WYNNS Diesel Additive ???

mike 202

I have just re-read Jonathon Lloyd's piece on Diesel Premium Vs Standard diesel in MMM Feb 2012 p191.

It has set me thinking about using an additive, in particular Wynns diesel additive to my 14,000 mile Transit Mk7 2.4l A/S. The product claims to clean/keep clean the injectors and fuel system. Not too worried about improved mpg. I just want to keep the engine in tip top condition.

The vehicle part is fully serviced by Ford main dealer annually. My average mileage is about 5000, mainly clocked up by 2 @ 6 week trips to Spain via France and I am not too sure about the quality of the fuel that I buy abroad. However "touch wood" no problems so far. A friend of mine always adds the product to his fuel tank from new and said that the engine runs smoother. He changes cars every 3yrs.

So, please forum members, has anyone used this particular product or similar in their motorhome and what if any, improvements have been noticed and any recommends for/against will be much appreciated.

Cheers Mike

I once made a mistake and filled up with the high grade deisel instead of the regular and what a difference it made to the engine performance. It must have purged the common rail injection system of all the cobwebs and since then after filling up with regular deisel the engine performs better than ever,so no need for an additive.

There is nothing wrong with using this sort of additive occasionally, especially before an MOT to clean it out for the Emmissions.

I put the odd dose of Redex diesel treatment into the tank once in a while and I regularly add a small amount of 2 Stroke engine oil in when I fill the tank with diesel.

For whatever reason, my van is running better than ever.

The fuel abroad can vary a lot, my transit Mk 7 had a pump and injectors failure at 30K whilst in Spain, I have to supect either poor quality fuel or contamination.

Fuel pumps and injectors cost an arm and a leg, and the modern common rail injection systems run at extremely high pressure. With good, clean fuel and a good fuel filter all will be well.

Adding anything is likely to result in hard questions should a pump or anything fail during warranty.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is stick with quality fuel, I will only use a branded fuel now, Shell is my first choice but if it's not available them one of the other well known brands.

I was in the habit of shopping around for cheap supermaket fuel, and I wonder if that was the reason for my pump failure. Who knows?

The diesel fuel is the only lubricant for the pump and injectors, and as I said the pump is whizzing round at very high pressure, I wouldn't put anything but a good quality fuel in it.

If you get any back or white smoke do not hesitate, take it to Ford for a health check, it might save the cost of an engine rebuild.

Inefficient injectors are known to cause overfueling on these engines, and overfueling will burn a hole through the piston(s) in no time.

H

Copied from Which?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuel additives: Which? says

You may be tempted to try some of these additives in an attempt to perk up your car’s performance, improve its economy or reduce exhaust emissions.

But the fuel additives we’ve tested seem very unlikely to return noticeable improvements in power, economy or emissions. And, like the premium fuels that we tested previously, they’re generally not worth the extra money.

If your car seems lacklustre, thirsty or smoky, try giving it a good motorway run (at least 50 miles) to clear the cobwebs and hopefully jolt the car’s electronic control unit (ECU) out of ‘urban mode’.

Guest pelmetman
Last year I put 2 stroke oil in with the diesel on my delivery van (99 Transit) after reading about it on the Transit forum..............It certainly added 3 to 4 mph to my top speed 8-).............It was supposed to increase mpg as well........ although I never checked it :D

Every service I have had done on my van at S n J at Poole includes fuel treatment , they fill the  fuel  filter with the stuff  when changing it and it acts like a mouth wash for the engine when first cranked or so they told me and the rest of the can goes in the fuel tank, when I had a recent MOT  done the  emission test went immediately to green and discussion with the tester  confirmed the  very good conditi on of my engine and explains  why I am getting  30 MPG from my 2.8 JTD   tag axle Hymer, I also use a can of diesel treatment mid way between services, works for me.

Archived