tent with windows

trickydicky

Something like this maybe?

http://www.tents-direct.co.uk/show_tents.php?productid=1720&forsale=tents&price=cheap&onlineproduct=Awnings%2FExtensions

There is a German van parked near us at the moment with a rather nice one and I have been meaning to sidle over and see if I can see a manufacturer's name on it. I'll let you know. We've been thinking along those lines ourselves as we currently have an awning which slides into the slot on the wind out (instead of a full safari room). But when it is very windy, it tugs at the van and flaps about, so we thought a freestanding "lounge" might be just the job. What about a gazebo with sides?

Right, the Germans went out this afternoon so I went over to have a look. Theirs is actually a drive-away awning set up as a free standing job, so I went for a walk round the site as there are quite a lot of "kitchen tents" here (Cabo de Gata, Almeria). Quite a few folk are doing likewise, i.e. a free standing drive-away, but I also found a good selection of others.

Three websites for you to look at:

http://www.inaca.es/en/cocinas.php

www.stilavances.com

www.Leinwand.es

The Inaca website lists Glossop Caravans and Catterick Caravans as UK dealers. All three manufacturers I have seen here on site produce good sturdy quality so I doubt it will come cheap.

All the pitches here have adequate space, but of course it all depends what else you want to put on it!

I have been sitting here thinking about it some more. The kitchen tents only have doors on one side. In our position now, we want to be able to sit in the sun out of the wind, or maybe sit in the shade when the sun is too hot, and then of course the wind keeps changing direction. So we need to be able to open each side depending on the conditions. If we had a kitchen tent, we could only use it to sit out of a north wind and in full sun. Therefore, it strikes me that the drive-away awning set up as a freestanding option is going to offer all the various combinations as they usually have all sorts of doors and zip out fronts, etc! I have taken a photo of the German couple's set up and will attempt to upload it for you.

This particular one is Dutch - www.oberlink.nl

Forget about a gazebo - there are not meant to be left out and will blow away, plus they can be bulky and not very strong at all.

I'd suggest something like one of the Outdoor Revolution Movelite range of drive away awnings, we've had the VRX (2.4m x 2.4m, not now produced), but there's also the 'Square (2m x 2m), and our current one the XL (3m x 3m). All of these have doors on both sides plus the front and also the rear where you would normally attach it to the 'van via a 'tunnel' piece but you don't have to do this. These awning as well made and come with storm straps so they can be left out in bad weather without worry. There are other makes out there too, but we've found these to be the best in our view.

If you don't want to pay the price for a new one, check out your local newpaper, and also the 'buy and sell' section of the O&A website as they are sometimes on there, and also on other sites, and of course ebay. Our last one came off the Caravan Club website classified section (open to non-members), and UK Campsites forum often has them too. Our VRX (2.4m) one was 'as new' as it had never been used and cost us £50 locally (bargain), our 'as new' XL cost £90 and had been used twice as the seller sold his MH so didn't need it anymore.

Yes, agree about Movelite - we have the Pro Explore which we purchased virtually unused on Ebay and it is very good but it slots into the awning channel rather than being freestanding and our van is not really tall enough for it so it doesn't fit very well, hence I am researching this topic.

There are actually several gazebos which appear to be permanently on site here and have survived the high winds we have had this winter. They are good quality ones, not the £20 from B&Q jobs.

I will try again to upload the photo I mentioned earlier. I should further clarify that according to the label on it, it is a Hypercamp Fashion Gold supplied by Obelink.

Rowan Lee - 2012-03-08 8:36 AM

Yes, agree about Movelite - we have the Pro Explore which we purchased virtually unused on Ebay and it is very good but it slots into the awning channel rather than being freestanding and our van is not really tall enough for it so it doesn't fit very well, hence I am researching this topic.

From what I can tell, the Pro Explore looks more like a caravan type porch awning and isn't meant to be freestanding and doesn't have a 'tunnel' part to it - is that right?

The free-standing Movelite XL, Square and VRX awnings are different - the tunnel, not the main part of the awning, is what attaches to the wind-out awning track (or you can throw the straps over the motorhome and secure it that way). The tunnel part has a hem all around its edge with elasticated 'string' through it so once it's slotted in the track (or strapped over the MH) you can tension it to get it a nice snug fit which I don't think you can do easily with your current awning.

As for gazebos, you can get much better, more expensive ones, but they tend to be quite bulky and heavy so storage then could be an issue.

Archived