Aire we go again

robertandjean

Guest 1footinthegrave

My missus always reckons I'm not fussy about who I talk to, perhaps that's it.

I tell her of course I'm not fussy,I married you didn't I :D :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1footinthegrave - 2012-03-04 5:42 PM

My missus always reckons I'm not fussy about who I talk to, perhaps that's it.

I tell her of course I'm not fussy,I married you didn't I :D :D

Oooooh! I bet you dont let her read this!

Ill talk to anyone as well but I have also experienced quite rude behaviour from fellow Brits. Sometimes its like dragging teeth. If you see our Kontiki (easily recognised by the Peugeot Scooter on the back) definately come and say hello and have a beer. Well several beers!

michele - 2012-03-04 3:30 PM

Talk about the french .some of the English are misrable gits .God please can I not get old & misrable ..We once parked in the town square of St-gene -de monts . . An english van passed saw we were the only camping car went around the car parkonce and decided we were there so it must be ok.

They pulled in parked and I smiled they parked a mile away and totally blanked us . Some peoples heads are so afr up their own arses . :D :D Done us a favour didn't want to talk to them anyway poke it . :D (lol) (lol)

Your not being silly Chelle you say it as it is being a northern girl born and bred?? :-D Im like you I would rather have a French van blank us than a Brit >:-( it just makes me angry that they are soo far up themselves I have to be careful and keep my tongue bitten B-) but ignoramuses are everywhere you just do as they do Dont give them a chance to do it again.

I was smilling and looking out of our window when a Brit pulled in a Stenay HE waved so I waved back (that was a mistake) I later realized he was being sarcastic, next day when I was chatting to another brit he had a very red face when he looked and I looked straight through him. >:-)

JudgeMental - 2012-03-04 1:53 PM

I just dont like the people, the cost or the food, cost of shopping etc.......My wife likes it less! and refuses to go for any length of time. Lets face it they have never forgiven us or the Americans for liberating them... and please don't lets start an argument, it is a simple fact of life, that peoples everywhere resent being bailed out...............................

You should go some time Eddie! :-) You would find that food is on balance no more expensive than in UK, restaurants are almost invariably better value, and that the French are, in reality, warm, friendly, helpful, humorous people. My only general exception to that in would be Paris, but the rest of the French have difficulty with Parisians as well!

I think you must have met the wrong people, or somehow offended them. I first went when I was about 14, on a school exchange, have been going back ever since, and over all that time I don't think I have never experienced what you describe, anywhere.

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2012-03-04 4:34 PM

I get the feeling from Judge that he expects the French not to like him because he is British so it may be him, naturally without realising, putting up the barriers he speaks of!!

We are over at least four times this year at around five weeks each trip and with a week at home. B-)

Bas

Dear Basil lol I am a gregarious Irishman who was brought up to always wish people good day and say hello to complete strangers. I learnt this from my dad who was a true gentleman to whom manners were everything.....He would stop and have a conversation with complete strangers all the time..to the embarrassment of my mother! So nothing farther from the truth, I try and see the good in everyone but at times I am severely tested!lol :D

We both love France, the only other country so far we have enjoyed as much is Croatia. We are definitely campsite people and have frequently said that on our travels we have consistently found the French people to be the friendliest. Shopping wise I don't think its much different to UK and of course the fuel and sites are a damn site cheaper as is the wine!!!!!!

Barryd999 - 2012-03-04 5:52 PM

If you see our Kontiki (easily recognised by the Peugeot Scooter on the back) definately come and say hello and have a beer. Well several beers!

Looking forward to meeting you on the road sometime Barry. Will make sure we're well stocked up just in case ;-)

neilmac - 2012-03-04 8:40 PM

Barryd999 - 2012-03-04 5:52 PM

If you see our Kontiki (easily recognised by the Peugeot Scooter on the back) definately come and say hello and have a beer. Well several beers!

Looking forward to meeting you on the road sometime Barry. Will make sure we're well stocked up just in case ;-)

Nice one! Dont expect an early night!

mrs w curry - 2012-03-04 8:46 PM

Hi

can u recommend a good aires guide book and where to source it. We r going to france this year but first time with no kids so thinkin about using aires as opposed to sites

wendy and bob :-o

This is the one you need. https://www.vicarious-shop.com/All-the-Aires-France-3rd-edition-all-the-Frence-Aires.html?page=1

Also www.campingcar-infos.com is the biggest source of Aires and not just for France. You can downlaod them all for your sat nav for free.

Thank you Robertandjean,  your report is helpful ,we use Aire,s where ever and whenever we can, If I find the facilities are not to my liking I dont use them, were normally prepared well enough to be able to spend whatever time we need /want to on any aire without using any facilities just need the parking space for the night. I have found the French people I have had dealings with to be friendly and helpful, I more often than not get a wily smile from the french person I,m trying to converse with due to my limited French vocabulary and accent. a smile is good opening to any conversation, I have been lucky enough to have Policemen use his credit card to get me into the Aire at Honfleur,I gave him cash, had an elderly couple drive in front of us to guide us to our campsite, had a young couple use their credit card for fuel for us again giving them the Cash+ , none of these events were requested by me but offered in good spirit by the French people concerned, Ive no issues with the French,   Safe Journeys.

This aire is in the mountains above Murat-le-Quaire, Puy-de-Dome. It used to be a campsite so each of the large, hedged pitches is hard standing (under the grass) and has an electric point. Glorious views to the mountains and of the sunrises and sunsets. Very quiet road alongside and across it is a lake (for fishing) and a parcour de sante to give walks a bit of interest. Only open from Easter onwards as much too cold in the winter. Went up there the other day and the lake is still frozen over. Will try to attach photos below.

Edit: Wow, managed it! Forgot to say that there are toilets and showers etc. but all were closed of course when I visited it. The service area would be very good.

1213242995_26012012081(FILEminimizer).jpg.3499096af7380dc16871da83ec986fb0.jpg

502321754_26012012082(FILEminimizer).jpg.e00dff5d553052a9af7375eba3f1d80e.jpg

207365628_26012012083(FILEminimizer).jpg.2456e7f06730df1fcfbb23822aa700f8.jpg

Thanks as always you two, loving the info, added it to my R&J file which I have in number order :-D :-D

Cannot believe some peoples attitude and their inability to just move on without comment or just be grateful, in some peoples lives negativity rules ok!!! *-) *-) *-)

Take care and keep em coming

Mandy

Patricia aire at Murat-la-Quaire looks great, will visit when touring area; thanks for that.

Thanks to all who have made such supportive comments, we really do appreciate these. We are staying here at Mortagne a couple more days (sunny but cool here this morning) but will send reports on futher aires, provided can get wi-fi.

Really great the positive attitude shown by all (except Eddie!) towards France and French people. Now come on Eddie, the French are also lovely people.

Not so much negativity as a reality check sometimes I think. Sure, France is diverse and for the most part chilled and motorhome friendly, but it's not the be-all and end-all for all people. 

I think it's that sentiment that some people baulk against when they read the constant gushing praise.

Aire we go again indeed.

I like France, and I have no particular objection to the French. They are generally no more or less deserving of misanthropy than any other nationals.

It rains a lot though, and is not without its 'camping-car interdit' moments. There is also a cultural propensity towards killing and / or eating just about anything that has a face. The whole 'ortolan affair' is a good case in point. It can often be grey, cold and hostile, and if you don't eat flesh, prepare to be stared at blankly if trying to eat out.

It's OK, but perhaps gets a disproportionate amount of partisan praise. It's nice that some people enjoy it there, but it feels a little bit uncritically forced on us sometimes.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Perhaps it gets undue praise because for the most part there are very few of the hassles associated with using a motorhome in the UK. To be able to wander knowing with almost 100% certainty you can find somewhere to stop without recourse to a phone to check in advance, the almost total lack of height barriers, none of that "Parking eye" nonsense, and limits to parking/ cooking/ sleeping that bedevil the UK, the lack of traffic ( mostly), not being stressed when parking that you can fit into a bay for fear of some jobsworth giving you a £60 ticket, the list goes on and on.

As for being vegetarian I'm sure that presents a challenge almost anywhere, but they do draw the line at eating Dogs you know.

NO it's not perfect, but where or what is, but I've always said if the day ever comes that I cannot get over the water, that's the day my van will be on Ebay. So thanks to Robertandjean for the updates.

Well said 1 foot, could not have put it better. We too would finish with motorhoming if it were not for being able to come to France and stay on the aires.

Not sure what to say to you crinklystarfish. First Jean does eat meat but I do not, and whilst it is true this does limit choice in resturants we still manage to eat out with few problems. Second you are right to point out that, like with any countryincluding U.K., there are good points and bad points. What we think is that on balance, and certainly for us 'vanners, France comes out on the positive side of the balance sheet. You clearly see it differently but sat here, in bright sun overlooking marina, and just about to set out on nice walk followed by an aperitife at the local bar know why we think as we do.

Guest JudgeMental

Crinkly/one foot, thanks for restoring some balance.....

My wife is a vegetarian France is very difficult in this respect. Italy has an abundance of vegetarian choices and far more civilised. As are the people, gregarious and outward looking.

UK is on the he whole a depressing camping experience, stuck in a time warp compared to major European countries.....No wonder France appears so impressive, The weather is unreliable though, not much better then here, unless you press on south. Lets face it is should have been the garden of England but we well and truly mucked that one up! :D

robertandjean - 2012-03-05 1:22 PM Well said 1 foot,could not have put it better. We too would finish with motorhoming if it werenot for being able to come to France and stay on the aires. Not sure what tosay to you crinklystarfish. First Jean does eat meat but I do not, and whilstit is true this does limit choice in resturants we still manage to eat out withfew problems. Second you are right to point out that, like with any country includingU.K., there are good points and bad points. What we think is that on balance,and certainly for us 'vanners, France comes out on the positive side of thebalance sheet. You clearly see it differently but sat here, in bright sunoverlooking marina, and just about to set out on nice walk followed by an aperitifeat the local bar know why we think as we do.

I don’t see it that differently; I’m just open to the fact that it has warts too. I am also open to the fact that the grandeur of the world can’t be fully enjoyed from a glorified car park in department 51. 

I do like France and agree it’s generally a relaxing place to gad about in a motorhome. 

I’ve had some enjoyable times there - but also some dire ones, and for some reason the subject of dire times in France is seemingly something of a UK motorhomers’ taboo. 

I do understand its popularity as a motorhomers’ destination but think its constant uncritical promotion is a bit short sighted: it can be hostile and depressing too, and it really does rain a lot.

Can I ask a question about French Aires please?

We've stayed on loads of German Stellplatz. The service points there, if not free, tend to offer water in quantities of say 5 litres for X cents so if you just need a top up (or just fill your drinking water 5 litre carrier) you take what you need rather than 'waste' 100 litres/5minutes of water.

Is it the same on French Aires?

Hope I've explained myself................ :-S

Arthur

Guest JudgeMental

we always have the Whitsun week in France. (except last year as in Germany picking up camper)

2010 we went to the Vendee for some cycling.the bikes never came of the van. weather was atrocious, with empty sites and a really bleak atmosphere...It.rained all the time

2009. same period. Loire valley.. Could not have been different, Glorious weather, and plenty of cycling. A mix of Aires and Municipal sites and a lovely break.

Even in summer the weather not that reliable....I treasure our holidays and not prepared to run the risk. Once we cross over the mountains and drop into Italy the weather has been glorious for last 5 years on the trot....

Arthur, Germans are much more green then the french. :-D

arthur49 - 2012-03-05 6:17 PM

We've stayed on loads of German Stellplatz. The service points there, if not free, tend to offer water in quantities of say 5 litres for X cents so if you just need a top up (or just fill your drinking water 5 litre carrier) you take what you need rather than 'waste' 100 litres/5minutes of water.

Arthur

They are all different. Yes there are a lot where you pay for 100 litres of water or 5 min worth but equally there are plenty that are just a tap where you get what you want. Sometimes services and EHU are free!

Barryd999 - 2012-03-05 8:18 PM

arthur49 - 2012-03-05 6:17 PM

Arthur

They are all different. Yes there are a lot where you pay for 100 litres of water or 5 min worth but equally there are plenty that are just a tap where you get what you want. Sometimes services and EHU are free!

Many thanks :-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
There's a clue to the weather any region enjoys, France with it's almost endless arable farming, hence a drop of the wet stuff, or Andulicia for example, cactus and not much else unless it's artificially irrigated with millions of miles of plastic tubing. Weather in France was doing strange things last year, very hot, dry and sunny most of May and June and up in the 30's at times, pants during July and August ( well at least Bordeaux area ). Let's face it, anywhere is pretty pants if it's peeing down. :-(

Raining or not I know where I would rather be .

I am told that there are some pretty places in England to visit . I am not in the slightest interested .

Where ever you go in England it isnt M/H friendly as we all know.

Just finished watching an old programme that we recorded long ago ,Chasing Ledgends, Re the tour de france HTC and all that jazz. On watching the campers parked on the road side /hill tops /mountains in a ditch , it made me laugh :D Can you imagine the Tour De France in England .

Right move on you orrible lot (lol) Theywould have parking wardens out in force .

Well they aint getting my money .

Archived