TATY DECALS

motorcampman

Guest pelmetman
I've found a rag soaked in petrol is quite good....................Better add the safety proviso though......... don't smoke whilst you do it :D

I was told to use a hair dryer, which was very slow, so I then tried the electric paint stripper. Much better, but you need to keep it moving, and not get it too close. The adhesive softens and comes away cleanly with the decal, but too much heat begins melting the decal, when it will tear. A bit of practise soon tells you how far to push it. Quite quick and painless once you get the knack.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2012-03-10 7:40 PM

I was told to use a hair dryer, which was very slow, so I then tried the electric paint stripper. Much better, but you need to keep it moving, and not get it too close. The adhesive softens and comes away cleanly with the decal, but too much heat begins melting the decal, when it will tear. A bit of practise soon tells you how far to push it. Quite quick and painless once you get the knack.

That gets rid of the main part of the vinyl Brian but the residue left by the adhesive I've found petrol works best ;-)..............based on the experience of taking the lettering of several vans :D

There is a specific product for this but petrol works just as well.  As long as the decals are intact the hairdryer method is good as long as you take your time but the electric paint stripper is not recommended.  Like Brian says it gets very hot and can cause more problems hence the trade do not go down this route.

In your case where the vinyl is already off and the adhesive residue is left behind then petrol is the way to go......thoroughly washed down and re-polish the area afterwards if you are not replacing the decals.  If you are replacing then just wash down and do not polish because the decal will not adhere properly.

Caddies104 - 2012-03-20 12:24 PM

bob b - 2012-03-14 9:14 PM

As petrol is one of the most volatile explosives known to man, don't use the petrol in conjunction with the hot air gun !

Now you tell us where's that extinguisher???

He's over on chatterbox :-D

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived