Combined sat-nav reversing camera

davidmac

The MH I am buying has neither sat-nav or reversing camera.Garmin nuvi1490tv is a sat-nav you can plug a camera into.Has anyone tried one of these?Also, what is the best type of reversing camera for an A class MH. One high up on a bracket, one of the type that you drill a hole in the rear body about 1.2m above road level or the dome type mounted on top of the bumper? What type gives the best view when reversing and any problems when raining getting dirty with spray? Any suggestions on routing the camera cable from back to front would be very much apreciated.

Regards, David

I have one high up the van on a bracket fitted by Vanbitz and use this all the time as a rear view mirror as I can't see behind with the interior mirror. It works fine for me for both distance and reversing. It was about £500 fitted. They also do one with 2 cameras so you can see distance on one and bottom area on other if you prefer.

Would always be a bit wary with one down by the bumper as a slight shunt from behind could take out the camera as well. Also if you are towing anything you won't be able to see anything for the toad.

Mike

Hi David

We have a normal 'portable' Tom Tom sat nav which means we can use it in the car or the camper quite easily.

We also have a camera and 'rear view mirror' type monitor that we got off ebay, which means we can use it when travelling and not just for reversing - this earlier thread gives more info about it:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21250&posts=22

We've just come back home tonight and even in the dark we still had quite a good rear image using the camera so for us it does just what we want it to.

I have a double camera which will automatically give a Bumper view when reversing. I can revert back to the longer view if it is more convenient when reversing. I find this ideal. I can't help you with a satnav solution as I use my smartphone.

Archived