legoland Windsor

wallace m

Hi were planning on visiting Legoland Windsor during the summer.Were taking the ferry from Ireland to Wales.Can anyone recommend any good campsites along the way and around Windsor as this will be our first visit to the UK.If anoyone can give us a review of Legoland that would be helpfull.

Cheers ;-)

Dont know about campsites but I have been twice with grandchildren.Like many other theme parks it is expensive,we have used necter points to pay for entry.Food is very pricey and not very good quality.Depending on the day you go you might have to queue for rides and on some you get squirted with water which is ok if it is hot ,but not so good if the weather is poor.Just my thoughts if you go I hope you enjoy it.Just thought my grandchildren are boys,and would have stood and watched the model vilage with its trains and boats for hours at a time.

Regards David

Hi Wallace.

not sure if you want to just visit Legoland or your looking to visit others as well.

if you stayed at Chertsey CCC site you would have:

Legoland 25 mins

Thorpe park 10 mins

Chesssington world of adventures 20 mins.

not sure if your bringing kids or what age they are as the other 2 places might be better if you have older kids

Have a look at Amerden Camping & Caravan Site in Dawney.

It's probably the closest site to Windsor.

We have stayed there before and it is very pleasent.

Best local pub is The Pineapple.

Be warned the site is by Dawney Lake, which is hosting olympic events and the surrounding area will be very busy in July/August.

Easy access to the site from the M4.

Taplow railway station is walking distance away. You can get quick direct trains to Paddington and Oxford. Trains don't run from there on Sundays although Burnham is nearby.

Andy

mini ips lives in windsor very very close to legoland (in fact as long as my back is up to it were going this weekend) luckily we park up at mini ips's however we have checked out the sites localy and stayed at this one in old windsor "Newtonside orchard" its about 3m from legoland. Was ok and very handy for windsor itself. Dont think there are any other sites in windsor if there are then they are well hidden and not advertised cos we aint seen em.

Hi, Don't know what size MH you run but remember the congestion zone is vertually out to the M25 now and if you're not compliant it will cost you £200 per day and that's an awful lot of ice cream even at Legoland prices!

No congestion charge to get to Windsor via m4 which Will be the route OP Will take. Incidentally i seem to remember reading somewere that lego land coach park can be used for a semi wild night stop might be worth checking if this is still the case

Merle - 2012-03-13 4:56 PM

Hi, Don't what size MH you run but remember the congestion zone is vertually out to the M25 now and if you're not compliant it will cost you £200 per day and that's an awful lot of ice cream even at Legoland prices!

they should be ok with the congestion charge, but be careful with the LEZ if you drive an older van the LEZ is the one that comes a long way out

No congestion charge to get to Windsor via m4 which Will be the route OP Will take. Incidentally i seem to remember reading somewere that lego land coach park can be used for a semi wild night stop might be worth checking if this is still the case

Agreed, but one suggestion was foe the site at Chertsey and that is inside the M25 and very close to, if not inside the new extended zone. Just a note of caution

Merle - 2012-03-13 7:00 PM

Agreed, but one suggestion was foe the site at Chertsey and that is inside the M25 and very close to, if not inside the new extended zone. Just a note of caution

Chertsey is well of clear of the congestion charge zone, so no need to worry

Chertsey is well of clear of the congestion charge zone, so no need to worry

-----

Cheers

Dawki

Sorry, I meant the LEZ. I must say I hadn't realised it loops so far in around Chertsey, what with it coming virtually out to the M25 on the M4. Thanks for puting me right

Just a thought, but if you are not driving a 'normal' looking motorhome, then you must check in advance that the campsites near Windsor will actually accept you. I used to drive a converted panel van, with roof lights, fully converted interior but no additional windows (and yes, it was great!), and was turned away from Hurley Riverside Park and another one up the road. This was after booking in advance, driving nearly 200 miles and arriving fairly late in the day. They didn't care, just refused to let us in.

Despite the comments about the cost, Legoland is actually quite amazing.. don't forget to take your camera, and spare camera batteries as well. Then you just have to pray for good weather!

Hi all thanks for all your good advice.Our m/h is a Carioca 656 on a 08 registered Ducato Iam not familiar with the congestion charges or the LEZ is there a website that I can get details.We were planning on going at the second week in July so hopefully this will be before the Olympic panic and rip offs start

Thanks again

Wallace ;-)

The camping and caravan club is opening a site in Windsor Great park for the olympics it doesn't open till 20th July though and I hear it is £40 per night. (Ouch).

See

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/newsandevents/summer-2012-campsites/windsor-campsite/

for details.

To be honest I would give the whole area a wide berth and head North, the Lakes, Edinburgh anywhere but around the London area.

Hope you enjoy your trip wherever you go.

Archived