wood dashboard

ips

Yes, Peter. I actually thought the one I highlighted wasn't 'too bad' (as far as these things go. Our dash is a bit bare and changing the van is a bit of a leap.....

Ray, I know what you mean about real wood and how it looks but I'm sure it's not easy to get the real thing 'stuck' onto a plastic dash.....but you never know!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
peter - 2012-03-12 9:02 PM

What's the big deal about "real wood". Surely it's the cosmetic effect that really matters and whether it enhances the look of the dashboard sufficiently to justify the cost and effort. In my opinion even imitation wood looks infinitely better than the boring grey plastic found in most vans.

Functional honesty, Dear Peter, and aesthetic purity. Things should look like what they are. Imitations are conceits. Imitations of certain things are called forgeries eg banknotes, Titians.

They seek to emulate that which they are not. So, the real challenge is to produce attractive objects from plastic, not merely to make plastic look like something it is not, however convincingly. Besides, why wood? Since plastics can be made to resemble pretty much anything, why not steak, marble, rusty iron, or anything else?

Think how confused you may feel if you entered what you had thought would be a church - and it turned out to be a brothel! There is reason to these things, you see. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-13 3:15 PM

Think how confused you may feel if you entered what you had thought would be a church - and it turned out to be a brothel! There is reason to these things, you see. :-D

Brian ... did you really have to say that! Now Peter will be popping into all the churches just to find out! 8-)

And as for the Judge .... *-)

Mel B - 2012-03-13 6:26 PM

Brian ... did you really have to say that! Now Peter will be popping into all the churches just to find out! 8-)

And as for the Judge .... *-)

Damn, was my motive really that transparent! :-D

Or VICE versa, of course!

(Oh, but then I could leap out and shout "Fooled you!")

Guest peter

And I would say "no you didn't Tony" because if wasn't, you wouldn't be there. (lol)

By the way Tony, if you save fallen women, can you save one for me please. :D

Tony Jones - 2012-03-13 10:46 PM

Or VICE versa, of course!

(Oh, but then I could leap out and shout "Fooled you!")

I had no idea Peter preferred his vice versa, but as they say, whatever turns one on! :-D

Allo, Allo, I just thought I'd go back to this thread, to see a 'Real Wooden dash kit' only to find we have strayed into Brothels that look like Churches and 'Vice Versa' (sic) !! We seem to have 'Wandered from the True path' Bretheren..... (what are you like ? behave !). :D :D :D :D Ray

.......well, by all accounts Peter would probably walk out again, ....................but he wooden dash! :-)

Tony Jones - 2012-03-12 11:41 AM

Wow!

A personal reply already (ie within minutes!), apologising for the mix-up and saying he's posting the RHD one today, and arranging a courier to collect the LHD one.

I'll let you know what happens next.

The guy from the e-Bay shop (Sam, from "Auto-Distance") has just been IN PERSON, from London, to deliver the RHD set and collect the LHD one. He also brought us a big block of chocolate by way of apology!

That's what I call service - must make sure I put a good review on e-Bay..

Not sure when I'll get round to fitting it now, as this weekend is Church Anniversary as well as Mothers Day, but I'll keep you posted.

It's described as "wood," not "wood effect," and although it has a glossy finish it certainly looks and feels thicker than would be necessary for plastic. My guess is it's a thin walnut veneer on a plastic backing (which gives it more strength & flexibility than the wood on its own).

Robinhood - 2012-03-15 9:03 AM

.......well, by all accounts Peter would probably walk out again, ....................but he wooden dash! :-)

Oh Robinh'...That's either dreadful...or brilliant!...I just can't make up my mind which... (lol)

bolero boy - 2012-03-15 5:24 PM

Tony, accoring to the ebay listing it is an 'omsaline' product - I went to their website and it looks like it might be this one.

http://www.omsaline.com/En/Page-c.asp?omsa=7&id=892&ktid=17&mrid=45&mdlid=257

I think this looks fine.

No prices on the site other than the ebay listing.

So, to be clear, you propose covering your dashboard in Turkish delight? Such style! :-D

pepe63 - 2012-03-15 6:12 PM

Robinhood - 2012-03-15 9:03 AM

Oh Robinh'...That's either dreadful...or brilliant!...I just can't make up my mind which... (lol)

.....rather like the thread opinions on the dash, then! :-)

(posted very slowly via Kindle)

Guest peter
As the self appointed resident style guru of this forum, I would say that it looks very nice. That's all you need to know. Go ahead Tony, you are obviously a man with an abundance of good taste and style. Unlike the ones deriding your choice, who are quite happy (tight fisted and lacking style) to keep the boring grey plastic on view. (lol)

Guest pelmetman

I'm thinking of having a wooden knob.............but i'm not sure if er in doors will like it :-S.............

...........as my old one is getting quite shiny from too much use ;-)

pelmetman - 2012-03-15 10:33 PM

I'm thinking of having a wooden knob.............but i'm not sure if er in doors will like it :-S.............

...........as my old one is getting quite shiny from too much use ;-)

BRILL !!!!!!!!!!

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest peter
pelmetman - 2012-03-15 10:33 PM

...........as my old one is getting quite shiny from too much self abuse ;-)

Even better. (lol) (lol)

peter - 2012-03-15 8:58 PM

As the self appointed resident style guru of this forum, I would say that it looks very nice. ..................(lol)

Nice (from on-line etymological dictionary)

late 13c., "foolish, stupid, senseless," from O.Fr. nice "silly, foolish," from L. nescius "ignorant," lit. "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (see un-) + stem of scire "to know." "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] -- from "timid" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c.1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830). In 16c.-17c. it is often difficult to determine exactly what is meant when a writer uses this word. By 1926, it was pronounced "too great a favourite with the ladies, who have charmed out of it all its individuality and converted it into a mere diffuser of vague and mild agreeableness." [Fowler]

I rest my case! :-D :-D

Tony, accoring to the ebay listing it is an 'omsaline' product - I went to their website and it looks like it might be this one.

I think this looks fine.

I've cut and pasted the below which is from the Omsa website ...

"We have been wolking for 13 years with our quality production by Wooden, Carbon, Chrome, Aluminium and Leather car accessories with safe steps With great investigation for our R & D studies, we have been reaching day after day a great production scope

Our company knows the needs of the sector, by R & D studies we transfered addition and experiences of our valuable customers to our productions.

"Our broadly production scope is a creation of our friendly togetherness."

I'm still trying to work out exactly what they are saying!!! 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-03-16 9:12 PM

I think this looks fine.

I've cut and pasted the below which is from the Omsa website ...

"We have been wolking for 13 years with our quality production by Wooden, Carbon, Chrome, Aluminium and Leather car accessories with safe steps With great investigation for our R & D studies, we have been reaching day after day a great production scope

Our company knows the needs of the sector, by R & D studies we transfered addition and experiences of our valuable customers to our productions.

"Our broadly production scope is a creation of our friendly togetherness."

I'm still trying to work out exactly what they are saying!!! 8-)

A lose translation would be..............We make plastic stuff that we would like to flog to you for a profit ;-)

Guest peter
Brian Kirby - 2012-03-16 12:02 PM

As the self appointed resident style guru of this forum, I would say that it looks very nice. ..................(lol)

late 13c., "foolish, stupid, senseless," from O.Fr. nice "silly, foolish," from L. nescius "ignorant," lit. "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (see un-) + stem of scire "to know." "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] -- from "timid" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c.1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830). In 16c.-17c. it is often difficult to determine exactly what is meant when a writer uses this word. By 1926, it was pronounced "too great a favourite with the ladies, who have charmed out of it all its individuality and converted it into a mere diffuser of vague and mild agreeableness." [Fowler]

Brian..........Get a life. :D You're getting as bad as, dare I say it ? Francis Graham. (sorry for swearing)

peter - 2012-03-16 10:58 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-16 12:02 PM

Brian..........Get a life. :D You're getting as bad as, dare I say it ? Francis Graham. (sorry for swearing)

Just like the red meat string, Peter. Knowledge is a wonderful thing!

Guest peter
I think everyone on here knows how to use Google, Brian. So you can't lay claim to having delved into the deepest recesses of your memory to retrieve the descriptions of "nice" that you obviously cut and pasted. So....yes knowledge is a wonderful thing. What seperates the intelligent from lesser mortals is that the inteligent know where to look for answers to problems. Whereas others don't, so feel inferior as a consequence. What they don't realise is that these so called clever people are just good at being lazy and using information that is readilly available, if you know where to look. :D

Archived