window rubbers etc

derek pringle

Hi All,

Sure some people out there will know and be able to help.

Getting the van ready for the year and was wandering what is the best cleaner/ preserver for the black window rubbers please. A showroom guy once told me old fashioned olive oil did the trick but want the best possible stuff around.

thanks in advance for any helpful replies

cheers

derek

Guest Tracker

NOT olive oil as it will probably make the rubbers so sticky that you won't be able to open the windows!

I've never used anything other than a wipe with a damp cloth followed, when dry, by some cheap talcum powder rubbed in to prevent sticking and squeaking but no doubt there are preparations you can buy that will do the same for a greater cost!

Guest Tracker
Colin Leake - 2012-03-06 4:46 PM

The advice given above is good. The other thing that works well and is safe is Thetford toilet seal lubricant! Honest.

I believe you Colin - but the mind boggles as to how you found this out!

Tracker - 2012-03-06 12:27 PM

NOT olive oil as it will probably make the rubbers so sticky that you won't be able to open the windows!

I've never used anything other than a wipe with a damp cloth followed, when dry, by some cheap talcum powder rubbed in to prevent sticking and squeaking but no doubt there are preparations you can buy that will do the same for a greater cost!

Don't use talcum powder it has perfumes in it that attack rubber use baby powder or silicon rubber seal lube

Tracker - 2012-03-06 12:27 PM

Completely agree with Tracker. We have used plain ordinary talcum powder on ours since new and on all our previous caravans and motorhomes (thats over 45 years even on glass windowed vans) prior to this with only good effect and nothing detrimental, it does not attack the rubber at all.

One plus point is it leaves a nice perfumed smell too, always reminds us of our kids as we use Johnsons baby powder normally or any other that happens to be to hand!

Bas

Archived