Personal Information versus Privacy

Dave225

Just getting a tad concerned regarding the amount of information we have to give to Companies for not always an apparent reason. What brought this to a head was my wife has recently claimed for a small work pension she was entitled to. Now the first thing that was a slight concern was that the Pension Fund has handed all administration of its Pensions to a 3rd Party Company. Looking at their web page and it is all glossy pictures and glowing testimonials but all this for a Company that has only been in existence for a few short years, and I just wonder a bit.

Anyway, they asked for proof of my wife’s identity which is fair enough so we sent off her birth certificate, my birth certificate and our marriage licence. We then were asked for more proof naming driving licence, utility bill, passport etc so I assumed they wished to check our address. So we sent her driving licence (copy) which shows her address etc. Evidently not good enough. The Company supposedly has checked the Electoral Role, which we have both been on for 20 years at this address, Land Registry, again we have joint ownership of the house for 20 years, but still not enough for proof that she is a citizen of the UK. Now we have to send a copy of her passport, which does not show our address but has a picture. Just why they need a picture to pay a pension I do not know. It is not as if they will visit her to check it is her photograph.

However, now they have more than enough information to easily clone her identity and although they claim Data Protection Schemes are in place, I trust them not a jot. Anyone can pass her information on to some back street dealer in India or Pakistan and they can do everything.

Now I agree that in days gone by you had to confirm who you were to Companies such as Pensions etc but then they had morals and procedures to ensure that your data was protected. Nowadays anything connected with finance usually has the word ‘crook’ somewhere in there, especially new Companies that are jumping on band wagons all in the name of cost cutting.

Now I also have to confirm my identity every 5 years for my own small pension, it is paid from Dubai and the check is mainly to ensure I am still alive, but that involves my taking my passport along to a local solicitor, who checks it and then writes an official letter confirming it all. I do not send anything to the Pension Company except the letter, so why all the palaver here?

Guest pelmetman
I always quadruple the truth ;-)....................so they all think I have a 12"willey.............................Ooop's :$ :$

Without wishing to sound like a conspiracy theorist or add to the secrecy, this is something I'm interested in.

I can't (well reluctant actually) to give too much away as the matter is of a very sensitive nature and I strongly suspect will eventually be tested by my legal bod. In essence though, information hugely private to me was accessed and worse, distributed to inappropriate persons.

I'll keep you posted if/when I can 8-)

Martyn

Dave,

this is 'off topic', but your spelling of ' Willie'/'Willy', reminds me of two wonderful entries on test match cricket scorecards:- 1.) "The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey". (!) and:- 2.) "Willey, Ct. Lilley, bowled Dilley". (!)

Cheers,

Colin.

:D

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2012-03-04 6:48 PM

Dave,

this is 'off topic', but your spelling of ' Willie'/'Willy', reminds me of two wonderful entries on test match cricket scorecards:- 1.) "The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey". (!) and:- 2.) "Willey, Ct. Lilley, bowled Dilley". (!)

Cheers,

Colin.

:D

Fair enough cock :D.....................that's wat I like about not being edjermercated.............I do enjoy the written word ;-).............. :D

As for cricket I've tried to avoid it since my English teacher played for Essex and did fencing in the Olympic's.........and didn't like me ............or I .........him *-).....................but I didn't set fire to his Vauxhall :D

Guest pelmetman
josie gibblebucket - 2012-03-06 8:12 PM

There are plenty of inappropriate people on here too - sorry Martyn :D

Nowt wrong with...... being inappropriate :D...................better than...... being incontinent ;-)

LordThornber - 2012-03-04 6:43 PM

I strongly suspect will eventually be tested by my legal bod. In essence though, information hugely private to me was accessed and worse, distributed to inappropriate persons.

I'll keep you posted if/when I can 8-)

Martyn

I did send it straight back to you LT and I promise you I never uttered a word about it to any other person. Please don't get a letter sent to me :'(

Archived