Ducato wheels

griffo5

The steel wheels on my Autotrail Tracker are getting a litttle rusty and will cost getting on for £80 apiece to chemical clean and powder coat, so I was thinking it might not cost much more for some alloys. They would however need to take my existing (new) tyres and be good quality and not too flash. Any recommendations anybody ?

Guest peter
Powder coating wheels is a bit OTT. Why not just rub them down and aerosol spray them with wheel paint. It won't matter if you get paint on the tyres, just paint them afterwards with tyre blacking. Cost = £10 for all 4 wheels.

There are numerous suppliers if you google "Alloy Wheels Fiat Ducato" (without the quotes)

But unless 2nd hand a set will be upwards of £400 for 4 then you still have the spare to sort , as bolts are different.

A 16" set on e-bay complete with tyres for £599

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-ducato-alloy-wheels-tyres-215-75-16-original-fiat-refurbished-new-tyres-/160751735607?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item256d8cd337

Have to agree with Peter.

I do not think powder coating would be very durable only need a little chip allowing moisture under the coating and it will flake off.

If you want them done professionally get the tyres taken off and have then shot blasted before getting a paint shop to spray them.

griffo5 - 2012-03-11 9:16 PM

The steel wheels on my Autotrail Tracker are getting a litttle rusty and will cost getting on for £80 apiece to chemical clean and powder coat, so I was thinking it might not cost much more for some alloys. They would however need to take my existing (new) tyres and be good quality and not too flash. Any recommendations anybody ?

How much for new steel wheels?

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-12 11:49 AM

How much for new steel wheels?

....as is usual, eBay is your friend. Brand new, £51 delivered from Germany (15" or 16").

As it says, removed from new vehicle to be replaced with alloys.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Steel-Wheel-rims-Fiat-Ducato-16-inch-/220946169990?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item33716b0086

I'm sure there are other sources on eBay as well, but this provides a good example for pristine wheels.

Beware of cheap alloys there cheap for a reason.

IMO your better getting em re-sprayed and buying some decent quality trims or if you must then get alloys but dont get cheap uns and stay away form anything diamond cut.

flicka - 2012-03-11 9:59 PM

There are numerous suppliers if you google "Alloy Wheels Fiat Ducato" (without the quotes)

But unless 2nd hand a set will be upwards of £400 for 4 then you still have the spare to sort , as bolts are different.

A 16" set on e-bay complete with tyres for £599

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-ducato-alloy-wheels-tyres-215-75-16-original-fiat-refurbished-new-tyres-/160751735607?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item256d8cd337

Many alloy wheels are interchangeable and can be used with existing tyres. The bolts are the same- at least they are on mine. I have a steel spare as do most people with alloy wheels.

I'm a rusty wheeler too!

I don't want alloys or new wheels and wonder whether wheel trims would be a solution. Are X250 wheels a standard size that trims would be available for from the likes of Halfords? Is there a practical reason that would make trims a poor choice?

The rim on my spare is also in pretty bad nick. Thinking of buying a used rim, giving it a rub down and spraying it myself as suggested here. As I’m also due for 2 new front tyres I was going to ask the fitter to put the existing spare onto the refurbished rim while he was at it.

What I need to be sure about though is that I get the correct size rim. I know the tyre size, but is there any other information that I should be aware of that I should get off the existing rim just to make sure I’m getting an identical replacement?

Mike88 - 2012-03-12 6:59 PM

Many alloy wheels are interchangeable and can be used with existing tyres. The bolts are the same- at least they are on mine. I have a steel spare as do most people with alloy wheels.

The bolts are not the same the chamfer angle on the head of the bolt is a different angle you should never use bolts for steel wheels on alloys.

Archived