Kogan 12 Volt TVs

Dr Dave

Guest 1footinthegrave
Horses for courses, but I would never deal with a company who do not publish their address on their website, good luck if you go for it. I have a Cello branded 12 volt LED TV with DVD player which does the job, although the sound as with a lot of these cheaper sets is pretty poor ;-)

We just bought a Luxor 19" from Asda which looks like a similar spec, it was £119 so not quite the bargain that the Kogan seems.

We did also buy a stabilised 12V supply which is more expensive than a straight forward 12V power supply lead which was another 40 odd quid.

But for a 'cheap' telly we're delighted with it. LED screen is great and viewing angles are fine for the motorhome and sound quality seems very good to.

Have you thought of buying a 230V TV and running it via an inverter? Others have commented that the 12V sets can be sensitive to voltage, and 12V supplies in vans are more or less never 12V. The inverter will deliver a better 230V supply than the van will deliver 12V, and you then gain access to the full range of UK spec'd 230V TVs. Consumption of most, especially the LED variety is low, so a large inverter is not required, although you may need a pure sine, rather than modified sine, to cater for all eventualities. Have a look at Road Pro's catalogue here: http://tinyurl.com/7nulhjt for some idea.

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-16 3:43 PM

Have you thought of buying a 230V TV and running it via an inverter? Others have commented that the 12V sets can be sensitive to voltage, and 12V supplies in vans are more or less never 12V. The inverter will deliver a better 230V supply than the van will deliver 12V, and you then gain access to the full range of UK spec'd 230V TVs. Consumption of most, especially the LED variety is low, so a large inverter is not required, although you may need a pure sine, rather than modified sine, to cater for all eventualities. Have a look at Road Pro's catalogue here: http://tinyurl.com/7nulhjt for some idea.

Thanks for that Brian actually i have got a 12v to 12v converter with an input range of 12 to 16 volt it was just the quality of the TV that i wanted some feedback on. I have seen many reviews an an Australian web site that seem to indicate they are of reasonable quality.

Dave.

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-16 3:43 PM

Hi Brian,

I am actually using a cheap 1200 watt £28.00 invertor of ebay luckly it worked fine

From my experience the viewing angle is key to what to expect from a small TV. If you are resticted in mounting and seating, you may find that the angle of view of screen will give washed out colours and matt blacks.

Viewing a screen in the shop, is not the same as trying to angle the set on a vesa mounting and sitting in a m/home. Bearing in mind that generally speaking two (or more) people do not sit side by side. so if you use the driving seats , each side of the center line maybe just enough to give you false colurs.

We started with a Currys special worked ok but found the above problems (set still works @ home) and upgraded to an Avtex

Rgds

.....I'd agree with the comments about viewing angle, but would also add the issue of poor sound, particularly in the very slim sets.

Having looked at many of the current very slim offerings (the size and weight obviously being attractive for motorhome use), I'd be very wary of buying any such unit sight unseen.

I have an Amperor voltage stabiliser, so effectively have the (safe) option of almost any TV fed by a 12v "power brick" whether it expects a stabilised supply or not.

I was lucky enough some years ago to pick up a Tesco special (Technika), which notably had much better viewing angles and sound than any other set I could then find (it was rapidly superseded by another, inferior, model). It could hardly be described as slimline.

The current bevy of sets in the shops vary widely in both viewing angle and sound, but I haven't seen one that comes anywhere near my current unit for performance.

If Dave also has, as he says, a stabiliser, I'd be inclined to have a good look around the various "high street" TV retailers and check out the horizontal and vertical viewing angles, and sound, before purchasing.

There are numerous small sets around, and a few up to 19", (not far off the Kogan price point) which could be fed by a stabiliser. I've been rather underwhelmed by what I've seen so far (though for our TV use in the 'van, I couldn't justify 19", so haven't looked in depth at those available).

Just to add that those lucky enough to have double din radio / reversing camera / dvd setups. It is possible to route the audio and video signal to and from the radio to TV setup.

I have my sat tuner/ DVD TV playing through the car radio system, which has better quality and also is quieter because we sit by the speakers.

The signal was split on a scart / scart / din socket adaptor similar to http://www.maplin.co.uk/scart-to-3-phono-adaptor-28831

Rgds

Archived