Telescopic ladders...

pepe63xnotuse

Does anyone on here routinely carry one of those telescopic ladders around with them in their van..?

It's just that I've always carried(..the same!) couple of rolls of waterproof tape,"just in case" a roof light or window needed repairing whilst we where away ...and yet,unless I could borrow a ladder,I'd have no way of getting up to the roof anyway.... *-)

..I just wondered if a cheap(ish) one of these would be worth lugging about..?

(..after all,we do tend to carry other stuff which,all going well,we never use...spare wheel/extra jack/towropes etc..)

I looked at them because I need some way of getting up to fix my awning (it is a 6 metre GH awning and different to the Fiamma types). The telescopic ones are expensive and heavy. As I have a false floor which extends from the cab to the rear of the van, I just bought some lightweight 7 tread stepladders.

I have seen cheaper versions on sale now and again at some of the bargain stores. They may be inferior quality though. Screwfix might be worth a look at as their prices are usually fair enough. You might be lucky to find them on special offer at some time.

We find the ladder for the Luton bed , works for us. Just put a tea towel over the end that leans against the van. Won't reach the roof ' but will be able to reach up to it, We're able to adjust our awing from it, if it doesn't roll in correctly, (which it sometimes dose not!)

PJay

Thanks for all your thoughts...

I don't think I need be rushing out and getting a professional/trade quaility set..but if I do happen upon some which are cheap(..as in "Sunday market" stylie),as they won't be used very much(if at all?),then I may get myself a set...

Thanks again.

Guest peter
Minstrel - 2012-03-14 6:32 PM

Surely you can get out of one of the roof windows to do repairs, stand on your table and heave yourself up, or get a bunk up from your wife!

That's what I would do as well. :D (lol) ;-)

I've got one from maplins like Dave Newell's £69.00. Not exactly lightweight though, but strongly made and comes in a carrying bag.

BGD - 2012-03-16 11:31 PM

Maybe just park next to a suitable wall if you need to get onto van roof in an emergency......................I've done this when I had to clamber up onto the MH roof whilst away from home.

I am lucky in that I've got a flat roof garage the same height as my motorhome right next to my van. Drive to within 30cm, then I can work on the roof with no problems quite safely.

Archived