Air do we really have to have our own air line?

plumbersvan

:'( I like to check my air pressure from time to time.Again this year no garage ive used has an air line for customers 8-) The one i visited today is still out of order :'(

In the last aire i saw several campingvans with very flat looking tyers. :'( When i crossed a car park several cars had at least one very deflated tyer that is a danger.

The reason i found several campervans was a camping club arrived with,they said,50 camping vans.One a hymer from 07(Ardeche) and a registration 4000 xx 07 had a tyer so deflated it had to be noticed,it was parked opposit the tap,i noticed the flat on my first visit to the tap

That Hymer huge with a 4 wheel trailor hooked on had fuel stains under its filler and the whole side was black with diesel smoke,that van was clearly not looked after 8-) But so many new vans seem to have flat tyers

Where can a 12v pump be bought that will provide campervan pressures???

And rather than a stupid alcohol tester better garages are obliged to provide air

Try Sainsbury's or Tesco. These outlets have free air at Sainsbury, paid for at Tesco.

An alternative is to visit your local tyre fit premises. We have used Quick Fit and just put a contribution into the fitters Tea-boat.

Regards mike

Last year waiting for Eurotunnel to France the motorhome in front had an almost flat nearside and a soft offside when I told the driver he said I only got it out of storage yesterday and in the rush never thought to check the tyres !!! makes you think when some people are so " absent minded " a fully loaded motorhome with soft tyres trundling along the motorways.

I use one of these. It is for designed for track bikes and will inflate to about 120 psi. It has quite a large air capacity on each stroke.

It is quick to inflate a partially flat tyre, but like any other 12 volt portable inflator will not blow up a tyre when the bead has come away from the rim.

topeak-joeblowmax2.jpg.e00ee0f8ea879699f7ca8f6cf4dda8d4.jpg

I use one of these. It is for designed for track bikes and will inflate to about 120 psi. It has quite a large air capacity on each stroke.

It is quick to inflate a partially flat tyre, but like any other 12 volt portable inflator will not blow up a tyre when the bead has come away from the rim.

topeak-joeblowmax2.jpg.695f7bf8fe9976a36e330764add92766.jpg

Guest Tracker

I find it hard to understand why everyone does not carry either a foot pump or a 12v tyre pump - so much easier than changing a wheel or trying to find an airline if you get a slow puncture or a semi flat tyre?

Just make sure it will go to a high enough pressure and that your 12v lead will reach all five wheels - assuming you have and check the spare wheel?

Simples!!

plumbersvan - 2012-03-08 10:16 AM

:'( I like to check my air pressure from time to time.Again this year no garage ive used has an air line for customers 8-) The one i visited today is still out of order :'(

In the last aire i saw several campingvans with very flat looking tyers. :'( When i crossed a car park several cars had at least one very deflated tyer that is a danger.

The reason i found several campervans was a camping club arrived with,they said,50 camping vans.One a hymer from 07(Ardeche) and a registration 4000 xx 07 had a tyer so deflated it had to be noticed,it was parked opposit the tap,i noticed the flat on my first visit to the tap

That Hymer huge with a 4 wheel trailor hooked on had fuel stains under its filler and the whole side was black with diesel smoke,that van was clearly not looked after 8-) But so many new vans seem to have flat tyers

Where can a 12v pump be bought that will provide campervan pressures???

And rather than a stupid alcohol tester better garages are obliged to provide air

If you want a 12V pump that will handle a badly deflated motorhome-suitable large tyre, then opt for the Ring RAC900

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/241600/ring_rac900.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000W08QZY

This has a 7metre air hose and a 2.4metre power cable, so it should be able to reach the wheels of most motorhomes. It needs to be connected directly to a battery (not to a dashboard socket) as it draws a lot of 12V power, and it costs about £70 from Amazon. (No idea what French prices for it are.)

Guest Tracker
It does not hurt to carry a 12v impact wrench (with socket to fit) as the wheel nuts can be very tight and hard to shift by hand wrench.

Tracker - 2012-03-08 9:29 PM

It does not hurt to carry a 12v impact wrench (with socket to fit) as the wheel nuts can be very tight and hard to shift by hand wrench.

If you do fancy a 12V impact wrench it's essential to get one that will handle the high torque-setting necessary for tightening most motorhomes' wheel-nuts. Rather like 12V tyre pumps, cheap 12V impact wrenches will be adequate for cars but may be seriously challenged when faced with a motorhome.

My Transit-based Hobby's wheel-nuts require a torque-setting of 200Nm (147.5ft lb). This approaches double the wheel-nut torque-setting of many cars. I don't have any problem loosening the Hobby's wheel-nuts using the torque-wrench I carry in the motorhome, but I do have difficulty retightening the rear wheels' nuts due to the motorhome's bodywork overhang. So, for me, an impact wrench could be useful except (based on on-line reviews) I'm very doubtful that any 12V wrench would be up to the task.

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2012-03-09 8:01 AM

Tracker - 2012-03-08 9:29 PM

If you do fancy a 12V impact wrench it's essential to get one that will handle the high torque-setting necessary for tightening most motorhomes' wheel-nuts. Rather like 12V tyre pumps, cheap 12V impact wrenches will be adequate for cars but may be seriously challenged when faced with a motorhome.

My Transit-based Hobby's wheel-nuts require a torque-setting of 200Nm (147.5ft lb). This approaches double the wheel-nut torque-setting of many cars. I don't have any problem loosening the Hobby's wheel-nuts using the torque-wrench I carry in the motorhome, but I do have difficulty retightening the rear wheels' nuts due to the motorhome's bodywork overhang. So, for me, an impact wrench could be useful except (based on on-line reviews) I'm very doubtful that any 12V wrench would be up to the task.

Fair comment Derek - the other alternative is a wheel nut wrench extension bar for which a 2' length of scaffold pole is ideal and does the job - just be sure not to over tighten with it!

Derek Uzzell - 2012-03-08 6:58 PM

f you want a 12V pump that will handle a badly deflated motorhome-suitable large tyre, then opt for the Ring RAC900

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/241600/ring_rac900.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000W08QZY

This has a 7metre air hose and a 2.4metre power cable, so it should be able to reach the wheels of most motorhomes. It needs to be connected directly to a battery (not to a dashboard socket) as it draws a lot of 12V power, and it costs about £70 from Amazon. (No idea what French prices for it are.)

I agree. Bought one last year. Excellent bit of kit

Arthur

It's best, if you have a garage or workshop to get a proper compressor, it's so useful for many other things than just pumping up tyres, they are not too expensive compared with tyres, motorhomes etc.

Available from machine mart, plus other places, you need a long hose or two plus plug in connectors.

You can still carry your .12volt when away for emergency use, but it would be less likely to be needed.

Archived