VAN MOT PAPERWORK

FRANKP60

Morning all .

Had the van MOT yesterday ,(passed great).When I was talking to the tester about the new style paperwork, he said that they had been to a meeting on Monday and it was being looked at that ,in near future no paperwork will be issued ,and details will be computer stored .Wonder what happens when we go over the water and get stopped by Mr Plod !!!!!!!!!!!

I assume you will be able to print the required document(s) off when you need them as many insurance companies do now.

Many people never need hard copies of vehicle documents during the year. You dont need to present your MOT certificate when you go for the annual test as the garage can get the details off the computer.

FRANKP60 - 2012-03-08 7:30 AM

Morning all .

Had the van MOT yesterday ,(passed great).When I was talking to the tester about the new style paperwork, he said that they had been to a meeting on Monday and it was being looked at that ,in near future no paperwork will be issued ,and details will be computer stored .Wonder what happens when we go over the water and get stopped by Mr Plod !!!!!!!!!!!

A govt. website says that from Oct 2011 MoT certs will not be printed on pre-printed coloured forms.

They will be printed in black ink on blank paper.

The cert will confirm that the pass has been recorded on a database.

josie gibblebucket - 2012-03-08 2:50 PM

But many people, particularly the older generation may not have access to a computer, and would need a paper copy of the MOT to tax their vehicle at the Post Office wouldn't they? *-)

Whilst there may be some implications due to data protection there should be no need to produce either a MOT or insurance cert at a post office, if I can sit at a computer and get tax as DVLA have records of insurance and MOT, I don't see why the same shouldn't be true of post office.

A govt. website says that from Oct 2011 MoT certs will not be printed on pre-printed coloured forms.

They will be printed in black ink on blank paper.

The cert will confirm that the pass has been recorded on a database.

"Roxie" had hers last week, and that's exactly what I got. Looks fine to me.

I'm a bit uneasy at the prospect of not having ANYTHING in writing though - for some reason I find it hard to put total trust in a government computer. Can't imagine why!

Guest pelmetman

Had my car serviced and MOT'd yesterday................picked it up from garage drove home and only had my old MOT with another bit of paper stapled to it *-).......................drove back to the garage thinking they'd forgotten to attach the new MOT.....................apparently the new bit of paper is the new MOT :$

I thought it was the garage copy :D

The new style document although it contains the words

"MOT Test Certificate" is really a Certificate certifying that an MOT pass has been recorded on VOSA's database.

A sample of the new certificate can be seen at :-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108

The Certificate contains the wording :-

"This document is a receipt style certificate telling you that an MOT Test pass result has

been recorded on The Vehicle & Operator Services Agency's (VOSA's) database of MOT

Test results;"

The status of your Current MOT can be checked at :-

www.direct.gov.uk/yourmotcheck

and this works for pre 16th October 2011 tests as well.

So like the Motor Insurers Bureau ASKMID database for checking the status of your insurance you can check the status of your MOT online.

This seems like progress but only if the database itself is diligently updated.

Archived