No win No fee costs 12k!

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Lawyers are being told to be far more open and honest about their costs by the Legal Ombudsman.

It says a third of the complaints it deals with are about charges. Often many people are being ripped off with unexpectedly large bills without a proper explanation.

The Legal Ombudsman is issuing separate guidelines for lawyers and consumers in an effort to overcome the problem.

Like many people Mohammed Sabir from Dudley took up a "no-win no-fee" offer from his solicitor when he began legal proceedings.

Months later he was given a bill for £12,000 and the ombudsman eventually upheld his complaint.

Mr Sabir told Sky News: "I felt helpless, because it was financially very difficult - and this was a reputable company.

"I felt if action was taken against them and I lost, then that would be a further financial loss to me, which holds you back from taking such action."

The guide to lawyers advises that they "clearly explain" their charges as soon as possible.

It suggests that lawyers give a "reasonable estimate" of the total costs of a case and that they ensure their bills are "clear and transparent".

Tim Lock from Co-operative Legal Services agrees with the new advice.

"Law is a very complicated area and people don't use legal services very often, particularly consumer legal services."

The Legal Ombudsman is warning that many people who are handed unexpectedly large legal fees suffer financial and emotional distress.

It is warning lawyers that in an increasingly competitive legal market it is in everyone's interest to raise the standards when it comes to costs and customer service.

Lawyers dont you just luv em *-)...................

I especially like this bit...... "Lawyers are being told to be far more open and honest"........... (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-03-06 11:00 AM

Dave..are you *deliberately* trying to coax FG to post...? (lol)

What 8-).................me 8-)................invite the wrath of FG 8-)...............

Just doing my public duty.......by flagging up.......dodgy practice :D.........by reputable companies *-)..........funny how the ombudsman doesn't name the firm *-).............perhaps they're afraid of being sued (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2012-03-06 10:45 AM

It is warning lawyers that in an increasingly competitive legal market it is in everyone's interest to raise the standards when it comes to costs and customer service.

Lawyers dont you just luv em *-)...................

I especially like this bit...... "Lawyers are being told to be far more open and honest"........... (lol) (lol)

Sue them, thats what I say :D

LordThornber - 2012-03-06 7:35 PM

flicka - 2012-03-06 7:06 PM

Robinhood - 2012-03-06 11:27 AM

.....you should always take legal advice before consulting a lawyer. ;-)

Especially before consulting the local Bar Room Lawyer. >:-)

Of which there are numerous on here....

Martyn

......that might be considered libelous ;-)

Robinhood - 2012-03-06 11:27 AM

.....you should always take legal advice before consulting a lawyer. ;-)

Funny enough, not as silly as it sounds 8-) We have taken advice from CLA lawyers before consulting a lawyer, makes a world of differance when you are clued up beforehand. ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived