Satnav traffic reports

Guest ChrisB

Guest ChrisB

Still getting used to my Garmin 1490LMT (after a long-time TomTom user) and now looking at the “Traffic” function.

Previously I had dutifully plugged the FM antenna into the adaptor on the 12v power lead and (eventually) received the traffic status symbol on the screen (I gather that this can take up to an hour to appear?).

Anyway, on a recent trip along the M1 from the Nottingham to London I forgot the antenna but was surprised to find that the traffic option was still operational – symbol on screen. Does this mean the antenna is only needed if the radio signal is weak?

The on-screen display correctly told me of a 30min delay around Watford (accident). I didn’t investigate alternative routes at the time as I was unsure the information was correct. Do others find the traffic reports worthwhile and how do you respond?

On the TomTom the Traffic receiver was a separate plug-in device (I didn’t buy this) and without it no information was received.

Finally (so many questions) is the traffic service available in France?

On our TomTom Via live the system for traffic reports and local weather is built in, it does require an annual fee.

When we first got it I took it out when going shooting to see how it would cope being offroad, when I noticed it showing a road five miles away being blocked, on looking throu scope it was indeed correct and I could see the traffic jam.

I've never had to use the plug in extension, the short length of antennae in the lead itself has always been adequate.

Depending on the lead and unit foreign services are available and just appear automatically. Coverage is patchy though.

You'll need to check on the spec of the lead and unit to see if you have the european functionality.

Like most of these services, there are not absolutely real time and some of the delays that I've been warned of have not been there on the ground. Some have though!

My van TomTom is a dash integrated unit fitted by Hobby in the Transit (triples up as the radiio and the reat view camera display) shows traffic over much of Europe. Was very useful last year in Germany and Italy.

The only problem with it that it sometimes shows issues 200 miles away on the route that you might not see for another 3 or 4 hours and often the problem has disappeared by the time you get there. Also sometimes when you have taken up the alternative route it's worth checking back on the original route before you start to follow a long diversion

cheers alan

colin - 2012-03-15 3:38 PM

On our TomTom Via live the system for traffic reports and local weather is built in, it does require an annual fee.

When we first got it I took it out when going shooting to see how it would cope being offroad, when I noticed it showing a road five miles away being blocked, on looking throu scope it was indeed correct and I could see the traffic jam.

Not only traffic jams, but updates on price of diesel locally, supermarkets etc, still trying to get it to price up the best price of Sausages in the area just need to find the right button, any help please??

Guest JudgeMental
I dont trust the traffic warning on my Nuvi 775, it has a tendency to want to re route us and if I ignore it I have yet to come across major delays..........With traffic density now so high, traffic very hard to avoid anyway, but probably handy for major delays due to accidents etc......

The Garmin 1690 (which I assume is similar to yours) does not have a separate antenae to find traffic reports etc.

Whilst it seems accurate in the UK, last year in France it did not warn/show up any traffic holdups on the roads I was using.

The "New-link" services which may be included in your model shows latest fuel prices, Google search etc.

Archived