Nottingham

HWO

Hi

The Co-pilot has a bit -of -a -do in Nottingham early in the summer. I reckon that the easiest thing would for us to camp up there.

Looking at the various sites about, I think the best for us is at the watersports centre at Holme Pierrepont.The website makes it look wonderful, but I suppose it should. Anybody tried it ??

Also part of the plan see's me walking into the city centre from the site early on a Saturday evening to rescue the Co-pilot from the evil's of a night in Nottingham. Would that present me with any problems.

The distance is OK I was wondering about the natives, are they friendly ??

Any help appreciated

HWO

We used this site a few years ago, thought it was super, great to walk and cycle round the water park and watch all the activities, we  got a bus into the city  from near the site, great tram system round Nottingham, Google Nottingham Trams to see all

josie gibblebucket - 2012-03-08 9:10 PM

You should watch out for men in green tights carrying bows and arrows.............. ;-)

Well if that's what the men of Nottingham need to wear it is ok for me,But I will not be taking my shorts, socks and sandals off for anybody.

HWO

vindiboy - 2012-03-08 9:20 PM

We used this site a few years ago, thought it was super, great to walk and cycle round the water park and watch all the activities, we  got a bus into the city  from near the site, great tram system round Nottingham, Google Nottingham Trams to see all

Thanks for that

The bus's only seem to run on a Sunday now, but I can live with that.

I don't suppose the taxi fare back from the city will break the bank.

Although the main reason going is for the Co-pilot's party , I would like to try some white-water canoeing, so hope I can get that sorted a well

HWO

I read a review recently saying that the Holme Pierrepoint site facilities had or are being updated.

Sod's Law I can't now lay my hands on it. (It may have been in PM magazine.)

So may be worth checking facilities are not out of action for the work or if they are completed

Like most University .towns, the town centre is packed with students at night.

flicka - 2012-03-08 10:41 PM

I read a review recently saying that the Holme Pierrepoint site facilities had or are being updated.

Sod's Law I can't now lay my hands on it. (It may have been in PM magazine.)

So may be worth checking facilities are not out of action for the work or if they are completed

Like most University .towns, the town centre is packed with students at night.

Thanks Flicka

The Do she is attending is the Daughter-in-law to be Hen-weekend.

one of the events organised is a life drawing class, which will probably involve one or more of said male students posing in the buff.

Other bits of the day are being given over to cocktail making, and drinking I expect

When the youngsters hit the nightclubs, she felt that as she is nearer to her bus-pass then wanting a pass-out from a nightclub it was time to go home to boring old me and the dog,glass of wine and good book in the van.

That is why I have rescue from the city centre.

The stag weekend(they are not just nights anymore) is to Newcastle.I don't think my liver will stand that

and I have'nt found a campsite within walking of city-centre.

all the best

HWO

Sites for Nottingham that are decent for easy access or Public Transport are as rare as rocking-horse droppings.

There are a number of CLs around, but none of them are particularly accessible to transport.

Holme Pierrepont (though I can't vouch for the quality of the site itself - I've only been there once when there was an event on, and therefore very busy) is one of the better options.

Whilst buses only run out to the watersports centre on Sunday, the terminus of the 11 (with regular buses to/from the City Centre until late) is only about half a mile away, along roads with a pavement.

If you want to walk into the centre, then you should (subject to weather) be able to use the path alongside the Trent, which I would follow round as far as Trent Bridge, and then walk in along London Road (though the canal towpath next to the road is a quieter option).

The more "questionnable" areas are mainly well North of the river and Town Centre, and we have friends that live in Adbolton near the bus terminus, so no great issues.

The City Centre gets very "boisterous" on a Saturday Night, not somewhere I now relish at throwing out time, but early evening is fine.

You could easlily walk in and catch the bus back.

I,ve stayed at Holme Pierrepont and there was an event on (did not know untill i got there) and it was very busy loads schools so the toilets were not very clean and i did not see a cleaner untill the monday when all the school kids had gone ( lucky i had the van). Still was was a nice place to stay had space around the van and watching the water sports good .

Paul

Archived