Lovely weather this weekend - been anywhere?

I note from your location that you are in the deep south. Up here in the frozen north although the temperature gauge says 11 degrees the wind makes it feel b....y cold, so hiding inside and will think about doing something serious when it warms up a bit.

On the bright side, we have no drought to worry about, the water is coming out of our ears.

Guest pelmetman
Well this will please FG :D..............I've been at work 8-).........as I was laid up for most of this week with a bad back *-)...................I think I caught a virus from IPS's post :D...................So that's nearly 3 weeks of PROPER WORK this year 8-).........................I need a holiday :D

We set off this morning to a car boot sale, then on to Withernsea and had a nice potter on the beach with the 'hairy monsters' who really enjoyed themselves running around and paddling/swimming, and we enjoyed going round the market and various shops. Then we had a nice ham sarnie for lunch after which we travelled up to Hornsea and stopped in the carpark behind the boat yard where the dogs had a nice run around on the large field next to it.

We were all set to stop overnight but the temperature dropped quite a bit and as I was quite tired and had tripped earlier and bashed my hand and knee :$ .... on my flipping birthday no less ... :-( plus Romy's tummy was a bit upset (don't ask how we knew that ... ! *-) ), instead we had a lovely fish and chip supper - the best we've had for a long time - then came home and I'm currently sitting in front of the nice warm fire watching telly whilst playing on the forum. :-D

Yes, we've had a lovely weekend in Skipton. We got our boots on and enjoyed lovely walks here and there, round the Castle & through the woods.

It's a super little Market Town, really bustling but plenty of places for whatever takes your fancy. Much enjoyed as ever.

I'll never understand this "season" business of using your van for X months of the year, but each to their own as ever.

Martyn

Hi all..

Sorry we were a bit boring, went and did a tidy up in the garden, like mowing and weeding, then we went in the Van and got it ready for our trip at the end of month..... Just getting over knee operation so not done much Motorhoming of late..

Weather is really nice though... 14*C

Derek & Pauline

Fabulous day here in sunny Southampton.went to two local carboots this morning, arrived at the first at 8-30 am in the mist, the sun broke through about 9-30 am and it has been really warm and  sunny since, arrived back home about 2pm and got the Barbi out of the Garage intending to give it a clean, after removing all the dust  and cleaning all the fluffy stuff  off the  grill plates that grew over Winter we fired it up to sterilise it and then had a Sausage sizzle  with lots of burnt onions  and a  bit of steak and a few lamb chops,  a bottle of  white and a bottle  of red and that was that, super, sat in the garden in the sun and   relaxed, it's now 5pm and still warm and sunny in the garden, a great relaxing day.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Stayed at a fab CS site near Telford in the Midlands, then went to Blists Hill Victorian town, what a gem of a living museum, so impressed with being able to go back to life in the early part of the 1900's. Highly recommended to all and ideal for anyone visiting Dave Newall for work to be carried out on your vehicle, thanks to Jackie Newall for the idea of a perfect way to spend a day ( or a few ) and Dave as well for a job well done and highly recommended.

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/our_attractions/blists_hill_victorian_town/

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2012-03-11 5:21 PM

Stayed at a fab CS site near Telford in the Midlands, then went to Blists Hill Victorian town, what a gem of a living museum, so impressed with being able to go back to life in the early part of the 1900's. Highly recommended to all and ideal for anyone visiting Dave Newall for work to be carried out on your vehicle, thanks to Jackie Newall for the idea of a perfect way to spend a day ( or a few ) and Dave as well for a job well done and highly recommended.

Yep agree Blists hill is fascinating ;-)..............been there twice....... whilst Dave's been servicing Horace :D

Thanks for the kind comments, Blist's Hill and the rest of the Ironbridge Gorge Museums are a fantastic way to spend some R&R time learning about our heritage. Only one small correction though, it's NewEll not NewAll, a commonly made mistake.

D.

In Edit: its not a CS site, its a privately owned site but only has 10 touring pitches, all fully serviced. Adults only, pets welcome but not children.

Would have loved to go away for the weekend as we've not had a weekend off since New Year but J was working yesterday (her other job) and I was working yesterday and even had to go in for about four hours today. Walked home via two very good real ale pubs though so its not all bad :D

D.

LordThornber - 2012-03-11 2:38 PM

I'll never understand this "season" business of using your van for X months of the year, but each to their own as ever.

Martyn

We do try to use ours for day trips during the winter, but because of its vintage, it is not really warm enough to sleep in all year round - shame - because we love using it. Next weekend we're off to the eels foot CL somewhere near Minsmere, that will be our first overnight since boxing day.

Had to pop to the supermarket briefly this morning, its funny how the first sunny day brings all the campervans out. I saw loads today, really old ones, expensive looking ones, traditional vw's etc etc I was really envious and wished I was out in ours

;-) :-)

Guest pelmetman
josie gibblebucket - 2012-03-11 8:35 PM

We do try to use ours for day trips during the winter, but because of its vintage, it is not really warm enough to sleep in all year round - shame - because we love using it. Next weekend we're off to the eels foot CL somewhere near Minsmere, that will be our first overnight since boxing day.

Had to pop to the supermarket briefly this morning, its funny how the first sunny day brings all the campervans out. I saw loads today, really old ones, expensive looking ones, traditional vw's etc etc I was really envious and wished I was out in ours

;-) :-)

Eel's Foot CL is that the one with a pub not far from Woodbridge?...........If so we went there years ago and it was great as they did nice food with folk music when we went there B-)............it was packed with a lot more than 5 vans :D

Guest peter
Mel B - 2012-03-10 10:29 PM

We set off this morning to a car boot sale, then on to Withernsea and had a nice potter on the beach with the 'hairy monsters' who really enjoyed themselves running around and paddling/swimming, and sh1tting all over the beach

Glad you had a good time Mel. You can thank me for bringing the sun back with me from spain on thursday.

I hope FG doesn't spot that you took your dogs on the beach. :D

We too was very boring and got our garden tidied up. Cleared all the leaves and weeded all the flower beds. Put down rose food and then sat in the sun with a beer to admire all our hard work.

Out in the motorhome on 24th for a long weekend at Chatsworth which will be our first trip out since our New Year in Lincoln. We are hoping for warm weather.

Her and I went for a ride on our motorbikes. Down through Bournemouth and crossed on the chain fery to Swanage for a light lunch. Then back cross country through Poole Quay (very prety) and finally back home to New Milton. 66 miles. So her bike has now done a total of 71 miles! Hill starts much improved. Camper goes out in a couple of weeks.

C.

Dave Newell - 2012-03-11 7:29 PM

Only one small correction though, it's NewEll not NewAll, a commonly made mistake.

D.

Dave, think yourself lucky that you got off lightly, he could have started your surname with No..... :D :D

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2012-03-12 5:45 PM

Dave Newell - 2012-03-11 7:29 PM

Only one small correction though, it's NewEll not NewAll, a commonly made mistake.

D.

Dave, think yourself lucky that you got off lightly, he could have started your surname with No..... :D :D

Dave

Its been done often enough mate, over the years its been mis-spelt as newall (most common mistake), nowall, knowall, knowell, newhall and even nennett (never did figure that one out). I only bothered to correct it in case anyone tried to google search for my website, "newell" would find it instantly while "newall" wouldn't.

D.

maggyd - 2012-03-10 10:06 PM

Its been a lovely day here in the N.E and when driving past the race course at Thirsk we notice a lot of motorhomes in the camping area, we were wondering if it was a M.H meet.

We were there - our first C&CC MH section rally - and it was like a summer's rally during the day. Nice toddle into Thirsk, pub lunch on Sunday, clubhouse open each night, then left just after 2pm on Monday to go to Autogas in Carlton Minniott to have refillable gas bottles fitted.

Have to say it was quite chilly overnight, mind!

There were over 60 vans attending, so a lot of like-minded people.

Archived