wood dashboard

ips

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest machra

My experiences - Hobby Siesta 2007 Transit:

It does not stay on - mine started to come away from the dash after spending a couple of weeks in France in very hot temperatures. I never did find a solution to reattaching it.

It fitted very well indead.

Looked good on the Transit but I am not intending to buy one for my latest van - Ducato Euro 4 with new black Euro 5 dash.

Sorry it came with the van, so I dont have any experience in buying the kit. I know it was fitted by the dealer as when we bought the van the specification sheet detailed a 'wooden dash kit'. When I collected it wood dash was not fitted so dealer had to quickly purchase and fit one for me. That is after they denied it was on original specification sheet. I took a photograph of the spec sheet attached to the van at the show when we bought it so round one to me. :-D I would not have bought one myself I just wanted what I had been promised at time of ordering the van.

ips - 2012-03-05 10:57 AM

questions re burr effect wood trim kit for ford transit,

does it stay stuck on,

does it fit properly,

does it look good or is it a bit tacky

best place to purchase

Answers in order (1) Yes,(2) Yes,(3) eye of the beholder ? (4) :

http://www.walnutdashcompany.com/shop/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=288

£74.

;-) Ray

With ref. to above post, for it to stay on ,it has to be fitted Exactly as per the instructions. Prior cleaning especially.

Guest JudgeMental

not for me..they look cheap and chavvy IMO

I have a large pair of fluffy dice, which I can move from vehicle to vehicle.......Pure class :D

JudgeMental - 2012-03-05 2:50 PM

not for me..they look cheap and chavvy IMO

I have a large pair of fluffy dice, which I can move from vehicle to vehicle.......Pure class :D

Furry dice eh............your style knows no boundaries :-D

PS

cant even see through mini ips's windscreen for all the things she has dangling form mirror, yep furry dice included :-D

If you take your time and follow the instructions can look good Does have a tendency to peel off if window screen left in direct sun Mine as has been on for 4 years and still looks good http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__wood%20dashboard%20kits_W0QQ_dmdZ2?crlp=2096396018_228459_228460&UA=WXI7&keyword=wood%20dashboard%20kits&agid=857873078 http://walnutdashcompany.com/shop/

pepe63 - 2012-03-05 3:22 PM

Very smart RobinH'...

(..although strangely,you do appear to have a sad faced,choc-chip cookie,in your OS cup holder?! (lol) )

.....tennis ball (with a smiley face) that goes over the gearstick as a reminder to stop me driving away with the steadies down.

Don't ask! :$

Very smart RobinH'...

(..although strangely,you do appear to have a sad faced,choc-chip cookie,in your OS cup holder?! (lol) )

No, it's definately a 'jammie dodger'.

tennis ball Eh , thats a good idea.

Robinhood - 2012-03-05 3:58 PM

Very smart RobinH'...

.....tennis ball (with a smiley face) that goes over the gearstick as a reminder to stop me driving away with the steadies down.

Don't ask! :$

Arrh!..I see...

..after a "close call",I now lay the wrench for the rear-steadies,across the peddles... ;-)

(Sorry Off Topic.. :$ )

ips - 2012-03-05 10:57 AM................

does it look good or is it a bit tacky.....................

Well, since you asked, it is plastic coloured to look like wood so, IMO, can never look good, and will always be tacky. 'Orrible stuff! Again, IMO, there is nothing wrong with plastic that looks like what it is. But only since you asked, you understand! :-D

... as you're happy NOT spending money on a new PVC so instead you're trying to spend it on something else .... splash the cash on some 'brash' for your Flash????

(lol)

The only dash trim that I've seen that I think looks half decent are the mock graphite/carbon fibre/silver/aluminium ones:

dash trim kits

You do know that this is the start of the slipper slope don't you ... next you'll be putting on silver mirror guards, alloy wheels etc ..... and don't forget the 'ips and Mrs ips' sun shade!!! :$

I'm planning to fit the dash trim on Monday, I'll let you all know how it goes.

And as for Mel's slippery slope, here in Essex a lot of people favour those rather fetching furry dice hanging from the mirror (although of course some of you would have to fit a mirror first!).

Do you think Roxie would benefit from a pair of those?

PS Just rememberd, when I was in the paperback book trade in Lancashire, many moons ago, my company Sherpa van had a sunstrip which said "TONY'S BUK TRUK"

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-06 5:33 PM

ips - 2012-03-05 10:57 AM................

does it look good or is it a bit tacky.....................

Well, since you asked, it is plastic coloured to look like wood so, IMO, can never look good, and will always be tacky. 'Orrible stuff! Again, IMO, there is nothing wrong with plastic that looks like what it is. But only since you asked, you understand! :-D

.......but being a superior German 'van, I was assured that mine was really graphene, masquerading as titanium, given a plastic look, and coloured to mimic wood.

Vorsprung durch technik, as they say in Sunderrand! ;-)

Oh dear.

Went to start work on the dash kit this morning, only to find I've been sent the LHD version, even though the online description clearly stated RHD.

I've e-mailed the supplier (an e-bay shop), so let's see what happens.

I'm optimsitic, as he was quick to respond last week when I realised the "surface primer" was missing, but let's see how good he is when it involves replacing the whole kit!

Guest peter
What's the big deal about "real wood". Surely it's the cosmetic effect that really matters and whether it enhances the look of the dashboard sufficiently to justify the cost and effort. In my opinion even imitation wood looks infinately better than the boring grey plastic found in most vans.

Archived