Protect our Postmen.

francisgraham

In the Telegraph this morning there is a report that the Royal Mail is commissioning an inquiry into the number of attacks on postmen by dogs. It's about 4000 every year and some have suffered serious injuries.

The cost to the Royal Mail in the last year alone has been 4,100 lost working days.

On the opposite page was an article on the Scilly Isles, where residents were complaining about more and more people using golf buggies to drive the short distance to the golf club. This is the practice that now attracts the highest number of complaints from the islanders after dog fouling!

Responsible dogs owners eh? 

I couldn't find the Telegraph article on-line but here's the Independent:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We had two Jack Russell Terrorists at one time and if any thing came through the letter box and we didn't get to the door before the dogs it was shredded, I fixed a  catcher basket to the door once but the terrorists soon had that off,so I can see how Postmen would get bitten,  when you keep a dog it becomes territorial [ generally ] and wants to protect what it sees as it's domain, no excuse to bite the postman I know but that's how it is, It is a foolish person who enters a  property where a dog is loose, unless one is sure that it is safe to do so, but the Postman has little choice and I believe that if a Postman feels threatened he/ she can refuse to deliver to a house. I don't have dogs now and in fact am becoming a bit anti dog, [ s**t machines ] more anti owners actually.

A post box near your garden gate, a bit like they do in America, that would eliminate the problem. It would help the paper (boy, girl) also, but they look to be a dying breed nowadays.

And if the owners are the irresponsible type, a good place to return their dog crap.

Dave

Guest pelmetman

I frequently read in the papers or see on the news about packs of wild animals that roam the streets of our larger cities attacking and killing people on a regular basis 8-)

But that's kids for you now days *-)

pelmetman - 2012-03-15 12:10 PM

I frequently read in the papers or see on the news about packs of wild animals that roam the streets of our larger cities attacking and killing people on a regular basis 8-)

Is that the Daily Mail ?

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2012-03-15 12:13 PM

Is that the Daily Mail ?

;-)

Eight teenagers have died in London already this year, including Negus McLean, 15, who was chased by seven youths on bicycles before being stabbed. Earlier this month Yemurai Kanyangarara, 16, died after being stabbed in the neck – two 15-years-old youths and a 14-year-old boy have since been arrested.

No Malc the Guardian ;-)

But knife crimes pales into insignificance when compared to the scourge of dog p**s (lol) (lol).......

To some people ;-)

Well..unless these "kids" are attacking postmen(postpersons?),then I don't really see the connection with the OP?....

...and I alway think that people trying to justify the behaviour of animals,by comparing it to that of humans, to be most odd.... :-S

(...Are we to be believe that because someone's got stabbed,that makes it okay for dogs to bite people then?) :-S

Fancy trawling the internet to find a reference that suits your position FG - who would have thought it?

Anyway - if you want a sensible view on what should be done on dangerous dogs - I suggest people at least research a source that has expertise in the area.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/d/dangerousdogsact/consultationresponse.aspx#.T2HgCMXVySo

As a responsible dog owner I agree with Dog Trusts view that the Dangerous Dogs act should apply to private dwellings and so be able to protect Postmen and other delivery guys.

Perhaps some non-dog owners should check out the meaning of the word "responsible" to see if it realistically applies to them.

Whilst I would not wish to minimise the trauma of any dog attack - it should be noted that Postmen have a very generous compensation scheme - details are available from the RM website but is behind a paywall.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12536

Posties are the obvious target for a dangerous dog as they generally call each day. But are their stats representative if there are £'s attached to any reported attack?

Whatever your views on this - WE HAVE TO GET RID OF THE ABOMINATION OF STATUS DOGS OWNED BY idiotS.

But equally it would be nice if the ignorant dog haters accepted the fact that there are responsible dog owners and pleasant friendly dogs and that describing the term "responsible dog owners" as an oxymoron is stupid.

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-03-15 12:53 PM

Well..unless these "kids" are attacking postmen(postpersons?),then I don't really see the connection with the OP?....

...and I alway think that people trying to justify the behaviour of animals,by comparing it to that of humans, to be most odd.... :-S

(...Are we to be believe that because someone's got stabbed,that makes it okay for dogs to bite people then?) :-S

Just suggesting that perhaps some should sort out their priorities.................and maybe feral kids are a bigger danger...........As they are often the Idiots with the dangerous dogs...............

But there again feral kids are a nice earner for our lawyers ;-)

CliveH - 2012-03-15 12:57 PMFancy trawling the internet to find a reference that suits your position FG - who would have thought it?Anyway -

As usual you you haven't understand what's been read. I sometimes think that you take some things so literally that, if I called you a 'silly billy', you'd spend the next month accusing me of not even knowing your name.

But anyway, I'll explain it in the simplest of terms for you!

This morning I was reading the Daily Telegraph and this report and the one about the Scilly Isles were on adjacent pages. Go and buy it and see for yourself! I didn't 'trawl' the Internet to find this report. Most people would have worked that out immediately.

Having mentioned this report I know that there are some who may accuse me of making it up, so I felt it sensible to paste in the link.

So I typed about three relevant words into a search engine but the Telegraph report didn't come up. Now if I'd really wanted to 'trawl' the Internet I could have found the Telegraph version but it occurred to me that, to some people on here, the Guardian may be viewed as an even more reliable source, so I copied that. I think that my 'trawling' took one minute!

I hope that you are able to understand that Billy. Oops, sorry, it's Clive isn't it?

CliveH - 2012-03-15 12:57 PM

....Whatever your views on this - WE HAVE TO GET RID OF THE ABOMINATION OF STATUS DOGS OWNED BY idiotS.

But equally it would be nice if the ignorant dog haters accepted the fact that there are responsible dog owners and pleasant friendly dogs....

Clive..obviously I'd agree very much with that top paragraph...

However,as for that second paragraph...I'll just relay something that happened this morning(...but not uncommon,any other morning of the week though...).

I've come back from a walk down "our" lane,to pop to the shop.The lane is pedestrian only,none tarmac,treelined pathway,with a public right of way along it(..seeing as it's probably a very old,maybe ancient route,it looks like it belongs in "the Shire" in Lord of The rings! (lol) ).

Now on the "outward" walk,I came across three separate people(funnily enough,all with three dogs each),none of these dogs were on leads but that in itself didn't seem a problem as all the dogs stayed "pretty much" with their owners..

I stopped and chatted with each of these people...exchanged pleasantries...nice weather..blahblah..stroked the dogs etc...

However,on the way back,I found the lane outside our house to be absolutely peppered with dog sh*t!..Now this can only have come from the dogs belonging to these nice,pleasant friendly,none "idiot"(..dare I say,"responsible" looking?) folk I'd chatted with,only some 5mins earlier!...

>:-(

Now if me being grossly offended by this kind of out and out selfish,disgusting,thoughtless behaviour,risks me getting labelled as an "ignorant dog hater",then so be it...

(..maybe I should go and "fly tip" the contents of my kitchen bin on their driveway?..and see if they turn out to be "ignorant bin haters"?.. 8o| )

To ALL dog owners on here..

Rather than getting all defensive and circling your wagons, at the first signs of any criticisms aimed at dogs,maybe it'd be better if you directed your venon at the dog owners who are giving the rest of you "responsible" owners a bad name....Just a thought.... *-)

Symbol Owner - 2012-03-15 1:45 PMSorry F.G., I think that your 'trawl' got the Independent -- here's the latesy Guardian one that I can find -- it says pretty much the same thing.Cheers, Colin.

Apologies, you're right. They're both liberal left rags! There was a Guardian one in the Google list but I chose the first one! But my point is obviously the same as you clearly understand.

francisgraham - 2012-03-15 1:25 PM
CliveH - 2012-03-15 12:57 PMFancy trawling the internet to find a reference that suits your position FG - who would have thought it?Anyway -

As usual you you haven't understand what's been read. I sometimes think that you take some things so literally that, if I called you a 'silly billy', you'd spend the next month accusing me of not even knowing your name.

But anyway, I'll explain it in the simplest of terms for you!

This morning I was reading the Daily Telegraph and this report and the one about the Scilly Isles were on adjacent pages. Go and buy it and see for yourself! I didn't 'trawl' the Internet to find this report. Most people would have worked that out immediately.

Having mentioned this report I know that there are some who may accuse me of making it up, so I felt it sensible to paste in the link.

So I typed about three relevant words into a search engine but the Telegraph report didn't come up. Now if I'd really wanted to 'trawl' the Internet I could have found the Telegraph version but it occurred to me that, to some people on here, the Guardian may be viewed as an even more reliable source, so I copied that. I think that my 'trawling' took one minute!

I hope that you are able to understand that Billy. Oops, sorry, it's Clive isn't it?
Whose a touchy boy then?Oooer! - touched a nerve there - still nice of your Robin to put you right Batman.RBilly

CliveH - 2012-03-15 2:37 PMWhose a touchy boy then?Oooer! - touched a nerve there - still nice of your Robin to put you right Batman.RBilly

"Whose (sic) a touchy boy then?"

Flipping 'eck. If you think that my response displays touchiness, your recent ones indicate that your entire frame must be one huge quivering mass!

But I'll translate a bit of CliveH-speak for those who haven't learned it yet! This is what he actually meant:

"Well Francis has made me look a bit of an idiot again, so I'd better just throw in a snide little comment about his nerve being touched or tell everyone that I posted just to hook him and hope that no one notices!"

Poor old silly Billy!

By the way, 'whose' is an interrogative pronoun, as in 'Whose car is this?" What you meant to say is: "Who is a touchy boy ....." so when you contract  'who is' you use an apostrophe to substitute for the missing letter(s) and write"'Who's a silly boy then?" It's not really difficult. 

Please don't thank me for the lesson, I'd be embarrassed.

Guest pelmetman
francisgraham - 2012-03-15 2:56 PMBy the way, 'whose' is an interrogative pronoun, as in 'Whose car is this?" What you meant to say is: "Who is a touchy boy ....." so when you contract  'who is' you use an apostrophe to substitute for the missing letter(s) and write"'Who's a silly boy then?" It's not really difficult. 

Please don't thank me for the lesson, I'd be embarrassed.

I see you've reverted to default mode again Francis ;-)PS ...............Is this the first thread you have ever started?................See... you like over here in Chatterbox really (lol) (lol)

pepe63 - 2012-03-15 2:18 PM

However,on the way back,I found the lane outside our house to be absolutely peppered with dog sh*t!..Now this can only have come from the dogs belonging to these nice,pleasant friendly,none "idiot"(..dare I say,"responsible" looking?) folk I'd chatted with,only some 5mins earlier!...

I beg to differ, Your little (convenient to the thread) story infers that there are only 9 dogs in the part of Shropshire where you live, and all 9 choose to cr4p outside your house, Hmmm. *-)

It could very well have been a dog that walked in the same direction way as you, but 2 mins behind you, thus you wouldn't have seen it as it would have passed you whilst you were in the shop.

Did you remonstrate with the dog owners you claim to have been chatting with about their 3 dogs (in each case) not being on leads? did you tell the 2nd and 3rd person to take care as there were lots of other dogs, all without leads in the close vicinity? Of course you didn't, because that would lessen the impact of your tale.

Lastly, the little rural lane you describe sound lovely, your description of it also suggests it is used by local people who would be frequent visitors, and also quite regular in the times they walked their dogs, therefore, on your next trip to the shops or even about the same time tomorrow, just wait for the same people to follow their routine and have it out with them.

But that won't happen will it?

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-03-15 2:18 PM

However,as for that second paragraph...I'll just relay something that happened this morning(...but not uncommon,any other morning of the week though...).

I've come back from a walk down "our" lane,to pop to the shop.The lane is pedestrian only,none tarmac,treelined pathway,with a public right of way along it(..seeing as it's probably a very old,maybe ancient route,it looks like it belongs in "the Shire" in Lord of The rings! (lol) ).

Now on the "outward" walk,I came across three separate people(funnily enough,all with three dogs each),none of these dogs were on leads but that in itself didn't seem a problem as all the dogs stayed "pretty much" with their owners..

I stopped and chatted with each of these people...exchanged pleasantries...nice weather..blahblah..stroked the dogs etc...

If it's a regular dog walk then I'd ask the parish council to install dog bins..............Just a thought ;-)

Hi Dave..Yes,there is a bin at the one end of the path(..along with several council signs about dog fouling and fines etc)but from the evidence we see on the ground(...along with little plastic bags festooning the bushes!)it doesn't look like the bin gets used much...! :-S

To Donna..

What are you on about?..You "beg to differ"..?! .."lessen" my "..tale.."?! 8-)

So you were you there,outside my house?...They were your dogs?.....No..?

Well in that case,don't call me a liar then!... 8-)

And I don't' "claim" to have chatted with anyone..I'm relaying the fact that I did!...

...and where on earth,did I say that there were only nine dogs in my part of Shrophire??...I said I saw 9 on my walk to the shop(.. a neighbour up the lane,suggested that they may be dog "walker/sitters")..

As for which dog's backside it came from,well I must admit,I didn't take any DNA samples!?...I wasn''t aware that,as a now,ex-dog owner,I should be asking if I can take swabs,when I encounter a dog owner? *-) ...

....but one thing's for sure,it came from some dog(s) ar*e(s) and it hadn't been cleared up by it's owner or keeper!... >:-(

As for remonstrating with them..When I've caught dogs in the act of defecating in the past,I have(and will again)...I've even had words with one chap who I caught "pretending" to do the bag pick up thing,when he saw me coming,only for me see it still there,when I reached it... :-S

However as is all too common(..as is displayed on these and other forums)dog owners seem quick to deny all knowledge,look the other way and insist that their's wouldn't do such a thing... *-)

But of cause,no dog owner is going to admit to letting their dog foul are they...but the evidence shows that a good many do!.... *-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-03-15 5:07 PM

Hi Dave..Yes,there is a bin at the one end of the path(..along with several council signs about dog fouling and fines etc)but from the evidence we see on the ground(...along with little plastic bags festooning the bushes!)it doesn't look like the bin gets used much...! :-S

I'd be inclined to put a few home made posters up saying "You are being filmed and those not picking up after their dog will appear on U Tube".................and see what happens ;-)

Archived