Fresnel Lens

Guest machra

Guest machra

Has anyone fitted one of these to a van with plastic rear windows?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wide-angle-fresnel-lens-parking-reversing-van-car-accurately-easy-use-hot-/270881621843?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f11cd8753

I used to have one on an old van I had with glass windows, however having read issues with plastic windows crazing when cling film has been applied to stop covers rubbing I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience when using one of these stick on type fresnel lenses.

Hi Machra,

I fitted a 'Summit Wide Angle Rear Window Lens' from Halfords Link to the Polyplastic rear window in our MH 4 years ago and all appears fine with the window since.

I think the point to note is that it is NOT adhesive and you simply wet it, position it and then let it dry. I'm not sure about the one on eBay as it does say 'Paste', I'd be wary!

I did reposition ours early on as the bike rack obstructed it's view and it peeled off and re-applied with ease without leaving the slightest mark on the window.

I think I'd rather pay a little more for the branded item from Halfords (or Towsure sell a similar product Link).

Keith.

I transferred the flexible plastic fresnel from the (glass) window of my old Transit to the (plastic) window of my new one, four years ago. Sorry I can't remember what brand it is, but it's given me no trouble at all. I can still peel it off occasionally at spring cleaning time, but otherwise it stays put and hasn't damaged the window in any way at all.

Guest ChrisB
machra - 2012-03-12 11:57 PM

Has anyone fitted one of these to a van with plastic rear windows?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wide-angle-fresnel-lens-parking-reversing-van-car-accurately-easy-use-hot-/270881621843?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f11cd8753

I used to have one on an old van I had with glass windows, however having read issues with plastic windows crazing when cling film has been applied to stop covers rubbing I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience when using one of these stick on type fresnel lenses.

This looks identical to the "Summit" product (after all most are probably produced in the same factory and re-branded).

The reference to "paste" is probably wrong - the initial instructions say to use water as normal.

I need a new one so will be ordering - let you know how it compares with the more expensive Halfords/Summit product.

ChrisB - 2012-03-13 5:25 PM

Thanks for the warning - I only looked at the product in the link.

This one looks interesting - wider than the norm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fresnel-Lens-reduce-blind-spots-and-aid-reversing-/190576598984?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Commercial_Vehicles_ET&hash=item2c5f401fc8

OMG, That's a long one :$ :$ :$

The Halford's one measures 178mm x 229mm, Chris's link to eBay 150mm x 450mm.

They are very different sizes so beware!

PS Mine has a single marking on it "REARGUARD".

Keith.

Keithl - 2012-03-13 5:50 PM

ChrisB - 2012-03-13 5:25 PM

Thanks for the warning - I only looked at the product in the link.

This one looks interesting - wider than the norm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fresnel-Lens-reduce-blind-spots-and-aid-reversing-/190576598984?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Commercial_Vehicles_ET&hash=item2c5f401fc8

OMG, That's a long one :$ :$ :$

The Halford's one measures 178mm x 229mm, Chris's link to eBay 150mm x 450mm.

They are very different sizes so beware!

PS Mine has a single marking on it "REARGUARD".

Keith.

Keith-can you see out of your back window with those bikes on the back? Wouldn't have thought a rear lens was much good to you! *-)

Mike B. - 2012-03-13 9:21 PM

Keith-can you see out of your back window with those bikes on the back? Wouldn't have thought a rear lens was much good to you! *-)

Mike,

I've got it in the top LH corner when you look at the back of the MH and it lines up pretty well with the space between the handlebars and saddles of the bikes.

It let's me see to judge distance when I have overtaken a lorry or large vehicle and equally if anyone is tucked in behind that I cannot see in my mirrors.

I originally had it in the lower LH corner which was better without the bikes but no use at all with them on.

PS I've got also got factory fitted reversing sensors fitted.

Keith.

Keithl - 2012-03-13 9:39 PM

Mike B. - 2012-03-13 9:21 PM

Mike,

I've got it in the top LH corner when you look at the back of the MH and it lines up pretty well with the space between the handlebars and saddles of the bikes.

It let's me see to judge distance when I have overtaken a lorry or large vehicle and equally if anyone is tucked in behind that I cannot see in my mirrors.

I originally had it in the lower LH corner which was better without the bikes but no use at all with them on.

PS I've got also got factory fitted reversing sensors fitted.

Keith.

Ah -I see

Thought from your picture the bikes blocked your window completely.

My back window is useles for seeing through. Far too high a view through the interior mirror-that's why I was wondering about fitting one of these lenses. I have a reversing camera at present which I use as a mirror when travelling. I thought they had to be fitted at bottom of window to work

Mike

Mike B. - 2012-03-14 11:45 AM

I thought they had to be fitted at bottom of window to work.

Mike

No Mike, they'll work anywhere on the window. It's just that when mounted at the top you lose some of the nearer view.

For the sake of £14 (or a fiver off eBay if you're a gambler!) I think it is well worth trying one.

Keith.

Guest machra
In the end I bought one of those longer ones in the link posted by Chris B. Arrived within a couple of days. My van has the plastic double glazed windows in the rear door and this fits across most of one of the windows. I chose this one as it is not that tall and so doesnt obstruct the view when we are sat in the lounge. It appears to be OK when van is on the drive at home, I can certainly see closer to the rear of the van, but I will post a better report when we have been away for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChrisB

I had second thoughts about the longer lens so purchased a 10"x8" lens from:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160759342970?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This looks identical to my previous (much more expensive) Summit version - even has the "Rearguard" stamp at the bottom. Only the packaging differs.

At £4.35 including postage (delivered in 2 days) I think it's a bargain.

Just checked and he still has 4 available....

Edit

Forgot to say it's a UK reseller

• 2 years later...

Archived