Warranty work Brownhills

darcywick

Since the closure of Brownhills Swindon I have had to make a 350 mile round trip to Newark for work on my Carado.

I have recently had to visit Newark to have a new Haitation door fitted under warranty. This could not be completed as the graphics supplied by Hymer were faulty.

New graphics have now been supplied by Hymer and I am expected to take the van to Newark to have them fitted. Neither Brownhills or Hymer are prepared to refund my fuel costs for a visit which is not of my making. Hymer have suggested the parts could be fitted on my next regular visit but I have pointed ut that with a 350 mile round trip to Newark I shall be using a local dealer for my servicing.

Have any members of the forum experienced such problems or have any ideas for a solution?

If you are confident, and the graphics not complex, you could get Brownhills to post you the graphics and DIY. An alternative to DIY would be to source someone local to you who is good with vehicle graphics, and see how much they would charge to apply only. Your final solution is the one you don't like (reasonably) and take the van to BH.

It is as likely BH ordered the wrong graphics as that Carado supplied it. If you tried suing BH under consumer legislation, rather than relying on the warranty, their defence would doubtless be that they were the victim of someone else's error, over which they have no control. You might get at least some of your costs reimbursed, but you'd have to talk to Trading Standards to establish your chances. Talk to them by contacting Consumer Direct. Look carefully at you warranty to see if it excludes incidental costs - all I have ever read do, but you never know! Warranty work is defined by exactly what the warranty says, the concept of reasonableness does not apply. Interpretation is the right of the warrantor: it is not a level playing field if the interpretation is unreasonable.

darcywick - 2012-03-12 11:43 AM

Since the closure of Brownhills Swindon I have had to make a 350 mile round trip to Newark for work on my Carado.

I have recently had to visit Newark to have a new Haitation door fitted under warranty. This could not be completed as the graphics supplied by Hymer were faulty.

New graphics have now been supplied by Hymer and I am expected to take the van to Newark to have them fitted. Neither Brownhills or Hymer are prepared to refund my fuel costs for a visit which is not of my making. Hymer have suggested the parts could be fitted on my next regular visit but I have pointed ut that with a 350 mile round trip to Newark I shall be using a local dealer for my servicing.

Have any members of the forum experienced such problems or have any ideas for a solution?

Hi,

I bought my van from Brownhills Swindon, mine was a used Autocruise, bought in Sept 2010,

luckily my warranty problems all occured before they closed the Swindon branch, and my treatment by them (swindon) was good, but i had no notification of the closure and on getting an 'unobtainable' tone trying to ring them. I then rang Newark and was told that all dealings were now to be through them. I explained that they were now a 500 mile round trip, just for a service !! They made NO concessions to the fact that THEY had moved away from me....not the other way around.

'The Biggest Dealer in Europe' are now nothing of the kind (if they ever were).

Not very happy with them, and wouldn't deal with them again. Ray

Thanks for your reply Brian.

The graphics supplied by Hymer were the correct ones but when applied were found to be faulty, noted by the Brownhills engineer.

Brownhills say that only the Hymer agent is permitted to fit parts under warranty and therefore I would have to visit them for fitting.

Failing this the parts will be returned to Hymer Germany.

I have emailed Hymer about the refund or supplying the parts to me, they have been good with their responses before. I will keep fingers crossed

Hello, what might be of help to you is that Hymer have appointed some new dealers in the last couple of months and will be appointing one in the South East in the next few weeks. We spoke to one company, in Telford, which had been appointed and they said they would be doing warranty, habitation, damp tests etc.

We also found it difficult when Canterbury closed and then Swindon. We have a damp test due in the next few months and hope a S.E. agent will be appointed by then.

Mamie

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-12 12:07 PM

An alternative to DIY would be to source someone local to you who is good with vehicle graphics, and see how much they would charge to apply only.

Would Hymer or BH stand the labour costs? Doubtful but worth a phone call and easiest solution.

Dave

darcywick - 2012-03-12 12:35 PM....................Brownhills say that only the Hymer agent is permitted to fit parts under warranty and therefore I would have to visit them for fitting.

Failing this the parts will be returned to Hymer Germany..............................

That is very restrictive for a purely cosmetic element. For body parts etc I can understand - but for decal transfers?

I think I'd challenge what BH are telling you direct with Hymer. Application is not that difficult, unless there is some multi-layer build-up with no positioning guides. I have now done this a couple of times and can give some guidance on how it works.

Since the distance to BH is unreasonable, why not ask Hymer to let you know who the new dealers are, and to agree that you can instead use a more conveniantly located one of those? After all, it does seem to be Hymer/Carado who caused the problem. They should take responsibility for their mess.

You could try e-mailing Hymer at their headquarters in Bad Waldsee. I did that last year and got a prompt and helpful response from Brownhills in return.

I sympathise with you about travel distances but I found it easier to take my Van to southern Germany rather than Preston !! At least I knew they would have the right parts.

Hymer current dealers (from their website)

http://www.hymer.com/cms/en/service1/dealers/Suche.html&country=GB

Brownhills Motorhomes (Newcastle) Ltd. Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1AN

Brownhills North East, County Durham DH3 2QZ

Brownhills Motorhomes (Newark) Ltd. Newark NG24 2EA

Highbridge Caravan Centre Ltd Somerset TA9 4EX

Travelworld Telford Shropshire TF7 4QR

So still nothing very close for Darcywick :-(

Archived