Aire we go again

robertandjean

Yes, we are back in France and on one of our favourite aires, Mortagne-sur-Gironde (Dept 17,No.564 in Le Guide National 2012). For those of you who have not visited this aire then it is a great place to chill out, overlooking marina with hook-up, unlimited wi-fi and good sat. reception, together with a couple of nice bars just across the marina. (Cost same as last year 7.40€/night).

A few other updates:

Found, what we think is, a great new aire at St-Romain-de-Colbosc (Dept 76, No.2599, about 15km east of Le Harve). This is purpose built with indivdual pitches, hook-up to each one and normal services. Setting is overlooking open country, but is next to a local road which is busy during day but no traffic after 11.00 pm. Town is around 700m walk, but is flat walk; town itself with nice square and free wi-fi at Le Taverne bar. There is no charge for staying or any service including hook-ups.

At Honfleur (385) electric hook-ups are working, against what some posters on other forums were saying. (We know this aire has a bad press but not sure why. We parked overlooking basin, it is an easy walk into Honfleur, which is always a delight to visit. Aire is much better than it used to be when ground was very rough, no lighting (now lit all night) and travellers often on part of aire (no sign now or last time we were there) ; 10€/night.

Price remains 3€/night including hook-up and services at La Suze-sur-Sarthe(Dept 72, No.2469); fees have been at this level for around 10 years! Another good aire worth a visit. Charges are now in force at Gravelines(Dept 59,2096), 3€/night winter, 6€/night rest year, except that when we were there last Tuesday French vanners said that although ticket machine is in place as there are no signs yet errected you should not pay!!!

What else? Aires are already busy, mainly French vans with a few Brits. Over 50 vans at Honfleur, 12 at La Suze etc. Fuel costs still around 20p/litre cheaper than U.K., helped by improved exchange rate. Paid 1.42€/litre at Super U opp. Gravelines aire; best so far 1.375€ at Intermarche south of Saintes. And to finish, sorry but have already come across Brits behaving badly. At Honfleur father and sons kicking football in middle of vans, whilst at La Suze Brit using so much electric power managed to take out everyones supply. French vanners not pleased and we were told not to do same!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
I appreciate you are relatively new at this and may I add lovely people. But dont you ever get bored with France and feel like pushing on a bit .....

Guest Tracker

It's great that you are enjoying France again and I for one appreciate all the info that you send us.

France is a great country for wandering and stopping almost where you please, within reason and common sense, and it is always very sad to hear of people - especially greedy and inconsiderate Brits - who abuse French hospitality and risk losing the facilities for all of us.

There is so much to see and enjoy in France - if you can afford it as it is hardly an inexpensive country - that I can easily see how it could be the only destination that one would ever need!

Unfortunately a lack of respect and consideration and the 'sod you Jack I'm all right' attitude seems to pervade this country where so many seem to know their rights but not their responsibilities.

The great thing about France is the relatively quiet roads, so driving / touring can still be a pleasure.

Same thing can be said about Sweden and Norway of course, but it's a bit more expensive to get there ( and it's not so sunny !)

;-)

Robert and Jean, perhaps Honfleur Aire has improved somewhat or, with the greatest of respect, your standards are somewhat different to ours. Something I doubt.

On our last visit the hook up leads and electric supply point looked like a death trap. We weren't hooking up I'm happy to say.

The toilet emptying point was little short of stomach wrenching, it really was that bad. It was well beyond a clean up.

These were the conditions we found on the day we arrived - nothing more or less.

Needless to say we have never returned, indeed next visit we paid through the nose somewhat on the local site but at least felt like our needs were being met.

Each to their own as ever.

And before anyone chimes in, I'm not knocking Aires - merely (I repeat), illustrating what we found on that day.

Thanks for the aire updates as ever, we'll get round to using more of them when time is less of an issue.

Martyn

JudgeMental - 2012-03-04 11:39 AM

I appreciate you are relatively new at this and may I add lovely people. But dont you ever get bored with France and feel like pushing on a bit .....

Thanks for the lovely people bit! We are not that new at this motorhoming game, having been doing it for about 30 (yes thirty) years. In that time we have toured most of Europe from North Cape, through Finland, Slovikia, Slovinia, Italy, Austria, Spain, Portugal etc etc. as well as most of U.K. And the answer is no we do not get bored with France as in many ways it is almost the whole world in one country,but more than that is the most motorhome freindly country we know. So we will be returning four more times this year, so sorry more reports to come! For travel further afield we prefer cruising the southern hemisphere in the winter months.

robertandjean - 2012-03-04 1:04 PMSo we will be returning four more times this year, so sorry more reports to come! For travel further afield we prefer cruising the southern hemisphere in the winter months.

Glad to hear it! Your reports make for interesting and enjoyable reading :-)

Completely agree about the merits of travelling in France - just what is there to get bored with?

Apart from being so motorhome friendly the country has all manner of landscapes to enjoy from the Atlantic and Mediterranean to the Alps. Superb sleepy villages to explore and all those very nice places (Aires) to stopover at.

Keep up the good work.

JudgeMental - 2012-03-04 11:39 AMI appreciate you are relatively new at this and may I add lovely people. But dont you ever get bored with France and feel like pushing on a bit .....
France is a huge and diverse Country, I don't think one  could ever get bored there.

We started touring France in 2007 and  have been " over there " every year since looking forward to going again this year , one thing we have enjoyed has been the BBC 2 program The Hungry Frenchman with Raymond Blanc although another  " Foody Program " it did show some nice hidden jems we would like to visit . We just like the laid back way of life when touring the mostly traffic free backwaters and finding some nice Aires which we all agree are the Good / the Bad and the Indiffent remembering they are only stopovers " Not " campsites . Perhaps we are lucky being retired that we can just come and go at our liesure , like an old chap once told me when you get older money means very little , but time means a lot , you can't take it with you and yesterday will never come again.

Guest JudgeMental

I just dont like the people, the cost or the food, cost of shopping etc.......My wife likes it less! and refuses to go for any length of time. Lets face it they have never forgiven us or the Americans for liberating them... and please don't lets start an argument, it is a simple fact of life, that peoples everywhere resent being bailed out....

R&J Sorry I was mistaking you with someone else re newcomers...I have just booked a family tour of India's golden triangle and a week on a beach in Kerala to recover (for Christmas and my 60th :D)

Germany Austria and Italy this summer, will touch down in France long enough to pick up speciality jams I like and some Pate :-D

JudgeMental - 2012-03-04 1:53 PM This summer, will touch down in France long enough to pick up speciality jams I like  :-D

On the Hungry Frenchman program there was a Lady renouned for here jam making really made your mouth water worth a look on BBC I-player.

Guest Tracker

We've only been visiting France for a few years but I have never found the French people any more unfriendly, unhelpful, rude or arrogant than any other nation - just a mix of the variations of normal people the same as you get in any other country?

It can be an expensive place though as we really discovered when the van had brake trouble last year but as long as you are sensible, smile, treat the locals with respect and at least try and communicate in their language (and my French is very bad) they are in our experience generally very pleasant and helpful.

No doubt others will have either had very similar or very different experiences - c'est la vie!

Tracker - 2012-03-04 2:15 PMWe've only been visiting France for a few years but I have never found the French people any more unfriendly, unhelpful, rude or arrogant than any other nation - just a mix of the variations of normal people the same as you get in any other country?It can be an expensive place though as we really discovered when the van had brake trouble last year but as long as you are sensible, smile, treat the locals with respect and at least try and communicate in their language (and my French is very bad) they are in our experience generally very pleasant and helpful.No doubt others will have either had very similar or very different experiences - c'est la vie!

I totally agree thats my attitude towards France

Guest 1footinthegrave
We have found the French to be as diverse as any other folk, some totally ignorant sods, like some of the French who park sideways on when everyone else has parked lengthways, so that they could no doubt enjoy the view and roll out their awning ( on an aire ) or like some of the English whom we sometimes approach for a chat when we have gone for weeks without seeing a Brit if they look receptive, only to have a reaction like we may want to infect them with the bubonic plague. I just think folk are folk, good, bad, or indifferent, and on our travels have met them all ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
kelly58 - 2012-03-04 2:11 PM
JudgeMental - 2012-03-04 1:53 PM This summer, will touch down in France long enough to pick up speciality jams I like  :-D

On the Hungry Frenchman program there was a Lady renouned for here jam making really made your mouth water worth a look on BBC I-player.

I'm happy with the supermarket jam and like the rhubarb and Gooseberry Bon Maison brand?...the gooseberry reminds me I guess of my mums jam :-| I also like the plain breton cake (long thin ones)...we all ways buy a few if them as well. I saw a documentary about numbers of French living in London, own schools etc.... Apparently they much prefer the freedoms of living in the UK so no surprises there!lol

We do tour different countries but always find ourselves back in France. I have found the French very friendly. Certainly the ones you meet on Aires are as are the ones in the markets and shops. You occasionally get the odd snotty person but you will everywhere. I often wonder what visitors to this country think of our friendliness. Our retail outlets are not known for their friendliness and I’ve lost count of the number of letters and posts about obnoxious campsite wardens. And what about our attitude to other drivers on the roads. What must the French think when they come here!

I don’t get why people think France is expensive either. As soon as we get there our overnighting bill is pretty much zero so there is a huge saving over the likes of Switzerland and to some extent Italy. The cost of food in our supermarkets has soared and I don’t think there is much in it now and the French quality is just better. Booze is much cheaper and don’t get me started on the quality of French Markets or their cheese over ours! (Their markets can be pricey though but you don’t mind if it’s good)

I’m not sure it’s a good place to breakdown though. I have heard some horrendous stories.

Hi Robert & Jean. Keep em comming I love it .

Some people prefere Aires some campsites as said often before each to their own..Personally If I had my way it would be an Aire everytime Its not to do with money as campsites are just as cheap .

I feel having the disabled children that I do and have in the past been staired at (Their problem not mine ) . I just dont make a bee line for a campite . I love to read your informative view and already you have now cheered me up by saying about Hornfluer . We love a little walk with the kids in their chairs in to the town . its nice to know that they have gotten their act together and in all fairness it really wouldnt matter if they hadn't to us . The reson being is we have nothing like it in England so I should be so fussy . I feel safe as there is always lots of vans coming and going and it just feels relaxed . Love to stare out of the window and watch others (lol) Keep up the good work I appreciate it

Would love to see the pictures if you can be bothered to post .. And I await more of your journey .. Enjoy you make me envious.I can't wait to take delivery of our new van and set off .

On the Aires or on camping municiples we find we dont get so hemmed in . We carry a Honda Eu20 jenny choosen for its quietness and we do not deliberately set out to blast people out and we are very careful showing others respect , we dont have it on late and the kids are usually done by 7 oclock .But its nice to know we have back up as we cannot be without because feeding machines pack up and need recharging.for the children.

AS for France 20 years we have been going yes I would love to take in other places and so far have only managed to hit the Italian Alps /spain and italy . France we feel like we in our second home. Theres alot to be said for the familiarity of knowing you are never far from and Aire if stuck .And the shops I know what I am getting at Super U or Le clerk and all the others .

WE pop to camp sites and are not against them especially in France but it tends to be when we need to use the facilities (disabled showers ) for the children ..

Keep up the good work and post some piccys please , you are right France is so big we feel like we have not seen half of it .

Eddie happy 60th old fart

:D :D :D :D

Talk about the french .some of the English are misrable gits .God please can I not get old & misrable ..We once parked in the town square of St-gene -de monts . . An english van passed saw we were the only camping car went around the car parkonce and decided we were there so it must be ok.

They pulled in parked and I smiled they parked a mile away and totally blanked us . Some peoples heads are so afr up their own arses . :D :D Done us a favour didn't want to talk to them anyway poke it . :D (lol) (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
For heavens sake girl! don't be silly........Probably a french man living in London (see earlier post) driving a UK reg van :D

Please keep on posting your reports as we like to hear of the Aire news, and anything else.

We, along with many others, been around Europe and outside Europe for many more years than we wish to think of, but we always preffer France as there is always somewhere new or different to visit and it is mainly motorhome friendly, something I can't say about the UK. We don't wear 'Rose Coloured' specs either there are many things that are worse than other parts. Roads for instance, unless you are billiard board motorway users, leave something to be desired and despite what some say eating out is very expensive, but that is all part of the difference we look for, if it was the same as UK why bother. Use the supermarkets and they are about the same and it allows you to mix with the other Aire/ Municipal users when you BBQ or eat outside. However in the main most everthing else is on a par or better than most. Not met any particularly bad French person, found most very helpful, however I have met some dreadful Brits abroad so tend to be one of those that avoid our countrymen like the plague.

We like other parts of Europe but France still comes out best for us, I get the feeling from Judge that he expects the French not to like him because he is British so it may be him, naturally without realising, putting up the barriers he speaks of!!

We are over at least four times this year at around five weeks each trip and with a week at home. B-)

Bas

Guest 1footinthegrave

" I have met some dreadful Brits abroad so tend to be one of those that avoid our countrymen like the plague."

On reading your comment I'm reminded of an encounter with some Brits on our last trip on our way back home, (but only one of a few). We had parked up on a brand new Aire situated ( as only the French would do ) outside a rather run down municipal site. Seeing them trying to make contact with the site warden, and not having much luck I walked over and told them of the Aire that wasn't immediately apparent as there was no sign-age despite them driving past us and it. The Aire was free of charge, the bloke sort of begrudgingly thanked us, parked his van as far from us as possible it seemed, and neither him or his missus spoke or even acknowledged our presence, for the rest of the duration, despite a lovely afternoon and evening. Mind you we're in a 2003 reg van, there van was almost new, perhaps we didn't measure up. There was only them and us there in a lovely spot, will I rush to help a fellow Brit in future, Mmmmmmm ! ! !

Well I would have most certainly acknowledged you 1foot and although I may have parked away from you, to try to give you as much privacy as possible, I would certainly have spoken had you have approached us. But then you prabably would have ignored us with your flash new 2003 model, ours is a 1998!! LoL!

Bas

1footinthegrave - 2012-03-04 5:17 PM

" I have met some dreadful Brits abroad so tend to be one of those that avoid our countrymen like the plague."

On reading your comment I'm reminded of an encounter with some Brits on our last trip on our way back home, (but only one of a few). We had parked up on a brand new Aire situated ( as only the French would do ) outside a rather run down municipal site. Seeing them trying to make contact with the site warden, and not having much luck I walked over and told them of the Aire that wasn't immediately apparent as there was no sign-age despite them driving past us and it. The Aire was free of charge, the bloke sort of begrudgingly thanked us, parked his van as far from us as possible it seemed, and neither him or his missus spoke or even acknowledged our presence, for the rest of the duration, despite a lovely afternoon and evening. Mind you we're in a 2003 reg van, there van was almost new, perhaps we didn't measure up. There was only them and us there in a lovely spot, will I rush to help a fellow Brit in future, Mmmmmmm ! ! !

Funny you should say that-have many people noticed that Brits abroad nearly always wave when passing but when you get on an aire/site the almost always blank you? is it us? is it the bike? (Don't want to associate with them leatherboys) or is it because we don't have a brand new multi million van?

I thought until I read these posts it was just us but now I'm not so sure-Strange :-S

Mike

Archived