LCD tv

Geoff Bell

I bought one at the start of March from www.incardvd.uk.com (Freephone 0800 800 090). 15 ins LCD with DVD built in. Splendid. Very pleased with this purchase. At the time there was a special offer via my subscription to the MMM magazine. Cost was £279.99. Excelletn value comared with others. Closing date for their offer was April 30 but still worth giving them a ring. They also offer a 17ins lcd with DVD at £349.99.

Rees, thanks for that, just checked it out on the website. 15 inch is now £329 and 17 inch £389 all in stock, next day delivery. What was the MMM deal as I've just sent off my subscription, I might try and ressurrect it, or blag my way.

The price was as in my original message and the cut-off date was the end of April. However, try phoning them and see what they can offer as a subscriber to MMM. The company is a large one based in Swansea. You will get through by phone to their call centre. I found them excellent to deal with; and delivery was rapid and well done. I think that there was also a postage charge on the MMM offer of about £4. Good luck.

Mackro's are currently doing two 15" LCD TV's that fit your bill (they have more but may not fit your bill) one with DVD the other without but otherwise a brilliant TV (I'm biased as I just bought one ideal for the m/home IMHO). The 15" one I have is identical in size to most computer monitors i.e. doesn't have the excessive plastic border round it or speakers out the side, so is nice and tidy and physically small, the controls and speaker reside beneath the screen so staying in the small size format.the make is Akura which I understand to be a division of Casio, cost is £149.95 +vat. The second which has a built in DVD player is a Bush 15" with DVD and costs £199.99 +vat. Both have Nicam stereo sound which IMHO is of good quality, both had what I considered to be the best pictures other than a Sony and a Phillips that were twice the price. I'm happy with mine anyhow.

Basil, thanks for all that info, but do they run on 12v / 240v or are you using an inverter? I can find plenty just 230v but not 12v built in. I have a Makro card so would appreciate a reply before I zoom down to Southampton my nearest store.

I really want something a little smaller. 12 or 13 inch would be fine as its replacing an old Grundig with a 9.5 inch screen. I want to fit it into a cupboard door front so want a flange around the front to mount it back to. But I also want it to include an international freeview decoder plus all formats of Analogue reception. I have already found a 5 inch LCD TV which does all this for £120 but its not big enough. £150 is about the right price for me. £400 is taking the ....! DVD player would be a nice extra but not mandatory. Any ideas??

Hi Geoff, I am running mine direct of the 12v of the van, the LCD has a plug in transformer type device like a laptop computer type thing so the actual TV connection is 12vDC. I know that people say that you should use a voltage stabiliser like the one from Amperor, but nevertheless I haven't and so far it appears ok (run for 12 hours continuously with the Zig charger on mains charging the battery) and also for about 5 hours without the charger. There appeared to be no problem so for that price I am preparedto take the risk! Clive One of the benefits of having the small physical size screen is that the 15" screen fits easily into one of my cupboards and using a long lightweight wallmount bracket I can swing it out into the centre of the van and then tuck it back into the cupboard when we have finished watching, if I could only find a resonably priced roof fitted Sattelite dish to make that system easily set up I would be completely happy, just the analogue reception and one add on 'Porty' Sat bx is quite ok for me!

I have got as far as putting the CD into the laptop bag. I have also just fitted a marine TV antenna with variable pre-amplifier to the van. One day I will connect all the bits together. The Freeview thing did work originally before No1 son up-dated the OS to WIN XP. See you at Lincoln C.

I got a 17" LCD Relysis TV from Asda in September last year for £229. They had 15" models, which I think were £199 at the time. The 17" model has excellent picture and sound quality as well as all the necessary TF and AV inputs, plus it is true wide screen (16:9), and you can hook up your PC/Laptop. I bought a folding wall bracket and fitted it to the side wall of the RV so it folds flat against the wall when not in use/travelling. It works of either 12v DC or the mains adapter that comes with it. The only drawback I have found is it draws around 5amps on 12v - so make sure you have good leisure batts or keep your viewing to a minimum. Before retiring I used to be in the IT business and Relysis made excellent computer monitors, so no problem with the pedigree. As far as DVD's go check out www.maplin.co.uk who are currently offering a deal on a 12v DVD/MP3 player for sub £35+VAT.

Archived