Tyron Bands

HymerVan

If you want them as a safety feature in case of a blowout while driving, so that you can retain control until you have stopped - which is what they are for - OK.

Tyreseal will reduce the risk of puncture from small items (nails etc) penetrating the tread. However, it will be of little use in the case of side-wall cuts, blowouts due to age, underinflation, or striking objects on the road, and should you have this kind of misfortune, it will do nothing to help you retain control. It does not do the same job.

If you want either because your van has no spare wheel, I would say possibly Tyreseal, because it reduces one kind of risk, but carrying a spare would be more beneficial overall.

I have had them on all my recent caravans. The main reason is in the hope that if I had a tyre failure they might prevent the tyre shreading and causing lots of damage to the wheel arches and equipment beyond which often happens in such circumstances. Despite experiencing a high speed puncture in my car just before Christmas on the M40 I have not considered fitting them to the car. I suppose I would use the same logic if I had a motorhome. The Tyrons would only give you fairly limited run flat capability. Better to have a useable spare wheel and make sure tyres are replaced before they start to cause problems.

David

About a dozen years ago I attended a Tyron band demonstration day at Silverstone race circuit and my report was published in MMM.

In essence all wheels have a well to allow the tyre bead to drop into during fitting and removal. Unfortunatly it also allows a suddenly deflated tyre to come off the rim so the wheel rim touches the road giving very low levels of grip in a straight line. Hard cornering can dig the rim into tarmac and make the vehicle trip over its wheel. The tyron band is in effect a very large jubilee clipthat fills the well so the tyre stays on the rim

Several vehicles and caravans were involved in the demonstration.This is an extract involving an LDV Convoy 3500kg GVW van of a comparable mass to many motorcaravans.

Both the cars we had seen so far are amongst the most sophisticated vehicles on the road but a cab driver from the eighteenth century would have no trouble recognising the suspension of the next performer, that classic workhorse the LDV Convoy. Beam axles and leaf springs all the way round is the well tried recipe. Anything nasty that is happening to the wheel on one side is directly transmitted to the one on the other.

Still fitted with the flat and battered front tyre from the previous day’s demonstration the LDV minibus was loaded with brave volunteers from the assembled press and trundled up and down at about 50 mph with the driver making no great effort at the wheel. After a few runs to show that stability was little affected a long series of full lock figure-of-eights were conducted at low speed but with enough power to bend the inflated tyre. The flat tyre stayed put showing the vehicle retained a high degree of mobility. Again despite the fact that the sidewall had torn radialy in many places the terribly abused tyre was only just warm.

Extract end.

The main advantage is retention of control after sudden deflation and then the abilty to drive to a place of safety for wheel changing

The only snags really are a minor increase in weight and a bit of fiddling when tyres are renewed and posible problems with balancing the wheels.

Many years ago we had them fitted to a caravan which suffered a tyre blow on a brand new Dunlop tyre at 60mph on a motorway in the early hours of the morning. The band did just what it says on the box enabling me to safely bring the outfit to a stop on the hard shoulder.

Don't get me started on the problems we had getting the spare out of the holder from underneath the van!!

Archived