French Diesel Prices

kelly58

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's probably the quoted rate in the papers, you never get any where near that rate, I always find that the best way to pay for Diesel  Foreign is with my Debit card, always a good exchange rate , but now Nationwide have started charging for Foreign use of the card I now have a Post Office Credit Card, [ Mastercard   ] and Foreign transactions are free so I will start to use that when next over there and see what happens.Pay the bill in full each month, Direct Debit and so no charges, we  hope ??

I have a Nationwide Credit Card and because I have held it for a good number of years I do not pay any charges for EU transactions and they convert at the rate on the day which I always find favourable. As regards buyin Euro's I have been told , but never tried them  !! that these " Cash Converter Shops " have a good exchange rate.

I do tend to get a little irritated at the constant references to diesel prices in Britain as opposed to France, although I accept that this thread isn't about that.

I've just been to Spain and to get from Calais to Hendaye on the Spanish border took 123 litres which, at today's price would be €172.

That same journey in Britain would have cost the same in pounds. However, my total price in France was €272 Euro because the toll charges were about €100! 

So, for a journey in France costing about £236, a similar journey in Britain costs £172, an increase of 37% for the French trip!

"Ah, say the apologists for wonderful France, you don't have to travel on the toll roads and we enjoy driving through rural France etc. etc."

The difference is of course that in France you don't have the choice! If, for whatever reason, you want to have the ease of motorway driving, you have to pay.

So we have all these people, who eschew French toll roads and bang on about taking non-toll roads as a lifestyle choice that's nothing to do with money.

But ask them how they got to Dover. Did they wander through the villages of Kent, or take the motorway? Ask them which roads they take to Scotland. Do they go up the A34 through Birmingham, Stoke and Manchester and then the A6 through Preston and Lancaster, or do they get on the free M6 and toodle all the way to Carlisle before taking the free M74? Answers on a very small postcard please!

And, as it happens, fuel prices in the UK are consistently amongst the lowest in Europe, before taxes of course. So British refiners are actually amongst the most competitive of all and the problem is entirely that of various governments who see the motorist as an easy cash cow, as does the French government, they just screw you in a different and much more expensive way.

But you seldom hear the phrase 'Rip off France'!

from newcastle to dover, or scotland , i use the A1 (not a motorway), to go west i use the a38. both are fast direct routes, and the fuel IS expensive, as no matter how competetive our suppliers are i actually have to pay tax on the fuel, france does consistantly have cheaper ffuel (as do most european countries)

and there are relatively direct routes that are not motorways.

i find my nationwide debit card gives me good health insurance, the credit card gives an amount of fee free buying for goods, and for free cash withdrawels i use the Norwich and Peterborough. i'm happy :-D

KeithR - 2012-03-09 3:09 PMfrom newcastle to dover, or scotland , i use the A1 (not a motorway), to go west i use the a38. both are fast direct routes, and the fuel IS expensive, as no matter how competetive our suppliers are i actually have to pay tax on the fuel, france does consistantly have cheaper ffuel (as do most european countries)and there are relatively direct routes that are not motorways.i find my nationwide debit card gives me good health insurance, the credit card gives an amount of fee free buying for goods, and for free cash withdrawels i use the Norwich and Peterborough. i'm happy :-D

I hadn't realised that the A1 goes to Dover! Presumably you then go through central London and the 'A' roads of Sussex and Kent? Or do you pick up a motorway?

Guest pelmetman
francisgraham - 2012-03-09 11:39 AM

Answers on a very small postcard please!

The A roads in France are nowhere near as crowded as ours ;-).................and are a pleasure to drive B-)

francisgraham - 2012-03-09 12:39 PMI do tend to get a little irritated at the constant references to diesel prices in Britain as opposed to France, although I accept that this thread isn't about that.

I've just been to Spain and to get from Calais to Hendaye on the Spanish border took 123 litres which, at today's price would be €172.

That same journey in Britain would have cost the same in pounds. However, my total price in France was €272 Euro because the toll charges were about €100! 

So, for a journey in France costing about £236, a similar journey in Britain costs £172, an increase of 37% for the French trip!

"Ah, say the apologists for wonderful France, you don't have to travel on the toll roads and we enjoy driving through rural France etc. etc."

The difference is of course that in France you don't have the choice! If, for whatever reason, you want to have the ease of motorway driving, you have to pay.

So we have all these people, who eschew French toll roads and bang on about taking non-toll roads as a lifestyle choice that's nothing to do with money.

But ask them how they got to Dover. Did they wander through the villages of Kent, or take the motorway? Ask them which roads they take to Scotland. Do they go up the A34 through Birmingham, Stoke and Manchester and then the A6 through Preston and Lancaster, or do they get on the free M6 and toodle all the way to Carlisle before taking the free M74? Answers on a very small postcard please!

And, as it happens, fuel prices in the UK are consistently amongst the lowest in Europe, before taxes of course. So British refiners are actually amongst the most competitive of all and the problem is entirely that of various governments who see the motorist as an easy cash cow, as does the French government, they just screw you in a different and much more expensive way.

But you seldom hear the phrase 'Rip off France'!

No road tax to add in France and Insurance comes with breakdown cover included and on the whole is generally cheaper here. :D

The route from Hendaye to Calais via non toll roads includes over 600 Km of free Autoroute,(According to viamichelin) not counting the 100's of Km of dual carriageway, remember French road price policy is designed for French consumers. The locals round here would riot if they thought they had to pay an annual fee depending upon the size of their vehicle so that 'Go fasts' could travel down from Paris quicker :-)

Retread24800 - 2012-03-09 6:35 PMThe route from Hendaye to Calais via non toll roads includes over 600 Km of free Autoroute,(According to viamichelin) not counting the 100's of Km of dual carriageway, remember French road price policy is designed for French consumers. The locals round here would riot if they thought they had to pay an annual fee depending upon the size of their vehicle so that 'Go fasts' could travel down from Paris quicker :-)

I had a house in France for some years and know all about French roads! The route to Hendaye avoiding tolls means driving on non-motorway roads for about 260 miles, greater than the distance from where I live to London.

The point that I was making though, was that yes, French diesel may be cheaper (although petrol isn't) but those who must use motorways, businessmen and hauliers for example, end up paying a lot more than we do in the UK and not paying road tax comes nowhere near making up the difference. This is something that most people conveniently forget when whinging about the higher price of diesel in the UK. As I proved, driving almost anywhere on French toll roads ends up costing more than driving in the U.K. where all motorways are free. And yes, I know there's a new toll section on the M6 but you don't have to leave the motorway if you don't want to pay.

I lived in Devon and commuted to Kent, now I had two choices, M4/M5 or A303 Time was about the same, fuel costs less using the 303 and both routes made use of the London Ring road. Your post seemed to infer that all Motorways in France were peage which you should know is a long way from the truth. If you are time constrained use the Peage, if not do not. Me? I'm on Holiday...................

Tiny Tim - 2012-03-09 2:45 PM

The Post Office are giving 1.15 for over £500, otherwise it is about 1.13. I did see an on-line offer the other day of 1.179 for over £400 converted. I will see if I can find it again.

Just looked again and http://www.iceplc.com are quoting 1.168

I always find the PO website quotes one price but when I go to my local PO it is far, far less than they quote. For example, £1 = 1.15 Euros - go to local PO and they say "Oh No, our rate is £1 = 1.03 Euros. Been caught like this a couple of times and had to rush off to the bank for their exchange rate.

Be very careful . . .

One of the best on line sites for currency is the "International Currency Exchange" or ice. Current rate is 1.1710 to the pound. Order by 3pm on a weekday and currency is delivered by Post Office by 1pm following day. Never had any problems.

Tesco finance were giving €1.17 to the £ yesterday, today €1.1653 to the pound. No charges and free next day delivery to your door if over £499.

Check out some of the other online offers and there are charges and/ or postage which actually make the exchange rate less viable even though apparently a better exchange rate.

In our experience travelling in France there is always a free alternative to the motorway, very often running parallel as well as many motorway roads that are free, this cannot be said for the UK roads. And as in most cases sensible drivers don't exceed 60 to 65 mph in a motorhome the travelling difference is not really that great plus the roads off motorway are generally by far less boring. With Diesel being considerably cheaper normally our crossing is paid for by what we save and more.

Bas

Basil - 2012-03-09 9:48 PM   In our experience travelling in France there is always a free alternative to the motorway, very often running parallel as well as many motorway roads that are free, this cannot be said for the UK roads. And as in most cases sensible drivers don't exceed 60 to 65 mph in a motorhome the travelling difference is not really that great plus the roads off motorway are generally by far less boring. With Diesel being considerably cheaper normally our crossing is paid for by what we save and more.Bas

There is 'always' a free alternative to a toll motorway running parallel? In my thirty odd years of motoring in France we must have been in a different, possibly parallel universe!

I've no problem at all if anyone wants to avoid tolls but I really do wish that they'd stop this wishful thinking in order to justify their choice.

Some non-toll routes are a nightmare of towns and endless roundabouts with scenery and views no different from the motorway. And why is that the people with this view somehow have no objection to motorways or fast dual carriageways when they're free?

Travelling to Spain, I can get to Hendaye by motorway and toll roads in two days of very comfortable driving. It's relaxing just cruising along listening to music as opposed to being stuck behind tractors and French codgers in micro cars. Not using tolls takes three days unless I want to drive for much longer each day and risk tiredness and the possible consequences.

So for a holiday in Spain, which I've just had, I save a day each way, so it's two extra days where I want to be. I'm not retired and have a limited time for my holidays. If I was retired perhaps I'd amble down the non-toll routes but for me I'd much rather pay the tolls and get there faster and much more easily.

But, to sum up once again, that's my choice after careful calculation. If you'd rather not pay tolls and have the time and the inclination then that's absolutely fine if it suits you, but please, can we drop this nonsense of how toll motorways don't save you time? If they don't, why are they full of lorries paying large sums of money when they could be on these wonderful parallel routes for nothing?

And so I get back to my original point, that driving in France, despite the slightly cheaper diesel fuel can, for those drivers who who need to use toll roads, be much more expensive than in the U.K.

Francis and Graham. Your posting has a lot of credence but "to being stuck behind tractors and French codgers in micro cars. " is a load of tosh and debases your posting. Do not have your experience but have certainly not come across this situation. You can ruin a good posting with that type of comment

Archived