Its Red meat now!

Dr Dave

Yet again scientists have come up with another warning about food. Red meat will kill you! this about finishes the list of stuff you cant eat drink or enjoy, Last night i had steak and chips and a bottle of red wine i must have been trying to top myself. If we all think what we have been told not to eat / drink or do in the past it should be a LONG LONG list. (lol)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother and I are an interesting case in point. He lived and worked in Africa for many years where veg was expensive but red meat cheap. Fish was non-existant as where chickens.

His cholesterol (the bad one especially) was sky high after a while - so much so that his firm got really worried.

I am from the same genetic mix but can quite frankly do without red meat. I do like a nice Sirloin but that is about it. I love Lamb & Pork but SWMBO does not. So we eat a lot of Vegetarian meals, chicken and fish.

My cholesterol is very low and my BP was 128/78.

My brothers is very high and he is on medication for high BP.

I have been on this "diet" for 30 years now - as long as we have been married and lack of red meat compared to others - my brother in particular would indicate that too much red meat is not good for you. :-S

A little bit of what you fancy does you good so they say and moderation in all things should be the norm, but I do get a little tired of some "expert" popping up now and again saying smoking, drinking, red meat and creamcakes and too much sex are no good for you, so what the hell is good for you?

My medical team have told me that my heart, lungs, kidney's and liver are all in good order and I am still working and eating like a horse at the age of 70 and enjoying life apart from a bit of a niggling problem lurking in the background that might take me out assuming the number 532 bus to Radcliffe doesn't do the job first.

knight of the road - 2012-03-13 8:00 PM

My medical team have told me that my heart, lungs, kidney's and liver are all in good order and I am still working and eating like a horse at the age of 70 and enjoying life apart from a bit of a niggling problem lurking in the background that might take me out assuming the number 532 bus to Radcliffe doesn't do the job first.

Strewth ... you been annoying "Saint Francis of Ass's" again????? :D

Mel B - 2012-03-13 11:08 PM

Strewth ... you been annoying "Saint Francis of Ass's" again????? :D

Mel,

Took me a minute or two to realise you had done a little high lighting, ha ha, I don't have a problem with francis, I know now how not to incur his wrath, anything for a quiet life :D

If one was to take notice of all that these "experts" told you then an early death would be welcome as life would be so bloody boring.

No smoking, I like a couple (well about 3 or 4) cigars a day

No scotch (that aint happening)

No salt no butter and now no red meat

Apart from the sex there would be nothing left and without the above you wouldnt have the energy or desire for that :-S

I drive 35k per year and work in some potentially dangerous environments so I reckon my chances of croaking it are as high if not statistically higher than a macdonalds meal deal. :-D

According to the adverts and scientific advice. We have to check what we eat and drink and when it appears at the other end a bit sharpish you have to tell your doctor, I dont think these experts have ever had a curry. :D :D :D

If you are eating like a horse that backs up the report on the effects of eating red meat. Horses eat very little red meat.

My doctor tells me that even at my age of 70 sex is still good for you. I had and hernia repair recently and asked the surgeon about sex. He smiled and told me. "Tonight you may feel up to it but with the amount of local anaesthetic we have pumped in it won't work. Tomorrow when the anaesthetic has worn off it would work but you wont feel like it. In a few weeks you can resume but just don't go mad for a bit."

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-03-14 2:19 AM

I don't have a problem with francis, I know now how not to incur his wrath, anything for a quiet life :D

So do I Malcolm :D.................................

But I've discovered why the lower orders enjoyed Bear baiting so much (lol) (lol)

This really is most amusing! Why do people get so upset when others try to give them advice that may makes their lives longer and more enjoyable?

One poster writes of "experts" in inverted commas, as though these people are some kind of quacks, when in fact we're talking about a top Harvard University medical research team that spent 28 years monitoring 121,000 men before coming to its conclusion.

These are the same kind of "experts" who established a causal link between smoking and cancer and asbestos and mesothelioma, to name but two. These are the same kind of "experts" whose labours have expanded our life by about twenty years over the last few generations.

But here's the important bit folks - there's no need to get all upset and rant about health and safety gone mad - this is just advice, no one is forcing you to do anything.

Personally, I have taken the advice but you don't have to. If you find asbestos, ignore the "experts" and deal with it yourself. Carry on smoking forty cigarettes a day if you like and drinking half a bottle of whisky, no one is stopping you. After all, what do these "experts" know?

As has been said, we get one life and we should enjoy it. Now you can ignore common sense and, like the residents of certain parts of Glasgow, live to the ripe old age of 60. Or you can make some very minor changes to your lifestyle and enjoy a fuller, fitter and healthier life until your eighties or even longer.

But if people would rather live a shorter life and have bronchitis, and bowel cancer just because they're too stupid to make some modest changes to their diet and eat red meat and processed meat a little less often, that's their choice. If they want to smoke and drink, that's their choice, let them get on with it.

So to sum up, when you're given good advice, heed it or ignore it, but if your life span does end up being shortened by ten years and the last few years are blighted by ill health please don't blame the "experts", they did warn you!

What really does perplex me though is that, for some people, any form of safety or health advice is seen as an insult to them. Read the thread about bungee cords in Motorhome Matters. I must admit to not having given much thought to the dangers of a snapping bungee cord but, from the number of accidents attributed to them, it would seem that many people have also not given it much thought.

Most people would be grateful for this gentle reminder but no, off go the 'health and safety gone mad' fraternity who, from their reactions, would make you think that they'd been forced to go an a 'bungee awareness course' at a cost of hundreds of pounds! Most odd!

I now expect the usual hysterical reaction from those who think that trying to make us all a bit safer and healthier has undermined the entire fabric of the nation!

I don't understant why they need to investigate this as it's common sense that processed any food contains additives that are not good in exess, just moderation in all thnigs will give you a better life. These supposed experts damage their results by lumping everyone together, some people have more resistance to poor health than others. I am fortunate in that I have good health an do not seem prone to health problems that others less fortunate than myself are. As an apprentice plumber I hand mixed asbestos lagging from its brown paper bags into a bucket of water but we are told that exposure to asbestos is virtualy terminal by the experts and I'm 3weeks from my 3score and 10. If they didn't use scare tactics their results might be more accepted. might be a muppet but do I care ?. John (lol)

Archived