Under 6m pvc v Over 6m pvc

tf756

Guest Peter James

Just something not mentioned so far.

The X2/50 Maxi van (6.36m) does not just have an extra 2 cubic metres of space behind the rear wheels (which makes for more even load distribution and less chance of overloading the front axle)

It also comes with larger wheels and larger brakes (both of which are more efficient) giving higher maximum axle loads (so even less chance of overloading any axle)

Since all the extra length is behind the rear wheels, the wheelbase is the same on both vans. So you can park in the same length of bay when the back of the van overhangs the kerb.

The only potentially serious drawback I can see with the longer van is if you regularly have to park within a 6 metre parking bay. To say the longer van is not as nice to drive is ridiculous. If there is any difference at all the longer van will be better because the larger the wheels the better the ride. Sounds like a salesman who just wants to sell the shorter van he has in stock.

Guest Peter James
Mel B - 2012-04-07 4:02 PM

Just had a look at the various globecar models, and the Vario is an interesting beast ...

http://www.globecarmotorhomes.co/the-range/scouty-vario.html

Interesting link Thank you.

You can see the difference between the L3 van (Globestar 599) and L4 van (Campscout 636) in the extra length behind the rear axle, which gives an extra 2 cubic metres inside. What is not so obvious, and often missed, is the extra benefits of the larger wheels, brakes, and axle capacities.

Guest Peter James

PS: I don't know of a ferry operator who charges more for a 6.3 metre van than a 6 metre van?

(or I would declare mine at 6 metres ;-) )

My problem is LD lines who charge a lot more for over 2.4 metres height.

But they are all over 2.4m high and they can measure the height much more easily than the length *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have only ever used Sea France or P&O, but despite giving the correct details for length and height I have never once had it checked, nor have I ever seen anyone else have theirs checked either. Given the time they have to change these ferries round I doubt they have the time or the inclination to get a tape measure out, unless someone knows better.

Guest Peter James

No I've never seen them out with a tape measure either Victor.

I was thinking though when LD Lines charge about double for over 2.4m high, they will probably have one of those infra red beams above the tool booths, set at 2.4m high. Much easier to do that, than measure vehicle length.

Peter James - 2012-04-07 3:08 PM

To say the longer van is not as nice to drive is ridiculous. If there is any difference at all the longer van will be better because the larger the wheels the better the ride. Sounds like a salesman who just wants to sell the shorter van he has in stock.

I'm no salesman, just an owner of an L4 van who has also clocked up thousands of miles on other versions of the x2/50, it is without doubt that the ride in a L4 is harser than in the shorter non maxi vans. There are of cause some advantages, very unlikely to overload either axle, less body roll and more stable when parked up and moving in the van.

Guest Peter James
colin - 2012-04-08 9:27 PM

Peter James - 2012-04-07 3:08 PM

To say the longer van is not as nice to drive is ridiculous. If there is any difference at all the longer van will be better because the larger the wheels the better the ride. Sounds like a salesman who just wants to sell the shorter van he has in stock.

I'm no salesman, just an owner of an L4 van who has also clocked up thousands of miles on other versions of the x2/50, it is without doubt that the ride in a L4 is harser than in the shorter non maxi vans. There are of cause some advantages, very unlikely to overload either axle, less body roll and more stable when parked up and moving in the van.

Fair comment, the springs may be harder for the increased axle loads so I could be wrong there :$

But I have found the ride in the L4 very comfortable. Especially if you weigh the axles and inflate the tyres acording to the weight carried.

Archived