After market cruise control, and experiences please

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
Been thinking for a while now of getting an after market cruise control,or hand throttle if such a thing exists, mainly because of foot and ankle pain that seems to go with the territory of being past the first flush of youth, any experiences of these systems or recommendations out there would be appreciated. ;-)

Hi footie :-D

We had a system fitted by Mr Newell to our Rimor and hubby loved it, once it was calibrated it worked a treat and really made a heck of a difference to driving comfort. When we changed to the Chausson, if it hadn't already come with cruise control as standard it would have been the first accessory we'd have put on.

You can set the speed you want very easily and then tap it to increase it or reduce it as required, however it does NOT replace the use of the accelerator pedal totally, if that is more your aim, then you need to look at a 'secondary accelorator' conversion instead.

By the way, if you are a member of a certain 'fun' forum, there is a very good member discount on there for Van Bitz which gives 15% off everything!!! :-D

I fitted one myself to my car, I used the the Gold version from Conrad Anderson. Works well only criticism is it's not as good as an OEM one below 35 mph set at 30 mph speed tends to varies between 28 - 32 mph above 35 mph it's perfect.

If I fitted another one I would use the simpler cheaper stalk control version the Gold one is a bit awkward to use and you don't really need the pre programmable buttons.

1footinthegrave - 2012-03-04 5:32 PM

Been thinking for a while now of getting an after market cruise control,or hand throttle if such a thing exists, mainly because of foot and ankle pain that seems to go with the territory of being past the first flush of youth, any experiences of these systems or recommendations out there would be appreciated. ;-)

I got one supplied & fitted by Dave Newall about 5 years ago and wouldn't be without it now. It's so much easier on French roads/Motorways where there is little traffic to set and let run but more importantly it's invaluable in roadworks etc so you don't inadvertantly drift upwards.

It also keeps your speed regular so fuel economy is helped too.

if you only stay in UK, with all our traffic and roadworks etc it is not as valuable as it's not always possible to use it for long periods

Mike

Probably our number one 'extra', would not want a motorhome without one now. Our company is now no longer in existance but the control is still available, DIY or fitted, from Howard May see

http://www.howard-may.co.uk/4555.html

I fitted ours myself without any problems and it has worked very well. I had a malfunction the year before last, after 7 years use, and Howard May repaired the brain even though I origionally didn't buy the unit from him and our company had gone to the wall. The repair was turned around in 48 hrs and the charge was very reasonable, under £25. I had called him to ask about buying a new DIY control, as he is one of the few that will supply only, and he said to let him check out mine before to see if it could be repaired and as I say it was returned fully functioning and has performed perfectly since.

It's funny really because I very much like the pre set buttons, contrary to an earlier post, as I programme them for the French speed limits and just push the button for the required speed as it changes, brilliant!

Bas

I'm not sure why people are saying you won't get much use of cruise control in the UK, you don't have to use it JUST on motorways you know! :-D It is very useful for toottling about (traffic/safety permitting of course) in a normal day's motoring as it allows you to concentrate more on your 'driving' rather than the speed you are doing to ensure you are not going over the limit.

Guest pelmetman

Seem's to me cruise control is ideal on empty roads like abroad ;-)...............but here in the UK its a waste of time *-)......................as your forever having to adjust to the road conditions over here in traffic land :D...............................and yes I have cruise in my old Rover ;-)...................although it has packed up :$ .........after 13 years *-)

A minute after your post Mel.;-)............I'm surprised that you think taking your foot off the throttle allows you to concentrate more 8-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

No, stuck in darkest Wales, but many thanks, and................

many thanks for all contributions, decision made, going for it, I owe it to my right leg, told two years ago I had plantar fasciitis and it would be sorted after about six months, what do doctors know, still in bloody agony, so every little may help. :-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-03-04 5:32 PM

It use to be possible to obtain this product

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecontrols/eagleeconomic-throttlelock.htm

but, if you just wanted a hand-throttle, there are some advertised on e-bay or you could knock one up pretty easily.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-03-04 6:53 PM

but, if you just wanted a hand-throttle, there are some advertised on e-bay or you could knock one up pretty easily.

Yep my Old man did this by jamming his walking stick under his door handle on to the throttle 8-).................I didn't find out for a week after he had been following us around France he said it was hard work pressing the throttle *-)................... 8-)

We use ours all the time in the UK both in the car and the motorhome. Simply a matter of getting used to it and adjusting the speed by tapping the control as required. If you want to overtake a slower vehicle you simply put your foot down then lift off when past and it will settle back to the set speed. Don't you believe those who would tell you that you can only use it on empty roads. If that's what they think then they simply haven't got the hang of it.

I will admit that I'm not that keen on using it at night or in very bad weather.

Cruise Control best thing since sliced bread make driving so much relaxing even driving as a casual long distance lorry driver in the UK I use the cruise all the time on all manor of roads because of the lorry speed limits to keep within the law like 50mph on motorway roadworks avaerage speed camera's allows easier concentration in traffic without having to keep looking at the speedo. When in France its just a case of flick on the cruise sit back relax and watch the world go by .Easy Life..

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2012-03-04 7:04 PM

We use ours all the time in the UK both in the car and the motorhome. Simply a matter of getting used to it and adjusting the speed by tapping the control as required. If you want to overtake a slower vehicle you simply put your foot down then lift off when past and it will settle back to the set speed. Don't you believe those who would tell you that you can only use it on empty roads. If that's what they think then they simply haven't got the hang of it.

I will admit that I'm not that keen on using it at night or in very bad weather.

I agree Colin it works just like that ;-)...................but unless you have a medical need for it I am of the opinion that it just gives the driver another excuse not to concentrate on what he's doing............ ;-)

pelmetman - 2012-03-04 7:37 PM

Colin Leake - 2012-03-04 7:04 PM

I agree Colin it works just like that ;-)...................but unless you have a medical need for it I am of the opinion that it just gives the driver another excuse not to concentrate on what he's doing............ ;-)

Sorry Dave but I have to disagree here. Cruise control does take some work off the driver allowing him/her to pay more attention to what's happening on the road ahead. My experience is that users of cruise control are safer drivers because of it. They tend to want to avoid dropping out of cruise and so will look further ahead and adjust speed accordingly to avoid disengaging the cruise. This is only my opinion and not based on any factual information other than talking to users over the last 11 years (that's how long I've been fitting them). I suggest you try it before you condemn it.

CC can help with fuel consumption but whether or not it will does depend on how you drive anyway. If you find it difficult to maintain a fixed cruising speed (not hard with modern vehicles) then CC can help by doing just that. We sell CC more on the driver comfort aspect than fuel consumption simply because it definitely does make the driver's job easier and only might help with fuel consumption.

D.

Guest pelmetman
Dave Newell - 2012-03-04 8:02 PM

Sorry Dave but I have to disagree here. Cruise control does take some work off the driver allowing him/her to pay more attention to what's happening on the road ahead. My experience is that users of cruise control are safer drivers because of it. They tend to want to avoid dropping out of cruise and so will look further ahead and adjust speed accordingly to avoid disengaging the cruise. This is only my opinion and not based on any factual information other than talking to users over the last 11 years (that's how long I've been fitting them). I suggest you try it before you condemn it.

CC can help with fuel consumption but whether or not it will does depend on how you drive anyway. If you find it difficult to maintain a fixed cruising speed (not hard with modern vehicles) then CC can help by doing just that. We sell CC more on the driver comfort aspect than fuel consumption simply because it definitely does make the driver's job easier and only might help with fuel consumption.

D.

Maybe my aversion is based on being followed around France by a poorly controlled/driven 3+ ton camper :$...........................I'll have to use a false name next time I book in for a service Dave :$

I think Cruise control is a boon as a driving aid, I find it a more relaxing drive and as Dave Newell said, it does make you look and think well ahead of you, it came as standard on our last M/H so when we bought this M/H it was one of the first thing I had fitted,I was lucky as our local Merc Dealer fitted the Factory option cheaper than a after market version, I find I,m not as stiff after driving a long distance using Cruise, I,m able to shift my legs about more.  my advice go for it.

pelmetman - 2012-03-04 8:19 PM

Dave Newell - 2012-03-04 8:02 PM

D.

Maybe my aversion is based on being followed around France by a poorly controlled/driven 3+ ton camper :$...........................I'll have to use a false name next time I book in for a service Dave :$

All I'm saying is try before you condemn Dave. No need for false names, we'll recognise Horace's reg No. :D

I would also suggest that the bad driving of the following camper was down to the driver's poor standards and not the fact they used a cruise control. I would even be so bold as to suggest that they would have been equally worriesome without the CC system.

D

Guest pelmetman
Dave Newell - 2012-03-04 8:31 PM

I would also suggest that the bad driving of the following camper was down to the driver's poor standards and not the fact they used a cruise control. I would even be so bold as to suggest that they would have been equally worriesome without the CC system.

D

You've seen my Dad driving then Dave 8-) .....................It's scary............fortunately he's in Spain :D

I use oem cruise control due to joint pain, not all the while but as and when.

Couple of things to note, in my experiance fuel consumption will increase NOT decrease. There have been concerns expressed in media as to there being more acidents caused due to use of cruise control, of cause this will not happen with all us very experianced mh drivers as we always give 100% concentraition to the road ;-)

Also reduses flat spots on the backside from having to sit in one position. Yes, could not have a vehicle without cruise control. (Hand throttles went out about 1956). Also usefull to enable you to keep to low speed limits when traffic is light.

Have fitted several cruise controls myself over the years and modern vehicles use a black box of electronics that connect between the accelerator unit and the wiring to condition the signal. Older vehicles have a motor driven actuator which operates the pedal, either electric or vacuum.

More notes on what I did here :-

http://www.motts.org/Cruise%20Control.htm

Take care

C.

Archived