Dick Strawbridge slow cooker

dutchwoman

After reading this months mag, I was interested to see Dick used a 12v slow cooker to prepare his 3 course meal. Can anyone advise which one he used and are they plugged into the cigarette lighter or the 12v plug in my Eldiss van? Can they be used when you are driving?

Thanks

dutchwoman - 2012-03-13 4:51 PM

After reading this months mag, I was interested to see Dick used a 12v slow cooker to prepare his 3 course meal. Can anyone advise which one he used and are they plugged into the cigarette lighter or the 12v plug in my Eldiss van? Can they be used when you are driving?

Thanks

I thought it was a mains slow cooker operated via an inverter.

As to using one when driving, having a container of hot food/liquid in a moving vehicle sounds downright dangerous to me (sealed flasks excepted).

Quote from P39 of April MMM...

"The power is important to us techies as it will only draw 6.5 Amps from a 12v inverter."

So Yes, a mains jobbie run off an inverter.

Keith.

Edit. But I disagree with his battery life calculation.

He says if you use it for 8 hours it will consume 52 Amp hours.

OK so far, but he then says this is half the charge of a 110 Amp hour battery and will leave "juice to spare".

I thought you should not discharge a leisure battery below 50% so where does his "juice to spare" coming from?

Yes it was a small 1.5 litre 800w mains one, which he said would only draw 6.5 amps from a 12v inverter and using it for 8 hours he states it would use 52 amp hours (6.5 amps x 8 hours) so about half the charge of a 110 amp battery.

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but IMV that is just plain daft!!! I can't possibly believe that it is recommended to run anything like this for that length of time (when you are static) from a leisure battery and deplete it by so much just to get a stew or summut! 8-)

Derek Uzzell, in a posting about a year or so ago, said:

As for recharging of leisure batteries, received wisdom seems to be that they should not be discharged below a 50% charge state.

Taking into account the 110 amp battery might not be fully charged anyway, or may not be as efficient as it was when new, and that other things could also need to be used such as lighting, heating (the ignition part) etc, I really, really find it illogical that someone like Dick would recommend such a piece of equipment be used in this way. I am a big fan of Dick but I think in this regard he really hasn't considered the possible problems that could easily be encountered from his actions - to me it shows his inexperience as a motorhomer.

If, however, you are travelling and putting the juice back into the battery which the slow cooker is taking, that is a different matter.

I agree it isn't a good idea to have something like this 'loose' in the motorhome next to you whilst travelling, however, if you put it pot in the sink and close the glass cover, or in the washroom in a washing-up bowl and close the door (make sure the slow cooker/bowl can't move around in there) - you can easily use an extension lead if needed to reach the slow cooker (if you use the sink, make sure the water is turned off for safety!). :-S

colin - 2012-03-13 8:11 PM

AFAIK a slow cooker will not use 800wX 8hrs, at least ours doesn't, it switchs on and off with some kind of thermostat.

Yup, I thought that would be the case, however working on Dick's logic, he thinks it will use a lot of power and I still think using in the way he is suggesting is flawed. :-S

I don't understand why do you need a slow cooker, which needs electric (240/12 v) what ever.

I have always used a pressure cooker, it makes meat very tender, can do whole meals and does not take much power (uses gas) or time Makes super sponge or suet puds. I had one as a present over 50 years ago, and would not be without one i use mine more at home than I used the microwave

PJay

Thanks everyone for your comments. We were looking to have something we could use when wild and not use up the gas. A pressure cooker is a bit bulky for our storage if they are the same size as the one we had 30 years ago!

It did look like the slow cooker Dick used was plugged in near his worktop, so perhaps it was connected via an inverter.

Back to the drawing board.

But you can get a 12v Slow Cooker :-D

Have a look at this one from Roadpro... Link.

Spec says power consumption is 80W or approx 7A and that it comes with a securing lid strap for use on the move!

Keith.

Edit. How about powering it with a 80W solar panel and cooking dinner for free :-D :-D :-D

Or even better make yourselve a hay box, polystyrene lined cardboard box, boil up your casserole on the gas then transfer it to the box, poly is lightweight, flatpack the box when not in use!

simples! maybe too much boy scout?

Snail

Keithl - 2012-03-13 6:02 PM

Quote from P39 of April MMM...

"The power is important to us techies as it will only draw 6.5 Amps from a 12v inverter."

So Yes, a mains jobbie run off an inverter.

Keith.

And then you have the loss through the inverter. So the resultant drain on the battery will be over 52Ah.

dutchwoman - 2012-03-14 7:19 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. We were looking to have something we could use when wild and not use up the gas. A pressure cooker is a bit bulky for our storage if they are the same size as the one we had 30 years ago!

It did look like the slow cooker Dick used was plugged in near his worktop, so perhaps it was connected via an inverter.

Back to the drawing board.

You are right, about Pressure cooker being big 30 years ago. my first one was. You can now get smaller ones, no bigger than a medium size saucepan, one of mine is made by " Butterfly" I think, got it at a boat show some years ago. Got another one from Asda, also

PJay

I've just got a small (5L?) pressure cooker from our local B&M store for £9.99, on offer from £14.99. It is no larger than the largest of the pans we take away with us normally in the motorhome and this stacks in it so no problem with storage although I have removed the bottom part of the handle (1 screw) to make it take up even less space (we have daft inward curving doors on some of our cupboards which restrict the depth) so when I want to use it, it'll only take 30 seconds to re-assemble it.

I've used a pressure cooker since I was a kid and you simply cannot beat them for speed and ease of use - plus as the spuds and veg all go into one pot, even with a 2-ring hob, you can easily cook a tasty meal plus once the pressure is up (about 3 mins max) you turn the gas low so it uses very little.

There are lots of different makes/sizes of pressure cookers out there now to choose from, I would say for a couple 4L-5L is the size you would need, for a single person a 2L-3L would be sufficient. I originally got a 1.5 litre Hawkins pressure cooker but as soon as my Mum saw it she wanted it and it's perfect for her.

Glad to see that the younger generation (Mel B) still use pressure cookers. I think they are great and make tougher meat a lot tender. i was surprised ( and pleased ) to see the winner of MASTER CHEF , use one for her mutton dish

PJay

PJay !!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)

Thanks for the compliment about being one of the 'younger generation'. :D

BUT .... I haven't watched the Masterchef final yet (I've recorded it) and as there was only one one female, now I know that Shelina has won! *-) I thought she would though - I won't tell hubby so it doesn't spoil it for him. :$

As for pressure cookers - my Mum used one so I got 'used' to them from a very early age - with a family of 7 to feed it made sense to have one. You cannot beat a gammon joint cooked in one - so tasty and moist, or a nice stew which I like to make the day before and let it sit (stew!) as the flavour gets even better. :-D

Keithl - 2012-03-14 7:30 AM

But you can get a 12v Slow Cooker :-D

Have a look at this one from Roadpro... Link.

Spec says power consumption is 80W or approx 7A and that it comes with a securing lid strap for use on the move!

Keith.

But it's only 80 watts any guesses on how many days to cook your dinner? (lol) & how many flat batteries? (lol)

Guest Peter James

I am very much a pressure cooker fan too.

A few meatballs. couple of cups of water, and your veg, all cooked beautifully in minutes.

Same ingredients as a a roast dinner, but better because all the goodness in the water it was boiled in is retained. Just thicken said water with gravy granules, or for a healthier alternative by mashing the potatoes, or broken bread, or (my favourite) adding passata (ready made liquidised tomatoes)

Healthy, economical, and absolutely delicious.

Also excellent for steaming fish.

PS: The cheaper pressure cookers may not be as efficient as they tend to be thinner metal operating at lower pressure. A good one (like Prestige) goes up to about 15psi. Invest a bit more in the cooker and you will get it back with the saving in fuel and time.

Lakeland do a stainless steel 1.5 litre nominal capacity slow cooker for £20. It is 120W so @ 230V about 0.5A on mains. Don't know the efficiency of inverters, but say 80%? So at 12V, you'd need about 12A to feed the inverter. Run the cooker for 6 - 8 hours assuming 50% on 50% off (safe assumption?), = say 48Ah draw for one meal. As Mel has already pointed out, it cannot be guaranteed that your battery starts at 100% charge. Many leisure batteries are only 80Ah capacity, and many should not be discharged below 50% capacity. Soooooooooooo, in an ideal world, one slow cooked meal should be possible, but it is extremely unlikely two would be. Even after the one meal the battery should be re-charged immediately, because it will be near exhausted and there are bound to be further demands on its depleted capacity.

I don't know why Strawbridge was invited to do these pieces. He is a sometimes amusing character off the "telly" and is plainly inventive and knowledgeable, but he is equally not a motorhomer and does not yet know enough about motorhomes to say anything of much use on the subject. Why do we have this asinine preoccupation with celebrity? The mag is supposed to be about motorhomes and motorhoming, yet seems recently to have turned into a cookery mag of somewhat dubious reliability. Has no-one at MMM noticed that most motorhomers are fairly mature people, so can reasonably be assumed to have got beyond the egg boiling stage in cooking. Or is it just me - again! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-25 6:25 PM

I don't know why Strawbridge was invited to do these pieces. He is a sometimes amusing character off the "telly" and is plainly inventive and knowledgeable, but he is equally not a motorhomer and does not yet know enough about motorhomes to say anything of much use on the subject. Why do we have this asinine preoccupation with celebrity? The mag is supposed to be about motorhomes and motorhoming, yet seems recently to have turned into a cookery mag of somewhat dubious reliability. Has no-one at MMM noticed that most motorhomers are fairly mature people, so can reasonably be assumed to have got beyond the egg boiling stage in cooking. Or is it just me - again! :-D

I'm guessing it's about trying to widen the 'appeal' of MMM, there's been plenty of complaints, many of them on this forum, of the mag being 'stale' and putting out the same old thing. Well be carefull what you wish, next it might be Katy Price 8-)

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2012-03-25 9:13 PM

I'm guessing it's about trying to widen the 'appeal' of MMM, there's been plenty of complaints, many of them on this forum, of the mag being 'stale' and putting out the same old thing. Well be carefull what you wish, next it might be Katy Price 8-)

Maybe she could do a feature on the correct use of airbags :-D

Archived