Funerals or not

Dr Dave

Dr Dave - 2012-03-11 8:22 PM

If someone (an atheist) wanted to be cremated without the pomp of a normal funeral how could this be done . Gloomy conundrum i know but one i may need to face shortly any advice welcome.

I would suggest that you have a chat with local funeral directors about what is available these days.

After a recent family funeral I was told that the directors were very helpful explaining various options, although I wasn't involved in the arrangements myself, so can't tell you more than that.

:-|

As far as I'm aware, you will probably still need the services of a funeral director, but the actual cremation service itself is conducted however you want - you don't have to have a religious ceremony at all and it can be as long, or as short, as you wish.

You don't have to have hymns ,. My Sister-in-law died last may , and the service was a commemoration of her life. She had a coffin of Banana skins, and music by Fats Waller (Her Favourite) and "My Way" Frank Sinatra. It was not a sad occasion, as stated a look back (for want of a better word) of her life. As she had Dementia for 10 years , it was a happy relief . i think the service showed that.

You do need undertakers, but they understand that , not every one is religious. It can be a very sad time, but usually it is , a relief from pain , therefore a blessing

PJay

Dr Dave - 2012-03-11 8:22 PM

If someone (an atheist) wanted to be cremated without the pomp of a normal funeral how could this be done . Gloomy conundrum i know but one i may need to face shortly any advice welcome.

According to my oncologist I might be needing the services of an undertaker within the next 18 months, one thing is for sure, I want the cheapest possible "do" I am not spending good money to see me off.

My dad did it, he found out the funeral directors had a transit van for transporting coffins.

He pre arranged the lot, cardboard coffin, no hearse , no service, no one present. They took him to the crem, did the business and we picked his ashes up after he had chilled out later that day. Then threw them over the cliffs at Filey where we had spent many a happy hour fishing. :-D :-D

Then went for a meal in the evening, we got wet through on the top of the cliffs then it snowed while having the meal, he would have been laughing his head of at us. All in all a wonderful day and just want he wanted. :-D

Mandy

Humanist funeral a few years ago after a very good friend sadly died, he was totally non religious so his family contacted the Humanist Society. It was a fantastic review of his life with no awful dirges playing or choirs warbling. His favourite music was played, The ride of the Valkyries, rather loudly too.

When I go I'd like something similar but hopefully it won't be for a good few years yet..

D.

My father in law had his body donated for medical research in Nottingham, so he had gone away the same day he died he had been awarded a gold badge as a blood donor and wanted to carry on helping medicine after his death. We just had small service of remberence to honour his life .

Dave Newell - 2012-03-12 7:06 AM

Humanist funeral a few years ago after a very good friend sadly died, he was totally non religious so his family contacted the Humanist Society. It was a fantastic review of his life with no awful dirges playing or choirs warbling. His favourite music was played, The ride of the Valkyries, rather loudly too.

When I go I'd like something similar but hopefully it won't be for a good few years yet..

D.

I was also impressed by a Humanist funeral that I attended a couple of years ago. They too went to the trouble of finding out about the life of the deceased and gave a very good, and sometimes humourous account of her life.

She also had one or two of her favourite records played.

Guest pelmetman

As a devout atheist I have contemplated what music I'd like when I'm BBQ'd........... eventually ;-)..........

I can't make up my mind whether to have the "Entrance of the Gladiators" or the Benny Hill theme played as I'm carried in :D..............................I also quite fancy having a mobile phone in the box with me........and getting someone to ring during the service :D.............Possibly with a tape of me answering (lol)

Other tunes would be Monty Pythons "always look on the bright side of life".................and as the curtains close.........."Fire" >:-)

pelmetman - 2012-03-12 9:03 AM

As a devout atheist I have contemplated what music I'd like when I'm BBQ'd........... eventually ;-)..........

I can't make up my mind whether to have the "Entrance of the Gladiators" or the Benny Hill theme played as I'm carried in :D..............................I also quite fancy having a mobile phone in the box with me........and getting someone to ring during the service :D.............Possibly with a tape of me answering (lol)

Other tunes would be Monty Pythons "always look on the bright side of life".................and as the curtains close.........."Fire" >:-)

I would like "I want to break free"! :D

We went to a non-religious cremation a few years ago and they played "Always look on the bright side of life" as that was the deceased's favourite tune - it was great and had everyone crying their eyes out - with tears of laughter! :-S

Guest pelmetman
gwyn - 2012-03-14 9:47 PM

you can have a woodland ceremony which can be totally non religous, ecologically good and if one can use the term, a lovely ceremony

Just down the road from us they have one of those green burial sites.............it seem's to becoming more and more popular.

I can't say I fancy being buried............the worms have had enough of my veg over the years *-)............they're not having me as well :D.....................

Nope...... a nice barbie will suit me fine ;-)

Archived