Bicycle Carrier - Hymer B584

yydelilah

Hi - I'm new to campervans and my 2001 Hymer B584 is new to me, so I'm in the process of trying to fit a 2-bike rack to the rear of it.

I've been told by a retailer that Omni-bike do a rack specifically for the Hymer that hangs off the factory-installed mounting points just above the rear window (Thule Omni-bike elite HH).

I've also been told that the two bottom fixing points can be attached to a metal plate that runs horizontally across the back of the rear panel. I've checked with a magnet and there is such a metal strip (about 100mm wide and 700mm long) just about where the lower bike rack mounts will be located.

My question is: has anyone had any experience fitting a bike rack to a similar Hymer and if so, did they use this same metal strip to fix the lower points, and if they did, how did they attach the lower mounts to this strip because the fitting instructions seem to indicate that you are supposed to drill right though the back panel and use bolts and a backing plate to secure the lower mounts.

That's going to be difficult with a rear kitchen van. :-S

We have an 56 Hymer B544 and it already had the top and bottom fittings in place direct from the factory as we have the shower and wardrobe at the back. We bought our rack from Fiamma. It may be worth looking at theirs because they do racks for specific Hymers.

I am thinking that if you only have the top brackets already fitted it may be that you need the rack that has 2 rubber suction pads at the bottom that will fit where your re-inforcing strip is.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-caravan-and-motorhome-Bike-Carriers-and-cycle-racks

Hope this helps

Hi. Our Hymer has a rack fitted in the way you describe, it is an OMNI - BIKE + , 50kg capacity. The bottom tube is attached to a 38cm right angle aluminium strip, which is bolted through the back panel just above the plastic bumper assembly,with two bolts, 33cm apart on ours. The nuts can be accessed from the inside under the sinks, the right-hand one is a bit tricky as it is close to the pipes and the bathroom wall. I added a reinforcing strip of steel across the inside of the back panel, as I wanted to carry an urban bike, plus a heavier electric bike.

Brian B.

Archived