How many people to drive a Fork Lift Truck

kelly58

My son a builder went to the B&Q Trade Counter Friday at Peterborough for 2 x 1 ton bags of sand and 20 bags of cement he had parked his lorry at the side of the sand bags , the counter assistant said he could not have them as there was not enough people to drive the Fork Lift Truck , my son thought he was taking the P and asked how many people did it take to drive the truck ? 5 was the answer !! how doe's that work out then ? he asked " Its the new Health and Safety Rules " by this time my son was getting impatient as he had men waiting on site for the materials and asked for the manager to come immediately to sort this fiasco out. When he came he then tannoyed some staff to come to the trade counter  with their safety gear on . Along came 5 staff all in Hi-Vis one drove the Fork Lift and the other 4 formed a corden around the operating Fork Lift for safety reasons . You just could not make it up !! My son wasted over 1 hour whilst all this went on.

I have a trade card with B&Q's trade point and I agree with B&Q's policy because some of B&Q's customers are so stupid, ignoring the reversing beep of the stacker truck, walking underneath the stacker trucks suspended load and/or ignoring the rope barrier when an isle has been roped off while a stacker driver is loading up the top decks, this policy was brought in at my local B&Q when an idiot of a customer was badly hurt after ignoring safety barriers.

On the other side of the coin many years ago when I was clearing a factory that we were relocating I slipped when operating a hand held truck one evening on my own and ran over my own foot. Painful but fortunately no lasting damage.

Last week I was about to stand on a trolly in B & Q to enable me to reach something when my wife stopped me and brought me one of the stores low safety platforms to use. As soon as I stood on it a member of staff appeared and told me customers were not allowed to use it due to H & S policy. At least he did it politely and got the items down for.

These OTT policies are only introduced as a direct result of people (and their parasite lawyers) clobbering such Companies with gazillion-pound law suits after the idiots have injured themselves doing something stupid whilst on the Companies premises.

The Company could be bankrupted by the costs of a few more of those claims - so they are forced to opt for the lesser evil: that of treating every customer as an uttter idiot, just to be on the safe side. Costs of doing so are massive. But nowhere near as massive as having a litany of no-win-no-fee legal claims to defend in High courts.

In truth, what would you do if knocked down by a lad driving an FLT in a B & Q store?

I reckon that almost every one of us would actually sue for all we could get out of it.....on the basis that they've got big pockets and we could make tens of thousands of quid out of it.

So we are in reality all becoming victims of our own avarice.

Guest pelmetman

If I fall off a ladder its my fault..............If I had an employee and he fell off a ladder...........It would be my fault *-)

You have to be self employed to be an idiot now days (lol) (lol) (lol)

(^) I've just thought of something 8-) It could work and save the country and all the companies plus everyone who has a car or motorhome, billions of pounds in fuel costs. It would take everyone off the dole. So huge fuel savings and zero unemployment, no vehicle insurance needed. The list goes on :-D

We could employ people to walk in front of us with a waving a 'Red Flag' (Similar to here on the forum) and not to exceed 3mph. They must work to EU Tacho rules.

There, all our problems solved, also at that speed everyone over 100 could keep their licences unless they eat red meat (they will not reach that age) no A frames needed.

Hello.......Hello.......anyone listening? :D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-03-18 9:15 PM

pelmetman - 2012-03-18 5:23 PM

You have to be self employed to be an idiot now days (lol) (lol) (lol)

Hello idiot :D :D

At least I'm a qualified idiot ;-)....................and when I grow up I hope to be a complete idiot :D.............then I can run the country :-D

Archived