Tyres

gwyn

Has anyone any experience of buying tyres in Andorra, sometime this year we will need some new ones. We know exactly what we want and have priced it locally we know from a search that we can get these tyres in Andorra but cannot find out how the cost compares.

If you have searched and found the tyres you want then why not just email the company you found them with and ask.

You may find this link useful or maybe not...

http://www.andorrapneumatics.com/andorra_tyres_eng.html

I can see where you are coming from and supposedly cheaper, but as has been mentioned if you need new tyres then you would be more than wise to have fitted before you go. If teh other way around and you are prematurely changngtyres to get teh cost saving then it makes sense but put safety 1st and do not drive on worn or old tyres even though they may still be legal.

We're not quite THAT stupid,thankyou!!!! tyres are still well legal but we are aware that almost certainly within the next year some will need replacing, we are looking ahead as we know we will be travelling in that direction. Might try E mailing though.

gwyn - 2012-03-07 7:39 PM

We're not quite THAT stupid,thankyou!!!! tyres are still well legal but we are aware that almost certainly within the next year some will need replacing, we are looking ahead as we know we will be travelling in that direction. Might try E mailing though.

As you know exactly which tyres you want, you may need to consider whether you'll be able to obtain them abroad when you need them.

It's far from unknown - particularly if the tyres in question are 'camping-car' type - for there to be sudden and lengthy shortages, sometimes lasting several months.

Even if you are able to obtain price quotes from Andorran tyre suppliers, there's no guarantee those prices won't have changed by the time you get there or, even more significantly, that the suppliers will be able to source the tyres you want within a reasonable time-frame. Then what would you do?

I can understand why you'd be reluctant to replace tyres that still have some useful life in them but, unless you plan to do sufficient mileage between now and your arrival in Andorra to wear your present tyres down to the point that they must be replaced, I can't see a great attraction in the idea of buying there.

I note that there are on-line comments suggesting that the Andorran tax structure might cause tyres to be available at bargain prices. This is fine in principle, but I'd be concerned about obtaining in Andorra the specific tyres I wanted, at the bargain price I'd expected and at the time I wanted them fitted. I'd also be asking myself (assuming that the Andorran tyre supplier orders only an exact number of the specific tyre you want) what happens if one of the tyres turns out to be a duffer? Depends on your optimism I guess and your level of risk tolerance, but I'd never factor a tyre-change into my motorcaravanning Continental touring plans.

Archived