits, these women are human wrecks.

Archived