Stellplatz or camp site West of Koln

Losos

Can anyone recommend a good stellplatz or camp site to the West of Koln (Cologne)

Somewhere around Elsdorf, Kerpen, Bergheim or even a bit to the South e.g. Erfstadt, Bruhl, Hurth.

Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks. 

Hi, you probably already know that there is a Stelplatz in Cologne, it is a super location right on the river, my Bord Atlas is outside in the van so I can't help with your question at the moment, but in case you are unaware of the Bord Atlas it is invaluable for travel in Germany or any other Country for that matter.

A site we have used which is to the south of Koln, in Rodenkirchen is http://www.camping-berger-koeln.de/english/camping_berger_home.html

Right on the river, a busstop about 10 minutes walk away, or alternatively a cycle path all the way into the centre along the Rhine. We've done that a few times, even in winter for the Xmas markets! It's about 7km from the centre.

Ina.

Viniboy and Ina, I have to get the Bord Atlas every one recommends it and Ina I'm just off to look up that link. Thanks to both of you.

Edit to add:-

Ina, just had a look, that will be perfect, I know that bridge over the Rhein, once was parked in the middle due to traffic jam ahead, the only time in my entire life I haven't cursed, the view was magnificant :-)

Guest JudgeMental

Do you have your green environmental sticker?

Life is much easier if you upload the Aires/stellenplatz POI to a sat nav unit...

Losos - 2012-03-12 1:17 PMEdit to add:-

Ina, just had a look, that will be perfect, I know that bridge over the Rhein, once was parked in the middle due to traffic jam ahead, the only time in my entire life I haven't cursed, the view was magnificant :-)

Just to say that we've only ever stayed there in December, never in summertime. The site is very convenient for getting into the centre, but some of the pitches are a bit scruffy, for want of a better word, or at least they are in winter. There are some hardstandings. A lot of the pitches are by the river, and it is nice watching the boats go by, it is a very busy river, of course that does mean some noise from the boats, but there is no railway at least on that stretch! The toiletblock is lovely though, absolutely luxurious, with the best shower heads I've ever come across. On second thoughts, I think that is the "winter" block, so I don't know what the "summer" block is like, as we've only ever been in winter for the Xmas markets.Ina.

Guest JudgeMental
Losos - 2012-03-12 8:57 PM
JudgeMental - 2012-03-12 4:18 PMDo you have your green environmental sticker?

Oh heck, what's that then ????? is it something new????

here is the first link I found,, you can buy the sticker before you go, BUT! look in search facility for best place to buy it as there are some robbing so and so's operating a scam....if not Euro 4 not sure what the situation is but you can get around it by staying out of City.http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/englis_informations.php

No need to worry about getting the 'umwelt plakette' before you go. Just pull into a TUV (MOT) station and present your vehicle documents (V5C). They will be able to supply a green Umwelt sticker for your vehicle in a few minutes.

There is also a campsite here http://g.co/maps/v24gf (Green Arrow) which we have used a couple of times.

Guest JudgeMental
some of these German sites can be worse the CC (if that is possible!) for rules and regulations...I was even told of on one site near lake Constance, for using wrong door into reception.. *-)

Thank you all for advice on the 'green sticker' thingy, my vehicle is (I think) Euro V compliant, I will check that of course, and next trip will not go into cities but the one after that I will so best to get it, and musn't forget the French breathlyser thingy as well, so much red tape now just to drive from A to B but thanks again all of you.

Archived