Eriba owners - what's your awning....?

snobbyafghan

Just purchased a 2005 Eriba Puck and I'm wondering about the awning. I used to use a Movelite when I had a MH and that style seems cheapest but I don't need a driveaway with a caravan and the downside of those is their flappy, tenty characteristics, especially the linking tunnel. Now I'm an OAP, I want a traditional style awning - like a plastic conservatory :-D

The ones sold by the Eriba dealer I got the van from are designed to go with the Eriba but seem a tad expensive at £600+.

I'm interested in other's experience/decisions.

Snobby

If the one you're being offered is by Soplair, which is what we had with our Puck, it was of excellent quality, and the frame and fabric were properly prepared to mate with the rafter sockets and low awning rail of the Puck. I would check these aspects of any alternatives on offer.

There was a far simpler alternative, like a gazebo, that is lighter and much less bulky, but has no side walls. If you are happy to live outside, reserving the Puck just for sleeping and cooking, this may be a better option as it goes up far quicker, and with far less effort.

The full Puck awning has over 20 pegs around the walls, plus guys, and if the site is nicely sun-baked when you arrive (or even better stony as well :-)), and the temperature is in the higher 30's C - you'll be ever so glad when it's finally up!! Abandon the standard pegs and get rock spikes (like 10" nails) for the guys, and the short ones (about 6") for the sidewalls. Steel claw hammer to knock in and extract. Never defeated!

However, in the end we abandoned the whole thing and travelled with a simple, frameless, tensioned, flysheet. We bought a length of tent canvas, some eyelets and an eyeleting tool, plus a length of awning tape and some aluminium canopy poles, from a camping store. It had just two poles, and was tensioned out by two or four guys (plus those rock spikes!) depending on weather. It just slid into the awning rail, and was parked on its poles and guyed in about 10 minutes, and it was a one person job.

Have you checked the payload on your Puck? Ours was sold as 500kg MAM, but it weighed 480kg empty! After lots of faff Eriba re-plated it to 750kg, which was the plated axle maximum, so it was then legally usable. It was also quite heavy on the hitch, so 50kg towbars were no use. We never used the sofas and table, leaving the bed permanently made up and stowed the awning or canopy down the centre.

Great tow, and very stable. I forgot it was there once, and was hammering down a D road in France at about 70MPH when I remembered! :$ Have fun!

Thanks Brian, a very interesting answer. I think eventually, it will be the Eriba awning (plus rock spikes and claw hammer...!). I've had quite a few trips in France with our MH and then a Gobur folding caravan and, although it has been great weather mainly, there were very few evenings when some awning walls wouldn't come in handy for comfortable idling.

I must say, I'm impressed with the Eriba quality so far. It does make the finish and fitting on the Gobur look very second-rate.

Doug

snobbyafghan - 2012-03-08 9:24 AM

Thanks Brian, a very interesting answer. I think eventually, it will be the Eriba awning (plus rock spikes and claw hammer...!). ............................Doug

Don't know what your tow car is Doug, but I'd suggest you'll have to carry the awning in that. I forgot to say that it is fairly bulky and heavy even in its bag, and the frame on ours was steel.

Put that inside your Puck and it will take up all the space between the sofas so, if you do want to do a quick overnight and eat in the van, you'll end up balancing your plates on your knees, because you'll have nowhere for the table legs - or yours!

Archived