Deposit on the mh ,what else needed?

davidmac

I have taken the plunge and put a deposit on a secondhand motorhome and would like to know what other bits and pieces I will need.I have a 25m and 2 12m electric cables which need plugs changing from 110 v to 240v for UK use but what are the hook up connections in Europe.How long a hose for fresh water top up and what type of connector.Grey water hose length? When we had a motorhome many years ago we joined the caravan club and used mostly their CL sites, is this the best club to join. We will no doubt find out as we use the motorhome what we do or do not need so just a few pointers to get us started. Thanks David

How exciting, what have you bought Davidmac?

You may need some levelling blocks

Possibly silver screens if you camp in winter?

A second battery? especially if you use cs/cl's.

We belong to both clubs. We prefer Caravan club sites but like the C&CC Rallies and THS. Not stayed on any CL's or CS's yet.

davidmac - 2012-03-05 8:24 PM

I have taken the plunge and put a deposit on a secondhand motorhome and would like to know what other bits and pieces I will need.I have a 25m and 2 12m electric cables which need plugs changing from 110 v to 240v for UK use but what are the hook up connections in Europe.How long a hose for fresh water top up and what type of connector.Grey water hose length? When we had a motorhome many years ago we joined the caravan club and used mostly their CL sites, is this the best club to join. We will no doubt find out as we use the motorhome what we do or do not need so just a few pointers to get us started. Thanks David

Hi and welcome to the forum-I would suggest:

Cab Screens (Preferably)

Leveling Blocks

A 'curly' hose as less room but will stretch out plus all adaptors in different sizes

French plug to Euro adaptor (You can make this yourself)

Triangle, High Viz jackets, Spare bulbs & 1st Aid kit for Europe

Gas Bottles

Barbie :-)

Leisure Chairs & Table

Doormat

Toolkit-just in case

I'm sure there are thousands of other things but this should get you started without too much expense

Mike

Hi David, can only add a good map, or sat-nav, or both.

regards

alan b

Hi Davidmac

Not a should have item,but a should do .Depending on age of Van look at getting cam belt changed ,we brought a van three years ago 11k on clock 5 years old ,couldnot get a sensible answer as to how many years it should be changed at.Just over £300 pounds and lots of peace of mind .Enjoy your new purchase.

Agree with snowie re-the map. IMO never rely on sat nav always double check route on a good old fashioned map cos sat navs have a tendency of taking you down roads you may not want to go down (thats been my experience with 2 sat navs that I have used) particularily whilst trying to find CL's

davidmac - 2012-03-05 8:44 PM

Autosleeper Luxor EB (wwwserenitymotorhomes)

Regards David

Just noticed your location. I am just outside Bedford , Wootton

I think that this van is an 'A' Class Right ? Then it's one of the only vans that Autosleeper 'Bought in' from another manufacturer 'Mirage' I believe. and the good new is there is an owners club :

http://mirageownersclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=11

Always handy for 'chatting about your van', how to get spare parts etc.,

So you would need a 'Special Windscreen Cover' (silverscreens) have a chat with Silverscreens or Taylormade, I am sure they would get or make you one.

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

Enjoy your Purchase ! ;-) Ray

PS. here is the Autosleepers Club Website as well : http://www.asoc.fsnet.co.uk/

As no one else has picked it up GREY WATER HOSE :-S no I dont think so, in most motorhomes you have a grey water outlet, you usually find both in club sites, aires etc; there is a grate that you position the van over and open the drain tap, our van has a concertina hose that you can attach to the outlet if you cant get near the grate, we also carry a grey water container that we can put under the van and empty just as you would with a caravan.

You will need an adapter to fix onto your electric cable if you are going abroad as their hookups are usually the two pin type :-D the men will have to enlighten you with this one.

Both Clubs are very similar these days the only difference being in the CCC you get a discount when over 55 or 6 not sure about how young as we are well over that. ;-)

Tap connectors? Same as UK usually available in your DIY in a set of large, med and small but never used the small yet, if you have a a push on type at home put that in as well esp in the winter when water points are few and far apart.

Eleccy? blue euro plugs on the ends of your leads, then a blue to 13A 3 pin so you can plug into the house and a blue to 2pin and earth european plug but make sure its the German type with the cut away sides (is that a 'schuko'?) so its useful in France and Germany, the full round French type will not fit German Sockets.

Black waste pipe, useful but not strictly necessary, I get by with 2 meters slid into the rear bumper.

Levelling wedges, Silver screens, windscreen cleaning sponge on a long handle, Toilet blue, fresh water tank sterilizer, bleach for the drains,

Co driver/cook or a hot water bottle at this time of the year.

maggyd - 2012-03-06 8:06 PMAs no one else has picked it up GREY WATER HOSE :-S no I dont think so, in most motorhomes you have a grey water outlet, you usually find both in club sites, aires etc; there is a grate that you position the van over and open the drain tap, our van has a concertina hose that you can attach to the outlet if you cant get near the grate, we also carry a grey water container that we can put under the van and empty just as you would with a caravan.

;-)

We carry a grey water waste hose for those rare times when we end up on a 'super' or 'euro' pitch where you can drain straight into the drain on the pitch - saves either driving to the drain on the way out or using the Wastemaster. Useful bit of kit!

... I have a 25m and 2 12m electric cables which need plugs changing from 110 v to 240v for UK use ...

Hi David

I'm a bit 'concerned' about this - are you intending to use cable that is meant for 110v for 240v instead? If so, are you sure it is of a sufficient capacity/thickness to take the extra draw?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

:-S

Thanks for all your advice and sugestions,I am making a list .Will probably buy a few bits and pieces and go somewhere not too far away for a few days to try it out before getting too adventurs.

Mel b The cables are 2.5 which is the same as the power in your house.Thiner cable is1.0 which is lighting.It is more about Watts and amps than volts for our sort of useage.A thinner cable has more resistance than a thicker one leading to voltage drop and in some cases heating of the cable.The only difference is my cables are yellow not blue or orange.

Regards David

Archived