Hungry with a camping car has anyone been there

plumbersvan

Last winter it felt like summer after the wet summer. I was tierd of London& had been asked to Budapest but would have to find somewhere to stay A flat had been found at £36 a day for the two weeks.Then I had an idea which while it was great fun was badly planed and almost a disaster.

By chance our old 60s VW camper was still over hear in a barn it was 25c blue sky and I could borrow it.I chose a route across Austich which was very German

I arrived in Budapest to be told its FORBIDDEN to sleep in a camping car other than when staying on a campsite, there were two campings in Budapest, and BOTH were closed last winter for work to conform with EU rules,in the end I was allowed to park on a private residence parking area.

I had called the Hungarian information service in London and looked online before leaving and no where did it say campingcars must use campings.It was a rush to leave as someone was leaving that evening and would take me to the VW

I would like to have seen Hungry but on reflection I dont think I will.But I wonder how the campings are with a camping car?

Has anyone been there?What is it like outside the capital?What are the campings like?Are they easy to find? Is there room during summer?Is the summer as hot as I was told it is?How much will a tourist pay for a night?

:-|And yes while i was there i did ask the tourist office :-D They didnt have much infromation sheets left but what they had didnt list prices or much about the campings

yes i suppose so

Ill be away for about a week or so,all the Mac doos have such small parkings

If everyone knows who i am,and i just cant understand how the forum knew it was my new identity,ill have to re invent myself,then i can critisise men drivers and French woman :-D

Camping vans are getting bigger this weekend a "concord" arrived 8-) I had never heard of "a concord" campingcar :'( But all the French knew and said they would love to have one??A concord is the size of a town bus :-S It must limit the places to stop?

As it is i wonder there arnt more damaged camping vans,you cant see flower pots low bollards or trees planted around busy aires :-S And how can a campingcar park in the center of town??

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2012-03-05 1:58 PM

Looks like that person AGAIN Fiona/Alf//plumbersvan

!!

Say no more

Hey! That is a bit rude

Not much help to you but I used to go to Hungary regularly on business where they made most of the cast aluminium garden furniture that you still see on sale in garden centres to this day for us. The MOT used to supply us with a book of anti Russian jokes which went down very well with the Hungarians. We also used to take small toys for their children.

All of the rooms we stayed in and all the meeting rooms were bugged. Knowing this we used to hold conversations in them about moving some of the work to Mexico where we could get some very good prices. We kept this up for years to hold their prices down!

plumbersvan - 2012-03-05 2:16 PM

yes i suppose so

Ill be away for about a week or so,all the Mac doos have such small parkings

If everyone knows who i am,and i just cant understand how the forum knew it was my new identity

It must be your unmistakable writing style..............?? I love your posts but I could tell it's you a mile away!

been a couple of times recently, mostly in low season.lots of campsites around lake balaton (kesetherly area is nice), and budapest is brilliant and has 4-5 campsites, all with easy reach of the centre, using the cheap travel card (usable on bus, tram, underground and train). stayesd at haller camping last time, right bin the city, close to transport and eeasy to find with satnav.

there are people on here that have done more of hungary and will no doubt speak up,

Spent two weeks there bumbling aimlessly to all four corners and it was fantastic. Went through the capital but didn't stop (don't 'do' cities). There seemed to be a few campsites about, especially in the tourist honey-pots like Balaton etc. but I confess to not paying much attention because we don't use them.

There is some fantastic landscape, the wildlife is awesome, and the people we encountered were warm and friendly.

If your bag is culture and architecture, I have no idea what it's like there.

Archived